Sat nav Disc ?

Can anybody tell me if i should get a copy of the sat nav disc with my new car, Im picking up on Saturday. Superb elegance 2.0 140ps tdi dsg the dealer is telling me its all on the hard drive so no disc ? and if i should what version should i be on. Thanks

Got a disc with previous Superb but not with my new one. not particularly fussed since dealer is very helpful and if I need any extra data I am sure that they will "keep me up to date"

Everything may well be on the Hard Drive, but would you buy a computer with pre-loaded software without the installation disks? I certainly wouldn't, nor should I have to, no matter what the computer is. To not provide an installation disk is penny-pinching beyond the pale.

Ray

The Sat Nav disc is supplied by the factory and would only be the current version. When in the future you want to update the software this can be done via disc or through hard drive.

I believe a reason for pre-installing the maps etc was down to people nicking them prior to arrival at the dealers, we had a good handful come in without discs and then have to order another whilst some unscrupulous person sells them on for a little profit!

The Sat Nav disc is supplied by the factory and would only be the current version. When in the future you want to update the software this can be done via disc or through hard drive.

I believe a reason for pre-installing the maps etc was down to people nicking them prior to arrival at the dealers, we had a good handful come in without discs and then have to order another whilst some unscrupulous person sells them on for a little profit!

Nothing said in your response answers the point - security of the disk is not the customer's problem before he accepts the car, nor is it a reason not to supply one. The unscrupulous behaviour started with some dealers charging extra for the DVD, as many on here will attest.

Ray

There's no reason why you would want or need the DVD after the system is installed. Any firmware upgrades must be done by the dealer and, as was pointed out, a good relationship with your dealer will keep your maps updated when revisions are published.

My dealer recently upgraded my maps, free of charge.

Thanks for your help, I do have a good relationship with the dealer but given the cost you would think one would be included.

This is my second Skoda; I have had my Yeti about 14 months but given the deals available at the moment I have decided to have the Superb. (Have told my wife this will be it for at least 3 years but watch this space) Thanks again.

Thanks for your help, I do have a good relationship with the dealer but given the cost you would think one would be included.

This is my second Skoda; I have had my Yeti about 14 months but given the deals available at the moment I have decided to have the Superb. (Have told my wife this will be it for at least 3 years but watch this space) Thanks again.

Best of luck with the car. I've had in the region of 30 cars in my lifetime and the Superb is head and shoulders above all others.

There's no reason why you would want or need the DVD after the system is installed. Any firmware upgrades must be done by the dealer and, as was pointed out, a good relationship with your dealer will keep your maps updated when revisions are published.

My dealer recently upgraded my maps, free of charge.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with firmware - the DVD is software. Again, you're missing the whole point, perhaps because you don't mind not having something that you've paid for and are entitled to.

I most certainly DO mind, but I'm of a generation and upbringing that has instilled that in me. Given the percentage cost of the car that the DVD represents, the dealer is at fault for not providing the owner with the licensed DVD they have paid for. Anything else is - at best - questionable, at worst - theft. If you don't mind that, fine, who am I to criticise?

If you have a dealer that will update your maps for free, then I would hang onto them at all costs. Most will not do so and many expect you to pay for updated map data DVDs (and the costs are >£100 in most cases). Firmware upgrades are a mystery to most dealers. The variation in the service available is appalling - we should all expect the very best, but very few get it. There is clearly no standardisation within the Skoda UK network, but it seems that it was ever thus.

Ray

• Like 1

This has nothing whatsoever to do with firmware - the DVD is software. Again, you're missing the whole point, perhaps because you don't mind not having something that you've paid for and are entitled to.

I most certainly DO mind, but I'm of a generation and upbringing that has instilled that in me. Given the percentage cost of the car that the DVD represents, the dealer is at fault for not providing the owner with the licensed DVD they have paid for. Anything else is - at best - questionable, at worst - theft. If you don't mind that, fine, who am I to criticise?

If you have a dealer that will update your maps for free, then I would hang onto them at all costs. Most will not do so and many expect you to pay for updated map data DVDs (and the costs are >£100 in most cases). Firmware upgrades are a mystery to most dealers. The variation in the service available is appalling - we should all expect the very best, but very few get it. There is clearly no standardisation within the Skoda UK network, but it seems that it was ever thus.

Ray

I don't understand what your grievance is. (And I know the difference between Firmware and Software)

You've paid for your software and you have your software, it's installed in your car. Even if you have your DVD, what use is it to you? You cannot re-install it (it being already in the car) and you cannot sell it. You have no need or use for the software to be given to you in a second format. Providing you with the DVD does not entitle you to map upgrades, free of charge.

People seem to want something tangible, when it comes to software. You are buying the right to use the package, a licence. The provision, or not, of a DVD, is not the same as you being denied access or use of the software. To allege theft is a serious allegation.

i have purchased two superbs and in both cases i received a mapping dvd with the car,you would think everybody would receive a dvd seems strange to me.without the dvd what happens when the warranty runs out and you have a problem with the unit and need to reload the mapping

bill

I know the difference between Firmware and Software

So why mention firmware at all, then?

You've paid for your software and you have your software, it's installed in your car. Even if you have your DVD, what use is it to you? You cannot re-install it (it being already in the car) and you cannot sell it. You have no need or use for the software to be given to you in a second format. Providing you with the DVD does not entitle you to map upgrades, free of charge.

People seem to want something tangible, when it comes to software. You are buying the right to use the package, a licence. The provision, or not, of a DVD, is not the same as you being denied access or use of the software. To allege theft is a serious allegation.

I am totally aware that the DVD cannot be re-installed (unless the drive fails in some way), that it does not entitle me to map upgrades and that it is licensed (as I said in my former post). I don't need any advice on theft either, having spent 30 years dealing with it. What you may fail to realise is that treating property as if it were your own and then acting dishonestly in the circumstances is theft. If a dealer is supplied with a DVD then chooses to sell it for profit - either to the customer entitled to it, or to any other person - that's theft (as well as probable deception, depending on what's said). If I've got the DVD I'm entitled to, that can't happen, at least with that disk - perhaps that's clearer now?

The circumstances described above apply to anyone, not just dealers, of course. I do not wish to vilify dealers with this example, but I can say categorically that my dealer (Caffyns Skoda, Tunbridge Wells) provided me with the Map Data DVD in its box when I collected the car, as is proper. For there not to be a licensing offence, the manufacturer of the data must have in place a multi-user licence agreement, yet no dealer has raised or mentioned one so far, all they say is that it "cuts costs" or is "not necessary" to provide the DVD. Even if there were a multi-user agreement in existence, users of the licence would need to be provided with a copy of it, together with the software that has been installed. Anyone got such a copy? I won't hold my breath.

Ray

I am totally aware that the DVD cannot be re-installed (unless the drive fails in some way), that it does not entitle me to map upgrades and that it is licensed (as I said in my former post). I don't need any advice on theft either, having spent 30 years dealing with it. What you may fail to realise is that treating property as if it were your own and then acting dishonestly in the circumstances is theft. If a dealer is supplied with a DVD then chooses to sell it for profit - either to the customer entitled to it, or to any other person - that's theft (as well as probable deception, depending on what's said). If I've got the DVD I'm entitled to, that can't happen, at least with that disk - perhaps that's clearer now?

The circumstances described above apply to anyone, not just dealers, of course. I do not wish to vilify dealers with this example, but I can say categorically that my dealer (Caffyns Skoda, Tunbridge Wells) provided me with the Map Data DVD in its box when I collected the car, as is proper. For there not to be a licensing offence, the manufacturer of the data must have in place a multi-user licence agreement, yet no dealer has raised or mentioned one so far, all they say is that it "cuts costs" or is "not necessary" to provide the DVD. Even if there were a multi-user agreement in existence, users of the licence would need to be provided with a copy of it, together with the software that has been installed. Anyone got such a copy? I won't hold my breath.

Ray

Nope but I did say before I collected it a week last Tuesday that I required it and was told that it would be provided. This has reminded me to remind the dealer today.

Read where I referenced it and you may understand the context in which it was raised?

Ray

You seem to be getting yourself tied up in serious knots for nothing, so, you have your beloved DVD. You must be a pleasure for the poor dealer to deal with?

You seem to be getting yourself tied up in serious knots for nothing, so, you have your beloved DVD. You must be a pleasure for the poor dealer to deal with?

Now you're just being personal and unnecessarily rude, which merits no further response after this. I'm not tied up in knots about anything, I don't consider my rights to property I've paid for are nothing, I have only what I (and everyone else) is entitled to and - as a matter of fact - I get on extremely well with all the staff at my dealers.

As said before what happens when your warranty runs out and you have a problem with the hard drive you have no dvd to reload to the hard drive.

would you then still be happy to pay for something you have already paid for ???

bill

As said before what happens when your warranty runs out and you have a problem with the hard drive you have no dvd to reload to the hard drive.

would you then still be happy to pay for something you have already paid for ???

bill

Given the length of the warranty, typically 3 years, what would be the point of putting 3 year old (or more) maps onto a repaired system? I haven't investigated but I would guess part of the repair process would be to re-install maps, regardless of whether the owner had the old DVD or not.

which you would have to pay for.navigation maps hadly ever change maybe the odd road missing thats all. and at least you would have a map to put on better than no map.

All this discussion about if a disc is or not supplied.

Do a VIN check on your vehicle. If the dealer ordered a disc it will say that a disc supplied under 7QA.

I did not order a disc with the vehicle and under 7QA you will see the report on my VIN check.

CD ROM/DVD/SD card WITHOUT CD/DVD for navigation

These are the details for your vehicle as supplied from the Skoda factory.

Do a VIN check on your vehicle. If the dealer ordered a disc it will say that a disc supplied under 7QA.

I did not order a disc with the vehicle and under 7QA you will see the report on my VIN check.

NICE ONE, Presume that ends the debate, phew ................

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0abqb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to but could only find information ref. to contact my local DVLA office or am I not seeing very well as my wife would say when looking for things. :happy:

Spectrum,

I recieved your message thank you. :happy:

Danny.