Brake upgrades (BBK & NQSBBK) on Facelift VRS - how did you do it?

I understand that the newer Neptune wheels do not have as much clearance as the Zenith alloys in the older VRS (which were 7.5J and ET51 if I remember correctly. As a result, I understand that even slightly biggers brakes like the so-called Not-Quite-So-Big-Brake-Kit (aka NQSBBK aka the Porsche Boxster 986 Brembo 4-pot calipers) do not fit under Neptunes.

My question is - for those that have modded their brakes what have you done to get around this? Spacers? Find some Zeniths or aftermarket wheels?

Thanks Nobafett and Brimma!

I have the NQSBBK and would like to take it with me from my current pre-FL VRS to a new FL VRS. All still in the planning stage at the moment. I can see what has been done with the R32 setup but the NQSBBK probably won't lend itself to being ground down.

I guess I need to factor wheels in to the budget or, since there will be an overlap between getting the new car and selling the old, swap the Zeniths on to the new car and sell a pre-FL with brand new Neptunes.

I think Im the only person on Briskoda to have the NQSBBK on a Facelift VRS so far, I was fortunate I had a set of Zeniths from my Previous Octavia, which I will prob use until the tires give up the ghost. then I will have to buy some spacers to clear the Calipers with the OEM Neptunes, or go aftermarket.

from look of the eye, it seems like it will take a 10mm spacer to clear the NQSBBK with Neptunes, but dont quote me on that as I havent measured or tested!

• 1 month later...

I thought the Neptunes had the same offset as the Zeniths 7.5J x ET51?

As far as I'm aware they do, but the shape of the rear of the spoke is different, hence the clearance problems.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware they do, but the shape of the rear of the spoke is different, hence the clearance problems.

Makes sense now.

Edited to add: Dosen't the S3 setup fit without modification ? Seem to remember reading that on here....

Edited by Moley RUFC

IIRC, they fit on a worn set of pads, a new set brings the caliper out too much also! I remember a few of the S3 guys had to grin a little off the caliper....

Yeah, the S3 fronts fit behind the zenith but not the neptunes. Carl and many others have simply taken a grinder and shaved a little off to get clearance.

I have found a solution to my problem. I ordered some black Ronal R41 alloy wheels which were 18 x 7.5J and had an offset of ET45. I thought that I would have plenty of clearance but, like the OEM neptunes, the spoke design was a bit thicker than I thought and I only have about 2mm clearance around the NQS BBK when I test fitted a wheel. Perhaps I should have got these in a 8J width as these were ET35 but I thought that might be a touch too much.

The whole wheel choice and understanding offset was quite a learning experience for me. I was aiming for a 5 spoke wheel with ET42 but could not find anything. With the zeniths also being ET51, I figured that ET45 being 6mm out from OEM would be plenty even if the spokes were wider. However, I was lucky! I wish there was another variable in addition to wheel size, width and offset that took spoke design in to account.

Anyway, I went with these as I like the simple 5-spoke design and the practicality of cleaning them and because I think they will look good on a white VRS. That may be just my preference though....

r41tlarge.jpg