Door Alignment

Is there any way of adjusting the rear doors on a mk2? I have noticed that my o/s rear door is not 100% flush with the bodywork. (i.e it sits just slightly proud) It looks like it needs "pulling in" slightly. Is this normal?

Dan

Just to add, I have just read a post on a golf gti forum (Mk6) that suggests that you can move the striker inwards slightly. Might try that this weekend.

Yep mine is yellow so it also shows quite clearly in the sunshine. BTW, Its lovely and sunny here currently. However, I am at work and the car is not. If its nice tomorrow then I will do a before and hopefully an after comparison in pictures. :thumbup:

A little tip: Use masking tape around the striker before loosening. If you leave an even 2mm gap all round you will know exactly how much you have moved it until you get it right ;)

Not sure how to add pictures but mines the same, White vrs and it looks like it's sticking out, from a distance it even looks like the door not shut properly, thought I was the only one just unlucky but appears to be others, my only real gripe with the car!

• 1 month later...

Just been out and moved the door striker inwards a small amount (marked it with a pen before I did so just in case I made a hash of it) Here are the results:

IMG_5333-1.jpg

IMG_5333-1.jpg

That took literally 5 minutes. IMO the door could do with going in a bit more but not bad for a first attempt.

• Like 1

correct. I was surprised at the amount it can move left and right. I did the other rear door aswell though that wasnt as bad so required less adjustment.

I got out on sat and sorted mine out too, handy job

like octydan says above the n/s didnt need to go as much as the o/s but all good now :)

John,

It doesnt take much just let them out enough the plate itself can be a bit sticky to start with and takes a wiggle to free it up then just reposition and tighten back up, if you move it too much it will go the other way with the door being in further than the panel and just move it back out

it doesnt take much to get it right 2-3 mm is all

• Like 1

No problem. I forgot to mention, you are supposed to use a triple square M8 bit to undo the bolt but I didnt have one so I used a star drive instead and that worked fine. Just be sure to mark round the striker first (I used a sharpie pen) in case you move it too much.