tdi turbo woes :(

I run wvo and my oil needs changing every 3-4k or it starts to gunge up. You can buy a turbo rebuild kit on ebay with all seals and beraings for around 30 quid. A full turbo shaft and housing with bearings etc. are around 150.

Did you check the oil level after the turbo work? Just really strange the oil went bad with your driving style. Is there oil in the elephant pipe?

yeh- i checked oil level after turbo rebuild- all ok.. i think its more to do with my choice in fuels - ive 'occasionally' run on vwo and 'other' fuels- have fitted extra disposable fuel filters to try and keep everything good, so perhaps thats the route cause? certainly something to keep in mind in the future, stupid really- ive been on the ball changing fuel filters every 6k.. completely overlooked the important oil+filter :( - very hard lesson learned :(

yeh- the oil was semi synthetic, i'll look into vw507

its hard to tell with the oil now- after the turbo went, there is oil everywhere! :( but, thinking about it, there did seem to be more oil mist than usual coming from the breather prior to the big bang :(

yeh- ive just bought the complete turbo overhaul kit off ebay- the shaft, impellers and seals came to £130 ish - wish i'd know that years ago- replaced many, many turbos on customers cars in the past..

so looks like the damage is - head gasket kit, bolts, timing belt kit, turbo rebuild kit, decent oil and filter, been advised to do water pump at the same time as belt? also total degrease of sump, oil ways etc.. check oil pump (and degrease if ok) check drive chain and hopefully put it all back together and.. ;)

Semi isn't good, oil from the dealer is around 25ish. Might be best to get long life oil and set your engine to variable servicing using vcds, seeing that you have a poor memory for servicing lol

• Like 1

I use semi and its fine. The only benefit of full synthetic is that it wears out slower but it gets twice as dirty if you leave it in twice as long. I use semi and change more often.