1.4 tsi a lemon?

Guest BigJase88

The engine thats replacing the 1.4 TSI, is a 1.4 TSI with cylinder shut off technology. so it will be more complicated not less!

http://www.greencarc...s-20110902.html

Nope, not quite, that engine replaces the current 1.4TSi (Turbo Only). The 1.6T with the new VNT turbo will replace the 1.4TSi(Twin Charge). The extra 200cc and VNT turbo means there's no need for a supercharger for bottom end torque and the unit is capable of 260bhp although the first versions will be 180bhp and 200bhp.

The twin charge was developed to overcome the downside of fitting big turbo's to small capacity engines, ie little bottom end torque. Now VNT's are available for mainstream petrol engines and as turbo technology has advanced there's now no need to twin charge.

Also as the WRC and F1 are going down the 1.6Turbo route that capacity is going to be very marketable.

Cheers

Lee

Nope, not quite, that engine replaces the current 1.4TSi (Turbo Only). The 1.6T with the new VNT turbo will replace the 1.4TSi(Twin Charge). The extra 200cc and VNT turbo means there's no need for a supercharger for bottom end torque and the unit is capable of 260bhp although the first versions will be 180bhp and 200bhp.

The twin charge was developed to overcome the downside of fitting big turbo's to small capacity engines, ie little bottom end torque. Now VNT's are available for mainstream petrol engines and as turbo technology has advanced there's now no need to twin charge.

Also as the WRC and F1 are going down the 1.6Turbo route that capacity is going to be very marketable.

Cheers

Lee

Ah right, thanks for explaining :thumbup:. I wonder when skoda will get hold of this engine?

The 1.6T or the 1.4 tsi fancy thingy?

I'm looking forward to the 1.6T :D

Makes a nice step up from the vRS Estate, unless I buy a Rapid Estate, if they do one...

I hope they do a 1.6t 200bhp fabia rs mk3!!!

Auto Express reported the Kia Pro Ceed was going to run theirs at 240ps stock, but their sister company Hyundai has messed all that up as they don't want the Veloster looking like a Reliant Robin by comparison (seems they failed at that anyway judging by Auto Express's first look last week).

yes not unheard of, but rocker cover gasket leak and injector seals, car was at garage for 2 weeks and it was considered a major engine rebuild to get to the injector leak,

i dont have the paperwork as yet but when i do i'll post a copy of it...

2nd gear synchro alone was £780

I havent paid a penny thus far as warranty has covered it so far

Engine re-build for an injector leak???

"Is the 1.4TSI a lemon?"

You can say the same about all the VAG engines when they first came out.

1.8T. Water pump failures, diverter valves, N75 valves, thermostats, coil packs, MAF sensors

2.0TFSI Diverter valves, coil packs, cam sensors, fuel pumps, low pressure fuel sensors, fuel pump cam followers

2.0TDI DPF issues, turbo issues, injector issues, oil pumps, engine temp sensors, head gaskets

1.4TSI Coil packs, piston rings(high oil usage), injectors, spark plugs.

so to be fair its no worse than the other cars.

• Like 2

2.0TDI DPF issues, turbo issues, injector issues, oil pumps, engine temp sensors, head gaskets

That will be the PD engine that started to be phased out during 2008 but much later on some Skoda's. The all new 2.0TDi CR engine has been proven reliable so far.

Cheers

Lee

the 1.4tsi has been around for years & they still seem to suffer the same issues i think with 180bhp its at breaking point & the dsg is an attempt to protect the engine

quite worrying is vw are now saying we don't know how to fix your engine & have no revised engine for customers cars at this time :notme:

Edited by daydotz

"Is the 1.4TSI a lemon?"

1.8T. Water pump failures, diverter valves, N75 valves, thermostats, coil packs, MAF sensors

2.0TFSI Diverter valves, coil packs, cam sensors, fuel pumps, low pressure fuel sensors, fuel pump cam followers

That's a very fair statement.

Considering this is a 1.4 producing as much power and torque as it does, some of the issues had seem inevitable.

I do understand feelings about oil usage etc, but in all honesty the only real issue I have is a continual EML flashing issue when the car is flogged. If it weren't for that, I'd be saying this engine was incredible.

Even with it's minor issues, it's still great.

Guest BigJase88

Engine re-build for an injector leak???

I dont have the paperwork as yet but when i do i'll post it up!!

Its still a lemon! With 40k its beyond a joke imo

I'm going to play the happy fellow again, as some of you know I will ;)

Bought my vRS new, 27,000 miles now, no issues at all with engine or gearbox, no warrenty work done, and it doesn't use any oil ...

• Like 1

Post that may be of interest to readers of this thread on the 'Check oil level @ 465 miles !' thread.

Kopo posted:

I was told there will be a new technical bulletin coming out within this month.
yesterday.

I've also had little oil usage so far, just over a litre in 10k miles which i don't consider too much for a performance engine, but I await this update with interest. The ECU and DSG updates have definitely improved our car since it's service 500 miles ago. Hopefully there's light at the end of tunnel for those with problems.

I think what most people don’t realise is just how highly stressed this engine is. They think well 180 bhp isn’t that much but it's putting out around 127 bhp/ litre. That’s about the same as a Veyron, about 20 bhp/litre than a Lamborghini Aventador. When you look at it this way, the 2 cars above tend to have very low usage and they can’t be used anywhere near as hard as a car with the tsi in. it surprises me that there are not more faults.

Highly stressed??? Really?

So that means a Subaru Impreza (300 bhp = 150bhp/l) a Lancer Evo FQ 360 (180bhp/l), FQ400 (400bhp = 200bhp/l), a Honda S2000 (250 bhp i think which would be 125bhp/l)or Porsche 911 Turbo S (550bhp = 145bhp/l) must be about ready to blow up by the same definition.

TBH, its NOT really a highly stressed engine, yes its small displacement but that doesnt make it highyl stressed by default.

Highly stressed??? Really?

So that means a Subaru Impreza (300 bhp = 150bhp/l) a Lancer Evo FQ 360 (180bhp/l), FQ400 (400bhp = 200bhp/l), a Honda S2000 (250 bhp i think which would be 125bhp/l)or Porsche 911 Turbo S (550bhp = 145bhp/l) must be about ready to blow up by the same definition.

TBH, its NOT really a highly stressed engine, yes its small displacement but that doesnt make it highyl stressed by default.

Yep, even the new little 1.0 Ford ecoboost is 125bhp/litre. The new 1.6T VAG engine will come in 125bhp/litre and 150bhp/litre formats and the current 2.0TSi is available with 135bhp/litre.

125bhp/litre is pretty common across the new breed of smaller turbo's, the 1.4TSi was developed before the very latest turbo technology so running the big turbo required a supercharger to fill in the bottom end. Newer VNT petrol turbo's will not need that so will do without the extra heat and losses of running a driven compressor.

One problem with the Fabia is cooling, the engine isn't massively stressed by modern standards but as well as the usual tubo heat it also has the heat losses given off by the supercharger and it's all crammed in a small engine bay.

Cheers

Lee

Yep, even the new little 1.0 Ford ecoboost is 125bhp/litre. The new 1.6T VAG engine will come in 125bhp/litre and 150bhp/litre formats and the current 2.0TSi is available with 135bhp/litre.

125bhp/litre is pretty common across the new breed of smaller turbo's, the 1.4TSi was developed before the very latest turbo technology so running the big turbo required a supercharger to fill in the bottom end. Newer VNT petrol turbo's will not need that so will do without the extra heat and losses of running a driven compressor.

One problem with the Fabia is cooling, the engine isn't massively stressed by modern standards but as well as the usual tubo heat it also has the heat losses given off by the supercharger and it's all crammed in a small engine bay.

Cheers

Lee

Ford are also procuding a 1.0 (3 cylinder) twin turbo ecoboost 180bhp

Edited by Kie

Cheers

Lee

And what about the 1.3ltr turbo starlet GT thats about 15 years old?? highley stressed? they've only had 15 year's to research lol and the turbo on the VRS is tiny in comparrison to most turbo's

Edited by Kie

"Is the 1.4TSI a lemon?"

So what's wrong with the 1.9 TDI?

Guest BigJase88

Cam lobe wear on pd150's weak turbos and flywheels

Lol what a crock of crap vag really is

Guest BigJase88

You've still got one :think:

I have 2

Octy vrs

Golf gt tsi

Jap is where its at reliability wise