Which Octavia would be the most economical?

Hi

I'm looking to get a newer Octavia and I have no idea of which of the following two cars would produce the better mpg figures: a 2007 1.9 TDI DSG, or a 2008 2.0 TDI Manual?

My current car is a 1.9 TDI manual L&K Octavia Estate, which (even with 217K on the clock!) is returning 50 mpg urban, 58 mpg extra-urban, and 52 ish combined.

Both of the cars I'm looking at have 45k on the clock, but never having owned a 1.9 TDI DSG or a 2.0 TDI manual, I really don't have a clue what to expect. I guess I'd like to at least 'break even' with what I have now.

If anyone has experience of the kind of mpg figures I might expect from these two very different cars, I'd really appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Mark

That is a very difficult one to answer, difference in engine size and transmission?

I think your best bet might me to look at http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ , you can look up the mileage figures for specific models.

And my 2 cents? Manual is always better then automatic when your looking for economic driving...

Here's my 1.9PD http://www.spritmoni....html?hcosts=on

(Chipped to 130 hp the 14th of January, 2 new Michelin Energy Savers on the 24th of February)

52.30 average

52.31 summer tyres

52.15 winter tyres

49.20 when trailering

The biggest difference is not the car, but the driver. My collegue has a 2.0 Opel Insignia, I can get the same mileage as in my O2 in his car, while he only gets 30-35. Lower speeds, less motorway!!!, more anticipating driving, and smoothness go a long way.

Edited by Too Tall

That's a good site - thanks.

Your car does pretty much the same as the one I have now, but you're right - I have two different engine sizes and gearboxes to choose from. I've been looking for a 1.9 TDI manual, but I liked the idea of DSG as I do a lot of driving and thought it make life easier (as long as it didn't cost too much!).

I'm running out of time as my faithful 1.9 TDI L&K estate has clocked up 217K and last year needed new calipers, rear shocks, tailgate shocks, and now has the ABS light, ASR light on, and red brake light flashing, which I guess is not going to be a cheap fix. Time to let it go, sadly...

The 2.0 has higher fuel consumption but it is 6 speed so if the vast majority of your mileage is motorway then it is possible to match the 1.9's MPG.

There are plenty of 1.9 vs. 2.0 threads on here so you will benefit from having a quick search using the search function.

As you already know the 1.9 engine is a bit long in the tooth but is well renowned for its fuel efficiency and robustness. The 2.0 is more refined, more powerful and smoother and has proven to be almost as reliable as the trusty 1.9 TDi.

MPG thread should be taken at face value, your driving style, the roads you travel on, the number of passengers you carry, what you store in the boot, whether you live in the hills or on the flat, the differing temperatures in your part of the country, the amount of tyre tread and the brand, the size of the wheels, use of A/C etc. etc. will likely all be different to the next post quoting hugely optimistic figures.

Again, lots of debate on the effects of DSG on MPG but generally a well driven manual is more efficient. In addition to this if you tend to keep your cars to 200K + I'd be putting manual gearboxes only on my shortlist.

If MPG is your no.1 priority and you can't stretch to one of the latest 1.6TDi Greenline Octavia's then keep looking for a manual 1.9.

Edited by silver1011

One thing to remember is that the DSG needs its own service too. According to my local dealer, it adds £140 to the bill. Also consider the road-tax implications. When I looked last year my choice was between an 2.0 L&K DSG and a 1.9 Elegance manual. The L&K's tax was £180, the Elegance £95. coupled with the DSG service and the DSG MPG penalty, I went for the Elegance, purely from the financial view.

• Like 1

Thanks for these last 2 replies.

The points about DSG tax & service are very useful - I hadn't even considered that DSG might have a significant impact on these, so maybe I'm leaning towards the 2.0 TDI.

I really do need to change my car urgently (I dread any noise I hear these days!) - I'm still on the original clutch - and that is NOT going to be a cheap fix.

My driving style is probably best described as 'gentle' - I was once joking dubbed 'the hearse driver' at work! My driving is largely between cities/rural meeting points, and generally tends to be a steady cruising, with a traffic queue at the city end for a mile or so; this tends to mean that I have a fair degree of control over how I choose to burn my fuel. I live in a rural area, with few hills and fairly good main roads not too far away. Maybe the 2.0 TDI is the better option...

According to the brochure (dated 01 Jan 2007), figures are (assuming hatch):

1.9 TDi DSG 117MPH / 12.2secs (0-62mph) 36.7 / 60.1 / 48.7MPG (Urban / Extra urban / Combined) 157g co2

2.0 TDi 129mph / 9.6secs / 40.9 / 60.1 / 51.4MPG 149g co2

As a comparison, figures for 19.TDi manual estate are:

119mph / 11.9secs / 42.8 / 67.3 / 55.4mpg / 138g co2

R

• Like 1