Windows again - sorry

bryanb

Passenger side front window has decided to play up. It will not function at all using the passenger side control or the driver side control.

The passenger side rear window functions normally - that eliminates the fuse as both are on the same one.

The faulty window functions normally using the remote control - that eliminates the motor, limit switches, overload cutout, etc.

In my days as an aircraft tech that would point me to the door wiring or switches themselves, but I can't imagine a failure of two separate switches. So is it likely to be the door wiring? I guess the same wiring is used by the remote.

I don't understand how canbus wiring works, every circuit had it's own wiring in my day.

Any ideas please? It's in for a service next week but any experience of similar behaviour will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking BB

I had something similar with my daughters 1998 VW Polo passenger window which would sometimes work , and then it wouldn,t. Was it the window motor as I had replaced the whole mechanism on the drivers side?Was it bringing out the thermal cut out?Suspected it was the thermal cut out but that seemed OK .Then I was sure it was the switch , but my local stockist couldnt ever remember selling one to any one. So I doubted that it was that.

Then I remembered my old laid up VW Golf of similar vintage , and swoped the window control relay over to the Polo , and hey presto it worked properly.

Dont know if this helps , I know it had me going round in circles for a whole day , when all I had to do was plug a simple relay in.

I always find car electrics very daunting but usually get there in the end!

I had the same fault a couple of weeks ago on mine - I found that opening and closing the windows with the remote cleared it and it hasn't recurred since. I can't explain this.........

• Like 1

I had the same fault a couple of weeks ago on mine - I found that opening and closing the windows with the remote cleared it and it hasn't recurred since. I can't explain this.........

Many thanks! It worked for me too.

Previously I had only partly operated the windows with the remote, so I did it fully down and then up - problem solved.

I won't try to understand why it worked, my brain only works for things that don't contain chips etc.

Many thanks! It worked for me too.

Previously I had only partly operated the windows with the remote, so I did it fully down and then up - problem solved.

I won't try to understand why it worked, my brain only works for things that don't contain chips etc.

I seem to remember someone saying that this resets them

The remote open and close reset trick worked on my rear drivers side window when I first got the car. Might be to do with the anti trap function and the window then needing to be told where the fully open and fully closed positions are (i.e. resetting the computer)