vRS Steam train... Suspect head!

Hello all.

From about febuary my car started to white smoke when you started it up after it had been turned off for 15-30 mins. It went into shark to be checked out and they thought it was turbo, so got a turbo ordered up put it on a picked the car up. Pulled out of shark onto the main road and it poured with blue smoke! I went back and rob wasn't happy for me to take it if it was as bad as I described so I left it again to have the EGR cooler blocked.

Had the call again that it wasn't white or blue smoking now & it was spot on. I had to get the car picked up as I was working, but within 20 mins another problem, coil light flashing then engine man light! So car turned round again back to shark turns it off, starts back up white smoke again!

The coil light and engine man light where a sensor I had replaced a few month ago with has been done on warranty last week but I've still got this smoking problem which is gettin worse. The only thing I can see it now being is cracked head or gasket but the strange thing is, the car still runs fine, no water in the oil or oil in water. It's without a doubt using water because I'm havin to top it up every couple of days.

Has anyone had a head gone on them and what kind of money am I lookin at?

Thanks

I had a a3 2.0 tdi which the head reportedly went porous according to the dealer.

I suspect the head is iron though? So doubt that was the case. Unfortunately only way is to have the head off.

Porous heads were a known problem on some of the early PD140s but I thought the PD170 didn't suffer from this??

Correct the pd 170 did not suffer from this. Only early 140s I think in 2005.

Thanks Marc will have to speak to them if it is head. There isn't much else it could be now if it's had turbo and EGR cooler blank off, only thing left is the head. I dont understand though why a compression test wasn't done while it was in?

Porous head is a known problem on the 2.0 PD engine, not very common but does happen.

I'd quite confident it was fixed by the time the PD170 was out though.

What's the coolant bottle looking like and have you had the injectors replaced under the recall?

Blue smoke, could just be a little bit of oil creeping past the injector seals and would allow oil into the cylinder and give you blue smoke.

If you did, they'll need replacing.

Other thing to check is have you had the fuel filter changed, as if water is in this, then it could get a tiny amount of it or dirty crud pulled through every so often, which would be bad. That's a cheap one and something I'd do first.

Also check the breather on the top of the engine, to make sure that pipe is clear and not causing back pressure in the engine which is pushing oil past.

What's the coolant bottle looking like and have you had the injectors replaced under the recall?

Blue smoke, could just be a little bit of oil creeping past the injector seals and would allow oil into the cylinder and give you blue smoke.

Other thing to check is have you had the fuel filter changed, as if water is in this, then it could get a tiny amount of it or dirty crud pulled through every so often, which would be bad. That's a cheap one and something I'd do first.

Also check the breather on the top of the engine, to make sure that pipe is clear and not causing back pressure in the engine which is pushing oil past.

Wouldn't explain water loss though?

Wouldn't explain water loss though?

It could always be the head or head gasket gone which is causing the water to be drawn into the cylinders when the car cools down after being turned off. That would explain the water loss and the white smoke, which is more than likely steam. Davey, when you take the cap off the expansion bottle do you have a good sniff at the contents? If so does it smell more acrid, like the products of combustion, rather than the sweeter smell you might get from anti-freeze solution? If so that would add weight to the conclusion that the fault goes between water gallery and cylinder.

Ian

Hi ian.

I've not thought of smelling the coolant so I will try it tonight when I get back home.. Was away lastnight parked in a layby on the A6 near Kegworth lol.. I'm hoping it's gasket, the much cheaper one to fix!