312mm brakes..... On a vrs mk 1, worth it?

jkevs

Yeah that's him. He does them in plain and other colours.

That green isn't a good match, got him to email me more pictures.

The main advantage is that bigger brakes are less likely to fade when used hard as they dissipate the heat quicker.

My 312mm brakes have tarox b32 6 pot calipers and driven normally offer no advantage over std brakes BUT once warmed up they're in a different league. My pads need to be warmed up to give 100% power due to they're performance nature.

A cheap up grade for brakes is just fit better pads like carbon loraine rc5+ ect.

What wheels you got to fit over them mate?

I've just bought some Cupra 4 pots and somehow I dont think my 16's will fit over them!

iv put some mintex pads on mine and tbh it stops on the dot, but just fancy venturing into the unknown lol they do fade after abit of abuse so then i have to slow down :( umming and arrring about the brakes tbh

Drive about normally with the odd blast I had no issues on my fabia, nor my mates MK2 vRS with 180bhp. However when "pushing on" after a few hard stops the brakes do tend to fade. I went to 312`s and loved them, nice feel & look sweet under 16" wheels. Recently I got some 4 pot`s and while they are good, they dont offer a huge amount of extra stopping power over the 312`s.

The best part I found when I got 312s was the feel more than the ability. Although the original brakes did the job they never filled me with much confidence whereas the 312s just feel so much better and that gives you more confidence to use them.

I've never regretted getting the new brakes, and would definitely recommend them to anyone considering it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

seller on ebay sell recon green ones with new pads and new discs for £265

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-312mm-calipers-discs-and-pads-MK4-GOLF-TT-S3-GREEN-/280897938283?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4166d2636b

worth paying the extra £55 for new and possibly warranty from the ebay seller?

I bought some from GBautomotive, arrived quickly, perfect condition,

Smooth green hammerite x about 12 coats, each baked on in the oven.

I bought Pagid discs and pads for about £80 through ebay mainly due to the

anti rust properties of the pagid discs, a year later still no rust :thumbup:

I doubt the discs and pads that come in the set would be as high quality as the pagid

ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-312mm-calipers-and-carriers-MK4-GOLF-TT-S3-/270995056015?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1890658f

so £155 for the calipers and carriers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-PAGID-VW-Golf-MK4-TT-front-Brake-Discs-and-pads-NEW-/160508563867?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255f0e519b

and make an offer of £85 on these and I bet he takes it ;) plus the 8 quid postage

gives you a total of £248 all in.

And for that you get very good quality discs and pads to make the upgrade

worthwhile. All you have to do is get 'em green.

If performance and aesthetic are both important to you then get them Pagids

on there and see how much better they feel and look. :thumbup:

Just for the anti rust properties (ie painted) it's worth a go.

It's what I'll be fitting to my next car when the time comes (just bigger ;) )

• Like 1

I bought some from GBautomotive, arrived quickly, perfect condition,

Smooth green hammerite x about 12 coats, each baked on in the oven.

I bought Pagid discs and pads for about £80 through ebay mainly due to the

anti rust properties of the pagid discs, a year later still no rust :thumbup:

I doubt the discs and pads that come in the set would be as high quality as the pagid

ones.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1890658f

so £155 for the calipers and carriers.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item255f0e519b

and make an offer of £85 on these and I bet he takes it ;) plus the 8 quid postage

gives you a total of £248 all in.

And for that you get very good quality discs and pads to make the upgrade

worthwhile. All you have to do is get 'em green.

If performance and aesthetic are both important to you then get them Pagids

on there and see how much better they feel and look. :thumbup:

Just for the anti rust properties (ie painted) it's worth a go.

It's what I'll be fitting to my next car when the time comes (just bigger ;) )

TOTAL (inc VAT): £87.75 for the Pagid discs and Pagid pads from ECP using Briskoda voucher, so slightly cheaper plus can collect if you need them asap.

Edited by biggy7
  • Like 1

Got mine from a mates mate for £70 well happy almost new used them for 6 months. Come off a Audi tt.

Edited by danny6189
  • Like 1

Sorry if people see this as a thread hi-jack but when changing the calipers - do people use a brake hose clamp to stop fluid leaks or just very quickly change it over with minimal loss?

I had already bought some for £115 from someone on here but as they haven't been delivered in the last 2 months, i'm guessing they won't show up, so decided to start shopping again.

Need to prioritise though, Eibachs or 312mm brakes?? ;)

• 2 weeks later...