Gearbox oil

It's joined to the side of the engine closest to the battery and is near the bottom of the engine block.

The only thing you can get wrong really is taking the drain plug out before you take the filler plug out. If you then find the filler plug won't budge you've drained the oil from the box with no way of getting any back in!

You can't overfill it as the filler hole is on the side of the box so it just starts coming back out of the hole when you've got the right amount in there.

• Like 1

Thanks! I might have a look under the car see how obvious it is then decide whether im going to do it or not. I assume its pretty much the same for TDI as VRS?

Sorry to drag this old thread up but im planning to buy this oil pretty soon along with some G12++ coolant.

When I do this is it worth flushing the gearbox? Some people recommend it for engines and I'm probably right in thinking my gearbox is on its original 9 year old oil. My guess is you dont get contaminants in the gearbox like the engine but the gears have to wear somewhere?

• Like 1

So glad I read this.. taking my car for SMF conversion tonight and had got the gbox oil from GSF.. aforementioned carlube stuff. aha

Rang up the local Skoda dealer (don't particularly like them) they wanted £13/L + Vat at 3L = as good as £45 and a 3 day wait!!!

Knowing this was pretty ridiculous and telling them to go forth and multiply as kindly as possibly I rang the local Listers VW.. after the nearest one wouldn't sell me oil at first because my car is a Skoda and they are so different (G60 oil really different across the board with the VAG logos on the bottle yea right..) the other Listers sold me 3L for around £18 all in.. so cheaper than the carlube **** from GSF anyway!!

So.. yeah a quick one, don't assume skoda will be the cheapest.. buy proper and your gbox will last it's best

& To the guy above.. personally I'm not going to flush the box..I'm sure that It wouldn't hurt to, although a gearbox is not going to be dealing with the same sort of intensities and multitudes of chemicals as an engine does hence changing engine oil far more frequently and engine flushing additives being far popular... If my box was shredded and I'd knackered a gear then I'd flush it as there'd probably be all sorts knocking around..

• Like 1

So glad I read this.. taking my car for SMF conversion tonight and had got the gbox oil from GSF.. aforementioned carlube stuff. aha

Rang up the local Skoda dealer (don't particularly like them) they wanted £13/L + Vat at 3L = as good as £45 and a 3 day wait!!!

Knowing this was pretty ridiculous and telling them to go forth and multiply as kindly as possibly I rang the local Listers VW.. after the nearest one wouldn't sell me oil at first because my car is a Skoda and they are so different (G60 oil really different across the board with the VAG logos on the bottle yea right..) the other Listers sold me 3L for around £18 all in.. so cheaper than the carlube **** from GSF anyway!!

So.. yeah a quick one, don't assume skoda will be the cheapest.. buy proper and your gbox will last it's best

& To the guy above.. personally I'm not going to flush the box..I'm sure that It wouldn't hurt to, although a gearbox is not going to be dealing with the same sort of intensities and multitudes of chemicals as an engine does hence changing engine oil far more frequently and engine flushing additives being far popular... If my box was shredded and I'd knackered a gear then I'd flush it as there'd probably be all sorts knocking around..

You don`t need 3L only 2 and you will find you will have a tiny bit left from the 2L, My local Skoda dealer the oill only cost £12.37 and I thought that was good for a dealer

You don`t need 3L only 2 and you will find you will have a tiny bit left from the 2L, My local Skoda dealer the oill only cost £12.37 and I thought that was good for a dealer

Ah no worries.. read on a golf form & VW quoted 2.3 L

For 3,5 years I run on Aral 75W90 full syn.The gearbox is perfect,smooth changes anytime.

Is a great alternative for those wich don't want to travel great distances to purchase OEM oil from dealerships.

Remember, when comparing capacities and gear oil type/cost that there are two types of gear oil.

One for the 5-speed box and one for the six-speed. The £45 price quoted from Skoda would be about right for the six speed box type which is much more expensive. The quantity for the six-speed box is 2.6 litres..

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

Remember, when comparing capacities and gear oil type/cost that there are two types of gear oil.

One for the 5-speed box and one for the six-speed. The £45 price quoted from Skoda would be about right for the six speed box type which is much more expensive. The quantity for the six-speed box is 2.6 litres..

Cheers, Terry

Hi Terry,

Possibly.. Although I did give them the reg, of my car **53 so doubt they assumed was 6 speed.. they did confirm it was G60

Out of interest - the right oil for the 6-speed box is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-AUDI-VW-SEAT-SKODA-VOLVO-MANUAL-GEAR-BOX-TRANSMISSION-GEARBOX-OIL-SAE75-/290627963189?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aac6c935

This was a good deal cheaper than the Skoda dealer though I suspect that if you have a TPS trade deal it can be got cheaper there?

Cheers, Terry

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this can anyone give me the part number for the gearbox oil I need for my 2004 MK1 Diesel Octavia PD130 6 speed? Rang my local dealer and they said I need 2litres and it's about £15 per litre is this about right or shall I ring around? Thanks in advance...

Finaly got round to doing the gearbox oil.Thought I would take a few pics so people can see the drain off point and refill point. A bit of hose pipe and a funnel works a treat. 7920feac.jpg

Nice beer bong! I used something very similar: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/197214-gearbox-output-seal-change-diy/

Works very well!

• Like 1

Sorry to bump this can anyone give me the part number for the gearbox oil I need for my 2004 MK1 Diesel Octavia PD130 6 speed? Rang my local dealer and they said I need 2litres and it's about £15 per litre is this about right or shall I ring around? Thanks in advance...

75W90 is the grade I use any make although some say it must be blessed by VW.