New Yeti Owner

MikeWales

Hi All,

Even though I've been a member of this forum for over a year, I have only just purchased my Yeti. I must admit that reading the various posts on here and the excellent reviews the car gets in various mags, made me anxious to see what i was missing.

I had a bit of a bad experience when trying to part exchange my then car for a Yeti, so I decided to give it a miss for a while.

So a Mercedes SLK, white with red leather and ALL the toys later, I took delivery of my Yeti last Saturday. Ex demonstrator 2.0 SE 4x4 with DSG in silver with a few toys.

The car is great - 40 mpg at 70? (ish) on the M4 on the way home, 43 mpg on the way to work today, and so comfortable, a joy to drive after the Merc with sports suspension on our poor roads.

With the awful weather yesterday I even went through some quite deep water in one of our country lanes. In the Merc I would have had to turn round and gone another way, or suffered a burbling exhaust and a wet seat!

The only 2 things I will miss about the Merc are, people used to look at it - it was a bit of a head turner and of course I cant get my top off!

But on the good side - I cant wait for the winter! :rofl:

post-69072-0-82353000-1335785438_thumb.jpg

Croeso Mike!

Don't worry about the lack of people looking at you, because they still will, being as the Yeti is still quite rare, and thankfully different!

How's Little England beyond Wales? Many years ago I lived in Haverfordwest and went to Grammer School there.

Your consumption figures sound encouraging - we are trading in our manual for a DSG and I was a bit concerned that the economy would suffer. I was surprised that our local dealer, Fish Bros, were running a diesel DSG Yeti as a demonstrator (or at least, Chris's daily driver) and even more surprised that yours is an ex-demo too - I thought we would have trouble finding one to test drive.

Anyway, enjoy your Yeti - I test drove a C220 "Sport" on our local cart tracks before I bought my XF so I feel your (lower back) pain!

Mark

Croeso Mike!

Don't worry about the lack of people looking at you, because they still will, being as the Yeti is still quite rare, and thankfully different!

How's Little England beyond Wales? Many years ago I lived in Haverfordwest and went to Grammer School there.

Diolch yn fawr guys.

Yes Little England beyond Wales is still going strong. The DSG gearbox is a revelation after a Merc slushmatic. So quick to change gears and it leaps forwards if you are in a mind to. Even being silly with the Sport mode I got 35 mpg round the lanes yesterday.

Welcome to the gang. Ignore me ... everybody else does.

Nah, nah, nah - no paranoia here Doggie-boy.

Nobody ignores you - they just don't see you in the murky recesses of the corner.

And, of course, any 'flashes' and you're straight back into the cobwebs.

There now (pats the dog on the head, patronisingly) is that better?

And while we're at it, there's a chap known as TP who knows more about the Yeti than the Skoda departments that designed, built, cobbled and sold it - so you seek him out for advice on any Yetitopic under the sun as he's a genuine gift to us all.

Then there's another fount of all that is Yetiforum, a certain 9000000000000000 or something digitally related to that who has encyclopaedic knowledge of every post ever posted amongst the postings who can point you in the right direction for any question that has ever been asked before (or even 90000000 times before)! In fact, that massed amassing of facts extends to many other motors too, especially A2s from long, long, long ago.

And finally, there's a cantankerous old pedant from some town near the Welsh hills and Valleys who enjoys an argument, putting folks on the right track, and quoting obscure bits of the legal requirements of anything motorised - and seems to live in a signal box (unless he's GOT his promotion this week???) - but a word of caution....... don't get him started on supermarket fuels, winter tyres, or Yeti bulbs. You can, quite safely though, pick his brain cell on off-roading and four-by-fouring - of the driving variety (so far as I know)!!

Oh - and a Rock Frog who, when not enjoying the tedium of Yetiing around London's nether regions and getting cross with interrupting money-draining offspring, has magically transformed many of his Yetibits, and written it all down for all of us to salivate over.

Thanks all for the wealth of advice and good wishes so far.

It is only the dipping into this forum from time to time, when I was trying to come to terms with country lanes and the ride on my sports suspension Merc SLK that convinced me that a Yeti would be my best bet.

After trying the new Kia Sportage - lovely to look at, not bad to drive, but made my partner feel queasy on windy lanes - there are a few lanes in Pembrokeshire!. A derisory offer for my Merc sealed their fate!. Who do these bloody Kia dealers think they are? I could have coped with the thought of a throwing up partner in the passenger seat if I had got a good deal!

The Nissan Kashcow - nice to drive, but again the cost to change was a silly proposition. How can a 14 month old Merc SLK with all the toys be worth less than a new £22,000 Nissan - barmy!

The Honda CRV, I only had to sit in it and tap the plastic Honda dash to turn me away!

Finally the VW Tignasty - a 1 year old DSG, which stank of cigarette smoke when I got in. Not bad to drive, but I didnt feel part of the car - a bit like trying to pilot a step ladder on wheels down the street (Please remember that I had just stepped out of a low Merc SLK!)

So the Yeti was the obvious choice. I think i got a reasonable deal from Skoda Cardiff - but only they know that.Suffice to say that I think that my Yeti drives better on my daily commute than the Merc. I did 43.3 mpg (on the optimistic Maxidot) this morning, only 30 with a feather foot in the SLK.

This morning down a country lane I had a VW Pisat driving up my bum, so I pressed the throttle ever so gently, the DSG worked its magic and I left him for dust - or would have been dust if it wasn't a wet Welsh country lane. As I swung round the corner with him some distance behind me, I just said 'This car is MAD!

Edited by MikeWales

And finally, there's a cantankerous old pedant from some town near the Welsh hills and Valleys who enjoys an argument, putting folks on the right track, and quoting obscure bits of the legal requirements of anything motorised - and seems to live in a signal box (unless he's GOT his promotion this week???) - but a word of caution....... don't get him started on supermarket fuels, winter tyres, or Yeti bulbs. You can, quite safely though, pick his brain cell on off-roading and four-by-fouring - of the driving variety (so far as I know)!!

Hummm.

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not?

And unfortunately I won't be "the Fat Controller" at Machynlleth Signalling Control Centre as I didn't get the job!!

This morning down a country lane I had a VW Pisat driving up my bum, so I pressed the throttle ever so gently, the DSG worked its magic and I left him for dust - or would have been dust if it wasn't a wet Welsh country lane. As I swung round the corner with him some distance behind me, I just said 'This car is MAD!

I did that at silly o'clock this morning on the way to work, but to a BMW driver.............I'm not sure how he coped with the 6 to 9" of water immediately after, but it took him a long time to reappear!!

Good luck with Black Pigeon in Cardiff, Mike. Have you looked at their reviews in the dealers section on here? Ditto for Green's? George and I would heartily recommend Sinclairs at Swansea.

Hummm.

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not?

And unfortunately I won't be "the Fat Controller" at Machynlleth Signalling Control Centre as I didn't get the job!!

Graham - genuinely sorry you didn't get that job at Mac, Mac, Muckhunkliffe, knowing that it did appeal to you - and of course it was a compliment, albeit backhanded, with a sandwich of chilli paste, while chewing on a spoonful of sand!!

And of course, if I have offended or upset with that attempt at humour, you know that my apologies are real, and fulsome - and will cost me at the very least a couple of pints of the very best while we sing "Four Strong Winds" again in delightful harmony.

George, worry ye not, I know you well enough to know it wasn't meant in anything other than fun.

Yes it was a shame about not getting the job, but it won't be the last vacancy there.

I did that at silly o'clock this morning on the way to work, but to a BMW driver.............I'm not sure how he coped with the 6 to 9" of water immediately after, but it took him a long time to reappear!!

Good luck with Black Pigeon in Cardiff, Mike. Have you looked at their reviews in the dealers section on here? Ditto for Green's? George and I would heartily recommend Sinclairs at Swansea.

Thanks for this. Yes I didnt want to take it to those who must not be named (local dealers to me!!!)

I looked at the reviews for Cardiff, most of which are quite old now and tend to be on the poor side.Interestingly Andy Shorland, who used to be at Swansea Sinclairs is now Sales Manager at the aforementioned Black Pigeon in Cardiff. I thought all the staff at Cardiff were very friendly, and I think I had a reasonable deal on part exchange.

It seems that Andy (who had a few good mentions on the Sinclairs reviews) was headhunted to move to Cardiff. I am not sure whether or not his influence extends to the service dept?

But Swansea would be the nearest for me. Of course Skodas do not go wrong, so i shouldn't need to visit a dealer until servicing sometime in 2013? :think:

Oh - and a Rock Frog who, when not enjoying the tedium of Yetiing around London's nether regions and getting cross with interrupting money-draining offspring, has magically transformed many of his Yetibits, and written it all down for all of us to salivate over.

Was that a reference to me Freshacre?

As to OP, the figure for MPG you quote are about right - click on my fuel consumption logo in my signature and you can see what my fuel economy is like. Yes, I drive too much around London, but recently taken on a new supplier and that means I'm getting out of London more often with the result that my fuel consumption is improving.

Check out my project in the Yeti projects section.

The DSG is brilliant. I would not buy a manual car again. I would like a greenline 11 with DSG though & stop/start, but that is another story. The Yeti is awesome in the snow and offroad.

Work quite busy so not on here very often. In fact, I'd better go or I'll be late for my next appointment.

Thanks rockhopper, I see you are in South Croydon.

I escaped from Croydon 5 years ago after working there for 18 years.

Was the manager at the Fairfield Halls, which despite my best efforts celebrates it's 50th in November.

I bought my previous car, Merc SLK on Purley Way!

Glad I got a Yeti now!

Small world. Yes Fairfield was my gaff! Warlingham, we used 2 go 2 the pub and carvery there.

Pembrokeshire is a bit different, far nicer of course.

But if I was still at Croydon, Allams would be not 2 far down the road for servicing!

Edited by MikeWales

Mike,

You admit to "managing" the Fairfield Halls!!

That is my wife's old "neck-of-the-woods". (Warlingham)

All roads lead to Croydon? SWMBO was hatched in the Mayday Horsepiddle Croydon and worked at Croydon College for many years.

All roads lead to Croydon? SWMBO was hatched in the Mayday Horsepiddle Croydon and worked at Croydon College for many years.

And you found the escape tunnel too! Croydon College eh? Fairfield's neighbours, I think there was a plan in the early 2000s to knock the college down to extend Fairfield and make a 'cultural quarter'.

Then the idea changed to build a new bigger concert hall next to East Croydon station and then the plan changed when that didnt work to build a 30 storey tower on top of Fairfield and sell off the apartments that were created to fund the refurb and enlargement of the complex.

Thankfully none of that came to fruition.

I've been using Black Pigeon in Cardiff and I've found their service staff are brilliant. Sorting out courtesy cars if needed they even did a full valet for me as they forgot to clean the car after a service. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

All roads lead OUT OF Croydon? SWMBO was hatched in the Mayday Horsepiddle Croydon and worked at Croydon College for many years.

Corrected for accuracy. :giggle:

• Like 1

And you found the escape tunnel too!

Well basically I was the escape tunnel. Croydon's not my territory at all, I led her away to my home of Norfolk.