VAT Free Confusion

The VAT free offer and 0 % APR offers have been extened to the end of June but once again, the cars included and excluded are not clear.

Now, as before, when you phone Skoda they have to fumble about to get the info and then still don't sound too sure as they read it out to you.

The worst confusion has come from my local dealer, to the point of weird. When I asked initially a few months back I was told that whether I got the VAT free would depend on the car actually being built and delivered before the offer expiry and they couldn't guarantee it. This was bizarre as you cannot make large purchasing decisions based on a maybe and stand to lose your deposit. But this is what I was told at the time. Much later on I was told it would go on when I got my order in, which is both what I would have expected in the first place and what is fair. But their denial they had ever said different was pure Orwellian. Shortly after, I was almost ready to make a purchasing decision when suddenly I was told it had been decided to remove the VAT-free offer on all diesel Superbs, not just the estates. Yet the offer details on the website seemed to remain unchanged and when phoned, they couldn't confirm a blanket Superb exclusion. That was back a couple of months ago.

Now I see that the Vat free has been extended to the end of June and they are apparently available on the hatch. I was also told on the phone that if I bought elegance I could have 0% APR as well.

I do not want to go back into the dealer to ask, only to experience another bout of Doublethink, until I get my facts straight from other sources. I want to know if I can get VAT free on the hatches and if there are exclusions ( e.g. DSG ). I also want to know if the 0% offer is indeed on the Elegance ( only ).

Another thing that bugs me is when I spoke to the dealer about options they said the VAT free would only be on the standard build and options would be full price, yet reading now on the website the wording implies to me that VAT free applies to both.

It's a ridiculous situation really.

There were other things that at the time made me wobble about putting in an order for a Superb but now I have swung back to wanting one again. Now with the VAT offer extended but also considering the past confusions, I want to get it absolutely straight before I go back to approach the dealer.

What model do I want ? The VAT free thing is enough money to sway me from estate to hatch. I'd probably be most interested in the SE with a few options added, but if say the Elegance is the only one to have VAT free or as I was told 0% APR, then that would be in the running too.

I'm seeking those who really, really knows what applies ( such as dealers ! ) to settle the confusion.

I just took delivery of a Superb 170cr 4x4 diesel hatch on the vat free deal. The only snag I had was that I could not get the estate version (which was not that big an issue) but I specified loads of extras which were also priced at the nett price. initial delivery was quoted on the order form as June 2012 (ordered end of January) which was not a problem and surprisingly enough It got allocated build week 12 and i took delivery a week ago. I also took up the 2years interest free finance which was no problem. Dealer sorted it all out and it was a breeze.

Best sit down with the dealer rather than a computer screen and get him to try and sell you a car.. It is amazing how they can sort it out if there is a sale in the offing,.

Good luck!!

Mog-Puss the deals on the Superb are as follows.

No VAT on Superb Hatch - petrol or diesel

No VAT on Superb Estate - petrol only

0% APR on Elegance spec only - minimum 50% deposit with maximum term 24 months.

Hope this helps.

Mog-Puss,

I respect your loyalty to your local dealer, but it seems to me they might have exhausted your goodwill. Probably time to talk to someone else.

I visited 3 local dealers and spoke to 3 more on the phone. Out of the six - Lee at Preston was in a different league of knowledge, professionalism and helpfulness and this has continued through the ordering process to date. I know many other members have enjoyed the same service levels.

Edited by artichoke273

My local dealer explained it just as Lee has too. I think your dealer has a problem, so best do what was already suggested and try another.

Thanks for these replies chaps.

The initial confusion on their part about eligibility in relation to timing is one thing and weird as it was, is not so relevant now.

I think I am more troubled by the fact that the last thing they said to me was that suddenly the VAT free was removed from diesel hatches as well and how I could have made the huge VAT free saving if I had given them the order when earlier discussing it. They said this yet it seemed to be contrdicted from other sources at the time. I just took it that they simply must have had the most up to date info. From then on it would just be a case of small discounts applied in the usual fashion.

I'd like to know from you, never minding what the current position is, was there ever a period when Skoda removed the VAT free from ALL diesels, as my dealer said ? Was the dealer talking ****** and why on earth they would tell me this other than by having misunderstood it themselves ?

Preston Motor's reply as to the current position is exactly as I had it in my head.

If I want VAT free and a diesel, it has to be hatch.

If I want 0%, that's only on the Elegance. ( though finance isn't nearly so important to me )

I should really go through my local dealer for the purchase. After all I need to go there to have it serviced and repaired.

The VAT off does apply to the options as well. I would recommend the following

1. Go to a different dealer. I also went to Lee at Preston Motors. There is no requirement to buy a car from a dealer to have it serviced by them.

2. Go for the Elegance and take the 0%. Even if you have the money then you can put the extra in an ISA or something and make a couple of hundred quid. The Elegance will cost more but it will be worth more later on and the extra options you get are well worth it.

3. Consider the extended warranty if you won't go over the mileage limits (you probably will) as they are very cheap.

I think I am more troubled by the fact that the last thing they said to me was that suddenly the VAT free was removed from diesel hatches as well and how I could have made the huge VAT free saving if I had given them the order when earlier discussing it. They said this yet it seemed to be contrdicted from other sources at the time. I just took it that they simply must have had the most up to date info. From then on it would just be a case of small discounts applied in the usual fashion.

I'd like to know from you, never minding what the current position is, was there ever a period when Skoda removed the VAT free from ALL diesels, as my dealer said ? Was the dealer talking ****** and why on earth they would tell me this other than by having misunderstood it themselves ?

I hate to say it but to me this sounds like they were trying to sting you for the VAT, lining their pockets on the deal to the tune of an extra £3,500 or so (depending on the model). It really does sound like they were just trying it on.

As others have said, I wouldn't touch them for the order of your new car - they haven't demonstrated sufficient competence in my book to deserve your trust.

As for servicing, that is a different matter - generally a diferent department and different people, so see if the service manager inspires any confidence in you. But for me it would be a difficult decision to deal with them again in any form after the misinformation you have received. I'd just be happier going somewhere else.

Edited by Phil_P

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. To assume they were trying to skim from me is I think very unlikely.

I think it was either;

- Confusion on their part and not for the first time

or

- Playing silly games as I hadn't given them their order straight away earlier.

Initially, I had found them uncommunicative, in not replying to email enquiries. I had to ring the boss to get them to respond. Conversely, once I had sounded like I might buy there was a period when I was getting incessant "courtesy calls" about where I was with it, indicating to me a lind of impatience and presumtousness to the point of being slimey/creepy. When some time later I went back to check out the seating position again, that's when I was told the VAT thing was off all diesels now and I could have saved so much had I given them the order before.

Since then, partly out of concern about saloon seating position and my back I've been wondering about MPV's too. But my back's been okay in my hired saloon and I'm swinging back to buying one again, including the Mondeo and a used Audi A6. But with the prospect of a four and half to five grand saving on the VAT back on the table ( as if it was ever off ! ) and the Superb being good value in any case, I'm very hot again on the Skoda.

Edited by Mog-Puss

It's difficult to know what to think really. It is very odd but I hope it's just a case of confused incompetence.

I don't want to write them off and after all they are the people I'd be going back to repeatedly for servicing.

It's difficult to know what to think really. It is very odd but I hope it's just a case of confused incompetence.

I don't want to write them off and after all they are the people I'd be going back to repeatedly for servicing.

I wouldn't want to buy from a dealer that was either confused or incompetent, let alone both! :lol:

Also, the second point isn't valid from experience as I've rarely had my cars serviced at dealer I bought the car from and on the occasion I have, it's been a dire experience! :-(

I also got 0% VAT and 0% interest on the balance for a Superb Elegance 170 4x4 including 0% VAT on the factory fitted extras. What a fabulous deal and a truly SUPERB car.

Only had it a month and recently did over 1500 miles in France on the Autoroutes and with a full load (and I mean to the gunwhales) with cruise control set between 120 and 130 Kmph (70-75 mph) and got an average of 45mpg. The trip computer indicated 50 mpg so is almost 10% adrift - par for the course for the VAG group.

All my family think the car is fabulous and gobsmacked by the amount of room for everyone and the size of the boot!

I do find the tyres respond very differently to changing road surfaces in terms of cabin noise but generally speaking its very quiet. I bought the 4x4 specifically because I tow a caravan but as yet haven't got it out from its winter coat!!!!!!!

Tow ball was retro-fitted (a Westfalia detachable) and everything still works as it should re-electronic gizmos and hope that will continue to be the case when the caravan is attached.