Vrs tyres

End of April and I should be running winter tyres! Temperature 6 C, roads have millimeters of rain.

Just taken my winters off yesterday, more out of hope than anything else.

I get 35k from a set of 4 on my TDi scout, regardless of what tyres are used ( the beauties of 4 wheel drive).

I understand that new on rear advice also covered possible blow-outs and that it was safer to lose control of the front.

I have to admit though, for me the fact that the front tyres do most of the braking is a winner for best on front.

Really? That's counter intuitive?

If the back blows out then I would have thought the car will keep going in approximately the same direction because it's getting pulled forwards by the fronts, if the front blows out then you've got one tyre pulling and the other not doing a lot so I'd have thought you'd swerve off the road without some pretty fast correction. Equally if you loose a front then you've both lost a lot of braking and the brake balance will be badly off due to each front tyre providing say 40% of braking (so say right front blows out and you hit the brakes then the left side has about 5 times the braking force of the right). Hence hit the brakes and I'd expect it would swerve hard.

Edited by DbD

If the back blows out then I would have thought the car will keep going in approximately the same direction because it's getting pulled forwards by the fronts, if the front blows out then you've got one tyre pulling and the other not doing a lot so I'd have thought you'd swerve off the road without some pretty fast correction. Equally if you loose a front then you've both lost a lot of braking and the brake balance will be badly off due to each front tyre providing say 40% of braking (so say right front blows out and you hit the brakes then the left side has about 5 times the braking force of the right). Hence hit the brakes and I'd expect it would swerve hard.

From kwik fits website-

Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life. The reasons for this are;

• Partly worn tyres are more likely to experience punctures – particularly in wet weather conditions.
  • Front tyre deflation will create an under-steer effect which is easier to control than over-steer (the effect produced by a rear tyre deflation)

In the unlikely event that a tyre deflates suddenly, then it is easier to control the vehicle if this occurs at the front of the vehicle. For improved handling and stability it is now recommended that the ‘best’ tyres should always be fitted at the rear of the vehicle. This is irrespective of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.

Because of this at Kwik Fit we do not recommend tyre rotation and we do recommend fitting your best tyres at the rear of the vehicle. If you are replacing a single tyre then this should be paired with the rear with the tyre having the most tread depth.

personally I think they seem to have a disproportionate fear of oversteer, as far as I'm concerned it no safer than understeer!

for me, best on front

Costco have been fitting new tyres on the rear axle for years - the main reason quoted on their US website

"Install two new tires on the rear axle

If you need to purchase only two new tires, insist that they are installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires grip the road better and when the two new tires are mounted on the rear, they will help reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions. "

From kwik fits website-

Well that does it, if Kwik Fit recommend anything then I for one will definitely be running in the opposite direction.

Is there just the slightest possibility that Kwik Fit do not like people rotating tyres because it deprives them of sales?

Costco have been fitting new tyres on the rear axle for years - the main reason quoted on their US website

"Install two new tires on the rear axle

If you need to purchase only two new tires, insist that they are installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires grip the road better and when the two new tires are mounted on the rear, they will help reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions. "

Many home produced US cars are still RWD so that could be the reason.

Exactly so, the front wheels carry most of the braking and tell the car which direction to go. Ask a motorcyclist or racing cyclist (especially on a banked track), which tyre they would rather puncture, and it will be the rear every time, sure it may snake around, but at least you can get it under control.

Iv never heard anyone put new tires on the rear of a front wheel drive it seems daft,

All the years I worked in the dealers the best tires always goes on the drive axle wheather that's front or rear wd.

Anyone know what tires have the least road noise?

I'm just about so splash out on a pair of new boots - will definitely be going on the front.

Still have the original Conti SC2s on the rear, still going after 33k miles. I replaced the original SC2 on the front with SC3s after 18k, but never really liked the SC3s. Certainly haven't lasted as long as the SC2s.

Might go for the new SC5s or the Michelin PS3s or the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2s. All are within a few quid of each other. Any views on which are best?

As for budget tires . . . if spending a few quid more helps me avoid an accident by several metres shorter braking, well worth it IMHO.

Wow - didn't expect my comment to actually get so many replies - both direct and indirect.

Who needs the collective knowledge of every single tyre manufacturer out there when there is Briskoda to tell them why they are wrong!

Will need my first two new tyres within the next 2-3k miles and I'll be sticking to the collective knowledge of the tyre manufacturers thank you.