Vrs advice please

Just looking for a bit of advice. Bought a vrs 56 plate on Sunday with 56000 on the clock. Did not see any evidence on service history etc that timing belt had been changed so we negotiated money off if it hadn't been done. Dealer phoned up yesterday to advise that there is no evidence it has been done so they will change it.

Dealer phoned today to advise me that the belt had been changed last year as it had been documented on skodas national database.

Is there such a database? Would it be documented on it that belt has been changed?

How much does it cost for belt to be replaced?

Just a bit concerned as we negotiated money off if garage did not replace belt.

Haven't picked car up yet as they say they're is a couple of small jobs needing done.

Id ask to see the proof then ring the dealer direct & ask them to fax/post confirmation that this has been done,i did this when i bought my mk1 octy vrs as all it had was a service book with stamps & ticks on what had been done,the dealer faxed me its full history of servicing & repairs & warranty work that had been carried out,they cant give you copys of the previous owners bills though.

So the vRS has all of its service history from the garage you are buying it from and they weren't able to tell you if it had the cambelt changed? Sounds a little strange to me. Why would the previous owner have had the belt changed at a different dealer if they used the one you're buying it off for every other service?

I've rung dealers in the past for service history but I've never heard of a central database, just the individual dealers computer system.

I doubt if I rang Skoda UK tomorrow they'd be able to tell me if my cambelt had been changed?

As above I'd need to see proof that it had been done in the form of an invoice. When I bought my vRS it had all of the invoices for work carried out on it with the previous owners name and address on them.

If they are telling you it has been done and that there is an entry on this 'database' to say so then this same database will say at which delaer the cambelt was done. You can then contact the dealer and ask for confirmation it has been done.

I'm the suspicious type, I don't think its been done and the dealer doesn't want take the cost to do it or knock the cost of it off the screen price!

No proof = a new belt or a discount.

So the vRS has all of its service history from the garage you are buying it from and they weren't able to tell you if it had the cambelt changed? Sounds a little strange to me. Why would the previous owner have had the belt changed at a different dealer if they used the one you're buying it off for every other service?

I've rung dealers in the past for service history but I've never heard of a central database, just the individual dealers computer system.

I doubt if I rang Skoda UK tomorrow they'd be able to tell me if my cambelt had been changed?

As above I'd need to see proof that it had been done in the form of an invoice. When I bought my vRS it had all of the invoices for work carried out on it with the previous owners name and address on them.

If they are telling you it has been done and that there is an entry on this 'database' to say so then this same database will say at which delaer the cambelt was done. You can then contact the dealer and ask for confirmation it has been done.

I'm the suspicious type, I don't think its been done and the dealer doesn't want take the cost to do it or knock the cost of it off the screen price!

No proof = a new belt or a discount.

^^^ what he said

Im with the last two posts. A sales man will tell you anything for a sale. Get the proof, go into the dealers and tell them to show you on a computer screen then get a print out.

If there's no receipt it wasn't done.

Tick in the service book means nothing.

Thanks for the replies, we have negotiated money off if they didn't change belt, which they haven't so we will be expecting to pay the lower amount for the car. I agree a tick on the service book means nothing and I could not find a receipt when looking through paperwork.

Reading up on timing belts there is sort of a way to tell of the belt needs/been replaced.

Annoying thing is I agreed to buy car on Sunday however probably wont be able to collect it until Friday as apparently the manager of the garage says the car needs a couple of little things done to it.

There is a central Skoda UK service history database, that or capitol Skoda in Newport are mind readers. I got spoofed over replacement cam belts I'd agree no receipt means not done.