502 vs 504

After the yellow warning light for low oil came up on my new octavia and I used up all the oil supplied (thoughtfully?) in the boot I thought it'd be a good time to buy a supply and keep in handy as it seems this is something I might have to do often. So turned to trusty Briskoda an I wish I hadn't! Very confused!

As per owners manual for petrol VRS the type of oil used depends on whether the car is going to be on fixed or variable service. For fixed(like mine- short distance commutes mainly) the recommended specification is VW502 and for variable servicing it's VW504.

So looked for castrol online(as original supply was this) and found 4l of castrol edge professional FST 5w30for £37.58 at halfords. Came home and discovered it was VW504 not 502 which is what I needed so went back and changed to 0W30 which is 502. But the forum suggests 504 is better! Since they are both same price which should I use?

Question for the eagle eyed. If type of oil you use depends on kind of use after you buy the car how does Skoda decide what oil put in it before you buy the car?!? Seems to me it's largely academic and both are probably just as good. But it's my first new car and for sake of few quid ( in this case 0 quid)would hate to cause some damage even if only theoretical.

As always your suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Iv Always used shell 0w30 oil when topping up & when the car has gone in for servicing this is what goes in on the oil change. Works a treat for me, iv got a 56 plate vrs for reference.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

Iv Always used shell 0w30 oil when topping up & when the car has gone in for servicing this is what goes in on the oil change. Works a treat for me, iv got a 56 plate vrs for reference.

Thanks mate

I also use shell helix it's 504/507.

I use the helix 5w30 though as 0w30 doesn't have the vw approval that I can see.

The 504 oil is a better spec oil, most dealers now use 507 oil regardless of service regime. The owners manual says "oil that meets at least" and 504 oil far exceeds 502.

The 504 oil is a better spec oil, most dealers now use 507 oil regardless of service regime. The owners manual says "oil that meets at least" and 504 oil far exceeds 502.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement mannyo. The owners manual clearly divides the oil into 2 types and the fixed servicing comes under 'driving in harsh conditions' for which 502 is recommended and 504 is for standard variable servicing. As 0w30 is superior in winter to 5w30 as its provides better protection at low temperatures when the car hasn't warmed up which happens on short runs (like mine- hence fixed servicing). So how can a oil recommended for harsher conditions be inferior? And 502 was improvement on original 501 spec just as 507 is improvement on original 504 but I don't think they can be compared and we can say that 507 is superior. I will clarify with my dealer at time of servicing though.

Proves the point that issue is far from clear!

Edited by Gtewary

Many forum members run with the 504/507 oil on fixed service intervals, and change it every 10K miles. Most dealers also now only use the longlife oil regardless of service regime in all engines. I have seen a lot of members over the 10 years that I have moderated on here.

Thanks for that Mannyo. I too will stick to that then. Collected wisdom of dedicated users is way better than half baked advice from disinterested salesmen and precisely the reason for joining a forum like this.

Thanks once again and please dont take my ignorance or questions for arrogance! First to admit I know nothing of these issues!

i use quantum platinum 5w40, when i bought my car and got my local dealer to service it and switch it to fixed servicing they put 10w40 semi synthetic in. i now take it to a independant garage and they put the platinum in!

Poor car :)

My dealer (where I've got my brand new FL Octavia 1.9) was trying to sell me Shell 10w40 for top up and 5l for next service - which is far from 504-507, listed in user manual;

He told me its much cheaper then 504-507; Logically olive oil even more cheaper though :hi:

I certainly appriciate such attempt to look after my pocket :happy:

I can imagine what oil sometimes being used when we bring our cars for service - looks like whatever oil from currently opened barrel. So I always bring my own Motul Specific canister for service.

Yes, apparently 502 oils can be used for fixed interval - but 504 oil have higher requirements and in theory better for engine; at least not worse. The only issue with them is price - 504 oils in most cases more expensive then 502 ones. But if you care about your car and planning to use it for next few years - its better to have this kind of impact... IMHO certainly.