Ibiza Cupra GTi - New ride

Tech1e

My new ride got delivered this afternoon by a very kind PastyBoy. Cliff had bought a Fabia vRS and it was missing cruise control, I needed a car to run about in whilst the Fabia is off the road so a plan was hatched. Now I have worked on these cars and know the pitfalls of owning one, also common faults that they have. Cliff advertised it honestly but even so the advert did sound to good to be true, but I figured with the deal we made it would be worth it. Having now got the car I can honestly say I am astounded, it is probably one of the best Mk2s I've driven (that haven't had a lot of money spent on them). It's drives beautifully aside from first gear can be a bit tricky. But as the clutch is a bit heavy which is quite normal for these I think I'll whip the box out and replace the clutch before it snaps the pedal box and then change the oil, I reckon that should sort it. The bodywork is really tidy for a 99 car, seen a lot lot worse. Arches are clean and rust free which is quite rare on these and only the scuff on the front bumper (as advertised) stops it being as I would describe immaculate. The interior (now I've refitted it) is clean with no rips, tears or even side bolster wear on the front seats which for a 3 door is surprising.

cf4d7f90.jpg

43005735.jpg

c1da787a.jpg

I am very happy with the purchase, pics are of the car as is. If the weather is any better tomorrow I'm sure the clean up will start. I've already got another set of alloys that I will do a home refurb on, not sure on colour yet though ;)

• Like 4

You got an absolute steal Ross!

Almost brings a tear to my eye to see it described as (almost) immaculate.

It served me a million times better than i ever expected it to and I'm sure it'll treat you equally well.

The 1.8T Fabia maybe be a downgrade :D

Look forward to seeing how it develops....you know the 20v turbo from a mark 3 Ibiza will bolt straight in right? ;)

• Like 1

Epic day today, I'm shattered.

A brief rundown of today's work

Removed door rub strips

Removed glue from removed run strips

Snow foam

Rinse

Wash using Dooka wash pad and Zymol, two buckets of course with grit guards

Towel dry

Machine polish using Dodo DA polisher and poor boys polish

Rinse

Wash again

Rinse

Towel dry

Polish using SRP

Wax using Megs Gold Class paste wax

Clean glass using AG Fast glass

Treat black plastics

Finish with Megs Last Touch

0188c6e5.jpg

8c9acfd7.jpg

8afd5ca1.jpg

8a890251.jpg

8ee283b8.jpg

2350fea4.jpg

b51460bc.jpg

140960f5.jpg

Very happy with the result, looks pretty good IMHO. Carry on tomorrow with the DIY wheel refurb on some TSW alloys I got cheap off eBay, supposed to have the week off..lol

• Like 1

ross you are a dirty liar there is no way that is the same car!

who knew washing and polishing improved things so much :)

I think the best is the black plastics though - shows how horribly grey they'd actually gone!

I have the exact same car in red. I love the low down torque and responsiveness of the 8v. I have taken it on a few tracks days although it is fairly standard and not stripped out. Engine is standard but have added K&N filter, 20vt exhaust, better discs, better pads, braided brake hoses, Eibach springs, new dampers, 20vt front ARB and rear ARB. I don't have chance to drive it as much as I'd like but when I do it always puts a smile on my face.

It is well known fact that the 2L's are the quickest cars on the planet be it a Fabia or Seat. I thing the expression is "taken like a king". :D

Nice work Mr Ross!

• Like 1

He he, bumper sticker required I think. Different engines in this one and the Fabia though, just about nothing in common.

I always chuckled at the long old comments on people with 8v engines how they preferred the low down torque over the valvers. Though it is true they require less work to get going on standard engines at no point in the rev range does the 8v produce more torque than a valver, just a myth.

New number plates have arrived, amazing what a difference just a new set makes in freshening the car up. Three out of four wheels are prepped. Struggling removing the centre part of the r system caps out of two, well seized in and now mullered so have to come out although I have a spare set if they do eventually give up then can acid etch and paint them.