How accurate road speed limits Columbus

I was pleased to see when I picked up my Superb to see that the map display showed the local road speed limit. Having now been caught out twice by the figure being false (both instances showing on screen as 40 yet roadside displays indicating I was speeding) believe they can no longer be trusted.

Anyone else noticed this ?

What map version?.

Since the speed limits are stored on the DVD, and even the latest version is based on data more than 12 months old it only takes your local authority to change the limit and thats the figures on the columbus wrong for at least 12 months whilst VAG play catchup.

Same thing is true with Tomtom and Garmin, and their speed limit displays.

To be treated with caution, i've been driving through a 30 zone and the columbus has shown it as a 60 zone. There is no substitute for looking out the window.

And the local councils just LOVE tinkering with speed limits :think:

Just got me curious as to whether the law would be a little more sympathetic if the speed limit has been changed and you were obeying what you thought was the "recognised " speed limit on your Columbus. After all, the speed limit information must have been supplied by someone with the authority to do so. I admit that you would naturally use you eyes to read the roadsigns but at night or on certain rural roads these signs are not always obvious.

Any Octy jam sandwich drivers on the forum care to shed some light?

The speed limits are set nationally and locally by the relevant authorities and are to be obeyed, as shown in both the Highway Code and the relevant legislation, to which there is no "get-out" clause. Many will try to put mitigating circumstances, but speeding is an absolute offence, giving magistrates little, if any, leeway.

Bearing in mind that sat-navs are an aid to a journey and not an instruction, remember that they are totally reliant on the data they're fed with to provide accurate results. Before the advent of these devices, motorists have been totally responsible for their actions, a situation that will never change. It matters not who supplies the information for sat-navs, the responsibility for speed observance, etc., is - and always will be - on the motorist alone.

In one stretch of my journey from Tunbridge Wells to Crowborough, I travel through a section of road on which the speed limits go from 60 to 50, then 40, then 30, then 20 (school zone) then 30. My Columbus picks all of these up accurately. On another section it shows 40 whereas the local speed limit was reduced to 30. I would have no defence claiming that my sat-nav misled me (even as mitigation), because the road signs are clearly sited. At night, the situation is - and always has been - identical, the onus remaining totally on the motorist, whatever the lighting conditions.

Ray

ok my take on the speed sensors

from what i knw the sensors on the side of the road that show what speed your doing are in some cases DELIBERATELY set 1-2 mph lower than the actual speed limit and your speedo is deliberately set to show your faster than you actually are so although your speedo says 70 for example you are actually travelling at around 65-68 mph the indicated speed on the dash is not always acurate so i always drive to indicated speed on the dash except for track days when i let the beast have a bit of fun. So basically drive to indicated speed on your dash and never get a ticket.

Just got me curious as to whether the law would be a little more sympathetic if the speed limit has been changed and you were obeying what you thought was the "recognised " speed limit on your Columbus. After all, the speed limit information must have been supplied by someone with the authority to do so. I admit that you would naturally use you eyes to read the roadsigns but at night or on certain rural roads these signs are not always obvious.

Any Octy jam sandwich drivers on the forum care to shed some light?

I wouldn't expect the fixed cameras to be any more sympathetic - although a real live officer might be (you'd want a policeman to comment to confirm that).

Speeding's a strict liability offence; the fact that you're exceeding the posted limit is enough to prosecute, and you don't need to be knowingly speeding, as long as the signage was up to standard. The theory goes that if you haven't seen the signs, you weren't paying attention to the road around you, and who knows what else you'd have missed? The only exception is when the signage is not up to the required legal standard, where it's up to the prosecution to then show that you should have known that you were speeding - in that one rare case, the fact that you were using the speed limit database in your satnav to assist you in keeping your speed down would help.

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_limit_signs.htm has a reasonable summary of the rules on signage - they also reference the appropriate legislation, so you can head on over to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ and look at what the law actually says if you're interested.

I wouldn't expect the fixed cameras to be any more sympathetic - although a real live officer might be (you'd want a policeman to comment to confirm that).

Speeding's a strict liability offence; the fact that you're exceeding the posted limit is enough to prosecute, and you don't need to be knowingly speeding, as long as the signage was up to standard. The theory goes that if you haven't seen the signs, you weren't paying attention to the road around you, and who knows what else you'd have missed? The only exception is when the signage is not up to the required legal standard, where it's up to the prosecution to then show that you should have known that you were speeding - in that one rare case, the fact that you were using the speed limit database in your satnav to assist you in keeping your speed down would help.

http://www.abd.org.u...limit_signs.htm has a reasonable summary of the rules on signage - they also reference the appropriate legislation, so you can head on over to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ and look at what the law actually says if you're interested.

Good point.

I don't know what condition the signs are down where you are but these days here in rural Perthshire several signs are obscured by bushes trees etc and in town the bulbs are never replaced promptly due to council cutbacks.

Having driven in Poland several times where the only way the locals can avoid a speeding ticket (cash of course) is to use CB radios, The local plod lay out temporary crazy low speed limit signs for no reason and reel you in!!, so we are living in luxury here!!

SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS WITH SPEEDING!! Buy yourself a Road angel!! My pro connected has helped me out big time with all types of camera being static or mobile. It updates everytime I turn it on to where all the dvla has to by law tell you where they will be placing mobile traps. 99% of the time they're not there but its still nice to know. and it's clearly visible at night and more accurate than your speedo as it comes of gps and 3G signals. worth every penny

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rvecsl

SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS WITH SPEEDING!! Buy yourself a Road angel!!

I have one and agree it is very good, but then I have to remove it every time I park, re-fit when in car again, wires draped over the centre console and marks on the windscreen inviting someone to break in and find it.

Roll on fully interactive, dynamic SatNav !

Mines hardwired in to the skyline but can take it out and out it into the octy when required. Simples

Eyes, paying attention, and respect for the law cost nothing

Bargain! :)

• Like 1

I raised this topic as I want to understand/obey speed limits not to drive as fast as I can between speed cameras. I guess I was a little naive in believing this was going to be more useful than it is and wonder why they even bothered to provide it as there is no way it can be used with any degree of certainty for reasons stated by others in ths topic.

I raised this topic as I want to understand/obey speed limits not to drive as fast as I can between speed cameras. I guess I was a little naive in believing this was going to be more useful than it is and wonder why they even bothered to provide it as there is no way it can be used with any degree of certainty for reasons stated by others in ths topic.

I suppose that it fits with the concept of providing information that's part of modern culture, notwithstanding that some of the information is out of date or inaccurate. Why are sat-navs so popular, we've always had maps, haven't we? The maps on sat-navs inevitably fail to keep up with new road construction, yet that's supposed to be one of their plus points over paper mapping. On my other car, I can't even update my maps myself, I have to get it done at servicing intervals.

It seems to me that the basics of motoring knowledge have fallen by the wayside over the years. If everyone knew, for instance, that the national speed limit is 60MPH, only becoming 70MPH on dual carriageways and motorways and that lamp-posts placed 100 metres apart or less signifies a 30MPH limit (unless otherwise shown, including repeater signs on the posts), it might be a good start.

No device fitted can remove the responsibility from the driver to be aware - all the time - of the speed limit they're travelling in. Nowadays, it seems, people seem to believe that driving is a right instead of a licensed skill, granted under certain conditions, all of which include knowledge of the Highway Code. When did anyone last read it? For the majority, it was probably just before they took their test and never since!

I'll get off my high horse now, lecture over! :)

Ray

It seems to me that the basics of motoring knowledge have fallen by the wayside over the years. If everyone knew, for instance, that the national speed limit is 60MPH, only becoming 70MPH on dual carriageways and motorways and that lamp-posts placed 100 metres apart or less signifies a 30MPH limit (unless otherwise shown, including repeater signs on the posts), it might be a good start.

No device fitted can remove the responsibility from the driver to be aware - all the time - of the speed limit they're travelling in. Nowadays, it seems, people seem to believe that driving is a right instead of a licensed skill, granted under certain conditions, all of which include knowledge of the Highway Code. When did anyone last read it? For the majority, it was probably just before they took their test and never since!

I suspect part of the cause of this particular problem is that we've basically given up on low-level enforcement of motoring law - if it's not a strict liability offence caught on camera (such as speeding, or red light jumping), or so obviously dangerous that the police will not struggle to get a conviction, you are very unlikely to even be pulled over for a quiet word, let alone acquire points on your licence or a fine.

There's thus no incentive to keep up to date - the rational thing to do is to remember the few offences for which you will get in trouble (speeding past a camera or mobile unit, red light jumping), and to not drive in an out-and-out dangerous fashion. Beyond that, little mistakes like treating STOP signs as give way signs will be tolerated, in the name of "not persecuting the motorist".

And, as a nasty side effect, because the sillier motoring laws are not thoroughly enforced (e.g. 70 limit on motorways), there's very little political pressure to fix the law. We just ignore it, and rely on limited enforcement to work around the issues. We would be far better off as motorists with strict enforcement but with reguarly updated laws than we are with weak enforcement and laws that are out of date or largely ignored.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How can i update my columbus? I am without speed limit, and also without full postcode. Every time when i am going to original skoda garage, they saying they will put new version in, and after that my maps and the rest is up to date. However it looks that isnt.

Any help ?