mk 7 Golf GTi - 217bhp

Where's this 200Kg loss info come from anyway? A credible source?

On the issue of stock power, the previous generation Astra VXR was a prime example of power not being the answer to everything. Yes it had 237bhp... it was just quite difficult to use it, and it had to be dry and in a straight line!

From VW's point of view, the GTi having that level of power is quite sensible and allows for other offerings to be fitted into the line-up, Mk7 R and also more powerful 'special editions' (like the Mk5 Edition 30 and Mk6 Edition 35). They're not going to come out with the GTi gunning for the top-end of the 'hot hatch' market straight away, as it would leave them with nowhere to go as the Mk7 develops.

• Like 3

Wardy you are spot on.

Any weight loss is welcome, and 60kg is better than nothing. I sincerely doubt they could find 200kg to lose..

TBH for me the factory figures are somewhat irrelevant - the Skoda offerings on this drivetrain will probably be pegged slightly lower for marketing reasons, but will be mechanically the same so easily re-mappable up to or above the vw levels.

On the VXR issue, you'll know exactly what I mean if you've driven one, been a passenger in one, or followed one... :|

I can't believe 200Kg could be saved, without resorting to lightweight materials in quite a few areas.

That puts my mind at rest. Cheers! I already had one car broken into. Think having that happen with the S4 might make me cry.

Yeah lock it up when you get it (somewhere from prying eyes) my mate had his on his drive and they were trying to break into his house whilst he was in! (crowbar in the window frame style), luckily enough neighbours etc. turned lights on for them to run/drive off. He sold it very soon afterwards, they know what they are looking for when they go for those cars. After another high powered vehicle that also brought to much attention he is now selling up to drive a bogo Vectra - what a **** world we live in. (no disrespect to any Vectra owners btw.)

Yeah lock it up when you get it (somewhere from prying eyes) my mate had his on his drive and they were trying to break into his house whilst he was in! (crowbar in the window frame style), luckily enough neighbours etc. turned lights on for them to run/drive off. He sold it very soon afterwards, they know what they are looking for when they go for those cars. After another high powered vehicle that also brought to much attention he is now selling up to drive a bogo Vectra - what a **** world we live in. (no disrespect to any Vectra owners btw.)

I have my cars always in my garage, not much more I can do really. Agree we live in a **** world. I just hope il be ok with it.

To put the weight loss into perspective... Subaru spec c is 70kg lighter than the normal sti - resorting to alloy front end panels and roof (I think roof - not sure).

200kg is a big difference - more than loosing 4x4 to 2wd in component weight

Don't think the old platform was that stodgy to be able to shed loads of weight cheaply

To put the weight loss into perspective... Subaru spec c is 70kg lighter than the normal sti - resorting to alloy front end panels and roof (I think roof - not sure).

200kg is a big difference - more than loosing 4x4 to 2wd in component weight

Don't think the old platform was that stodgy to be able to shed loads of weight cheaply

Compared to its rivals the octy vrs is actually pretty lightweight anyway. must be the cheaper materials :rofl:

You have to be so careful now as they will follow you home, or even worse make note of your registration and use it on a stolen one and do a job!!!!

Are you still making me paranoid about the S4 purchase! If it gets stolen then so be it, as long as the family is ok. I will have insurance so if they steal it then unlucky insurance company.

Can you stop making me paranoid now please