No headlights on the way home tonight - dipped beam that is

Flickering lights suggests a power delivery issue (imho), so therefore I would check the wiring, but it may well be the stalk. Try some switch cleaner as a first step.

Did they both flicker an go off, no harm in go with the bulbs first as it will be the cheaper option, flickering could be indicitive of a filament thats making and braking contact. If it were the stalk then repeatedly operating between main and dipped would have got them working again after main beam use.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I've got a similar problem, started with intermittent dipped lights, main beams and sides worked fine. Now today only side lights will work, if you pull the main beam flash on the stem the mb lights work, but if you flick it forward then they don't ! All fuses are fine and I am looking at the relays at the moment as I discovered the windscreen was leaking onto them.... Any other ideas ??? I'm not sure exactly which relay operates the lights, reading conflicting info as to which one it is!!! Please help!

Hi guys, sorry for the bump but I thought I'd recycle this topic.

I am in a similar situation as the original poster, my dipped beams started to flicker off for around half a second before coming back on again. They then would not work at all after the main beam has been used. My foglights, main beam and sidelights are all working as normal.

HOWEVER

I have tried just now, the morning after the night before as it were, and they work as normal? Flicking on and off the main beams yesterday would kill the dipped lights, but just now they were fine.

In my limited knowledge, I'd guess that:

Fuses are fine

Bulbs are fine

Possibly faulty stalk?

Does that sound right? I literally know nothing!

Any help appreciated, I will be taking it to a mechanic but any pointers would be great. Thanks!

Skinnyman, one possible cause is that when the 1st bulb blew it caused a surge which took the 2nd one with it.

N.W,

Is the relay flicking too or does it come on and stay on even when the ligts are flickeing. if it flickers the problems back towards the switch. if not the pproblems in the high current feed to the lights somewhere. might be worth changing the relay first as that's the on/off switch in effect. I'm assuming both lights flicker, if so could pop into hlfords to see where the common wiring is/where it seperates etc. a volt meter would help you find how far the power has got

• 7 years later...

Hello guys

I have similar problem  on mk1 2009 octavia 

Before 15 days i noticed that on small bump my low/dipped beam turned off and then turnd on..

After that everything was ok..

Last night i was driving home high beam were turned on by stalk..

After i switched to low beam (h4 bulb) they turned off i tried to turn them on but its not working 

i checked fuses they are ok

checked bulbs ok

checked switch its working continuity between pins 1 and 4 when switch is on low beam

I also tried cleaning stalk with contact spray no change

i checked voltage at lights low beam 8v (when switch turned on)

on high beam 10.5v (car not turned on just contact)

All other functions work just not low beam ( no green light on dashboard )

On 21/09/2020 at 11:43, Mujka said:

mk1 2009 octavia

As I think already mentioned, the issue is in the dip switch (stalk), not the headlight switch (rotary). You might be able to recover it for a while by using the flash function, but you really need a new switch I'm afraid.