The devil shot his load...

...right into my air intake and egr system...sticky black horrid gloop :o)

This is what you get on a car at 90k without having had the elephant mod

I've spent a day taking the car to bits, ball ache of a job almost wonder why I bothered.

Not actually bolted all back up yet but I have emptied a carb cleaner can and everything is a lot cleaner and less treacle like

I almost wish I'd kept the intake off to use my dremel equivalent to also give it a bit of a polishing around the accessible parts of the ports.

Would this make any real difference or is it unlikely because to make a real flow difference would require the head to also be polished up?

Oh right, but the elephant mod does have an effect on the EGR right ?

Well i've done that recently plus the ecu thing to allow more air in, mod.

According to the fitment guide, it suggested that it does result in the narrowing on intake ?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/100913-diy-guide-the-elephant-hose-ccv-catch-can-mod/

No, two separate areas. Elephant hose diverts the crank case venting from going back through into the air intake (pre turbo) and the EGR gets all claggy due to burnt sooty gases being recirculated back into the inlet manifold. EGR delete is the most effective de-clagging solution.

Not poss on BLT :(

However I've given it a clean to decoke and cleaned my intake as best as possible without soaking and polishing it.

I understand that at least my instake will be a bit cleaner for a bit ? (with the combination of tweaking the elephant mod plus the setting for air flowing through the EGR)

Anything is possible. Simplest thing to do is where the EGR connects on to the exhaust manifold, unbolt it, cut a couple of bits of drinks can into the shape of the port, with the centre hole & 2 bolt holes. Then re-attach. EGR will still operate "normally" but actually nothing will ever come through and it won't know why / be able to tell. ;)

and less treacle like

I almost wish I'd kept the intake off to use my dremel equivalent to also give it a bit of a polishing around the accessible parts of the ports.

Would this make any real difference or is it unlikely because to make a real flow difference would require the head to also be polished up?

polishing is a complete waste of time.. you'll have to take a wild leap of faith here and believe me that the actual suface finish of the ports on an engine (petrol and diesel) has little or no effect on the flow capacity/rate.. It's the shape that is the important factor. in fact having polished intake ports can in fact loose you power on a petrol engine because the fuel forms into little condensation droplets on the port wall which is virtually incombustible due to it being neat fuel with no air mixed with it, obviously it wouldn't happen on a diesel engine but I still stand by what i say.. Polishing makes no difference!

I thought it was the combination of EGR gasses mixing with the oil vapour - so if either of these or both are stopped, then the horrible slimy mix will not be made anymore.

There might be "some" combining but that gunk is 98% burnt exhaust gases/soot, and perhaps 2% crankcase vapour/slime. Crankcase does not chuck out gunk like you perhaps think. If it did, I wouldn't be happy with the elephant hose mod just dumping slime on the road.

Would make zero difference IMO. In theory the shoulder and spigot of the EGR/ASV form obstructions and should be "flowed" from a performance perspective. It might mean less build up in the ASV/EGR area as less stalled/stall air and nooks and crannies for it to settle into. But is unlikely to do much for the inlet manifold.

Anything is possible. Simplest thing to do is where the EGR connects on to the exhaust manifold, unbolt it, cut a couple of bits of drinks can into the shape of the port, with the centre hole & 2 bolt holes. Then re-attach. EGR will still operate "normally" but actually nothing will ever come through and it won't know why / be able to tell. ;)

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this mod - I know I'm not exactly the brightest. . Is the EGR just sucking air and the exhaust not connected? Can you explain more please?

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this mod - I know I'm not exactly the brightest. . Is the EGR just sucking air and the exhaust not connected? Can you explain more please?

He means block it at the exhaust end but leave everything connected. i.e. Cut some thin aluminium to the shape of the gasket but leave the centre whole not holey. :) Then bolt it in place to prevent exhaust flow through the EGR pipework.

• Like 1

Oh well, I did this cleanup as a 90K intake overhaul and it does SEEM to have made some difference (although Im not sure all the effort was worth it)

But the EGR and other bits and manifold are much more gleaming now, not polished but more or less clean (still a wee bit of if you wiped a rag on it, as I wasnt going to get over the top with it, but a little bit of dust/soot is a big difference from the clogged smegma that was in it)

Am I imagining it, but the car seems to be now much smoother and less resistant as it was in places ? Feels more like it was when it was new.

I guess as there was gunk that was effectively restricting the air somewhat then it may well be due.

Big pain in the arse but hopefully it was a worthwhile one but wont be repeating in a hurry !

Does make me think about EGR delete so thanks for the insight on that

Edited by dominorising

Im thinking (as the hestitance fix is a restriction of the gasket from something bigger down to 9mm) that its just an exhaggeration of that ?

You could presumably get an ever smaller gasket than the 9mm (or perform the blockage there) but I'm assuming there also could be the possibility of failing on the MOT emissions perhaps ?