Buried Spitfires !

CFB

I remember going to help my Dad at the aerodrome where he worked one weekend when they had a small open day quite a few years ago, back in the 80s lol. One of the aircraft there was a late Spitfire 379 with a Griffon engine, it was bright red and registered G-FIRE. I will never forget when it left at the end of the day, it took off turned back and did a really low high-speed pass over the airfield and banked over sharply as it passed the control tower, an amazing sight and sound.

Good luck to the folks who aim to get these aircraft back.

G-FIRE was owned by Spencer Flack and it used to be in standard camo. He had a large place in Hertfordshire with hanger and runway and regularly flew it, over our house in Bushey.

He was also responsible for the dogfights over our heads involving a Fokker triplane and Sopwith Camel!

He also owned a Sea Fury, G-BCOW, which I had the privilege of being a passenger in during an air display at Elstree in 1979

Awesome is an understatement!! http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1066525/

It will be a day I will never forget, as it also heralded the death of Robin Winter-Smith, attempting to jump 30 Rolls Royces.

• Like 1

Taken from my garden March 29th 2012, a 2 seater variant used as a trainer by the Irish airforce until 1960, plus 1 photo taken 18 months ago, from the same back garden.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116202472245278764482/SpitfireMarch2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

P.S. Have never uploaded pictures before, hope it works!

Taken from my garden March 29th 2012, a 2 seater variant used as a trainer by the Irish airforce until 1960, plus 1 photo taken 18 months ago, from the same back garden.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116202472245278764482/SpitfireMarch2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

P.S. Have never uploaded pictures before, hope it works!

A vulcan! Hope you've still got windows :giggle:

Heard the amazing Merlin sound, went outside with camera, but the Spitfire came over the house at treetop height, too low and too fast to get a picture. Got the photos a little later. We had the Vulcan over and around for about an hour, it caused gridlock on the local roads, It was associated with Children in Need, people had bought seats with the Blades, the four Extra 300 LPs, to fly with the Vulcan. It came so low at times that you could see the open Bomb doors. We have the Blades practising over us on a daily basis, Spectacular.....

P,S. Have replaced all the windows in the house, they needed doing anyway.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

When this story first emerged I was a little sceptical as to why over 100 planes would just be dumped rather than taking them elsewhere. It now seems that no spitfires have been found and the hunt has ended.

On the common outside of the village I grew up in was a WW2 Canadian army camp and there were stories of buried tanks that they couldn't be bother to take back after the war.

I guess there are many similar stories that some folk want to believe are true.

• 2 years later...

In a similar vein to the buried spitfire saga we now have a train full of gold that was lost in 1945. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33994483

I reckon on a similar outcome to the buried spitfires.

Edited by moley
  • Like 1

I doubt too many military vehicles were just left lying around after the war. Too much good quality metal I would have thought. Or even just to be taken back for parts.

Still the Nazi gold train sounds interesting.

I wonder who it would belong to if it was found?

Edited by Aspman