Skoda Auto news on updates for MY13

The Plumber

The Elegance Yeti and any other with the xenon light option has AFS11 as per the brochure and possibly the manual.

I have the brochures from Jan 11, June 11, Nov 11, Jan 12, and Apr 12. None of them contains "AFS" nor "adaptive front lighting". Could you please show me what you are referring to? Or is it, as I said, just a misleading name for headlights with cornering function, a phrase that does appear in the brochures?

Having had more than a passing interest in the Superb, I always thought that it had AFS (as it was explicitly mentioned in the brochure) and the Yeti didn't. I would imagine the references posted by Rockhopper refer to the self-levelling function (which is compulsory for HID lamps) or the cornering function. So I can't understand the reference to AFS for MY13.

Having said all that, I would happily have the Yeti's xenons instead of the optional (Czech-made!!) xenons on my XF - having driven a pre-facelift XF with the standard halogens, I think they must have been supplied by Toc H. Not ideal for a 150mph car.

I'm pretty certain that my xenons behave as described in The Plumbers link above.

I haven't noticed the self levelling of the xenons but I have noticed them moving from side to side. Not only that, but they do not do it together - if you look closely they are not in sync.

I even posted a video of them doing just that.

The Xenons fitted to all Yeti as far as I'm aware are not just standard ones like I had on my previous BMW e39. All they did was go up and down. My Yeti ones go side to side as well. - 'the dance' on switching them on. I'm pretty certain that is what makes them dynamic range.

I personally think they are AFS2.

Please don't burst my bubble :giggle:

I'm pretty certain that my xenons behave as described in The Plumbers link above.

I haven't noticed the self levelling of the xenons but I have noticed them moving from side to side. Not only that, but they do not do it together - if you look closely they are not in sync.

I even posted a video of them doing just that.

The Xenons fitted to all Yeti as far as I'm aware are not just standard ones like I had on my previous BMW e39. All they did was go up and down. My Yeti ones go side to side as well. - 'the dance' on switching them on. I'm pretty certain that is what makes them dynamic range.

I personally think they are AFS2.

Please don't burst my bubble :giggle:

Wow! That looks like quite a useful bit of kit!

Chris

Having said all that, I would happily have the Yeti's xenons instead of the optional (Czech-made!!) xenons on my XF - having driven a pre-facelift XF with the standard halogens, I think they must have been supplied by Toc H. Not ideal for a 150mph car.

The cornering bi-xenons on my £65,000 BMW (well, that's what it cost the first buyer) perform no differently from those on the Yeti. On both cars the dipped beams are extremely good and the lights are perfectly suited to town driving, twisty roads and anywhere where the sightlines are short. But on main beam, with a mile of open road in front of you, both cars have poor lights: poor enough to limit top speed and to make me worry about what dark objects may be lying invisible on the road surface. A good four-headlamp halogen setup is far better. When I take the BMW to Germany later this year, I shall be interested to see whether anyone else with bi-xenons goes fast at night.

To be fair, the XF has separate main-beam units and I don't find range to be a problem. But the "cornering function" just consists of some auxiliary sideways-pointing lamps which only work at low speed, like the fog-lamp function on the Yeti (XFs don't have front fog lamps). These serve to illuminate the area hidden by the screen pillar!

I see it says software updates for GSM II, GSM III, Amundsen + and air conditioning.

I take it these apply, where applicable, to current Yeti's too, mine is week 20 build so 2 weeks before there updates.

The main changes coming in to play are as follows (UK market)

* Variable boot floor handle will look slightly different,

* Boot lock time delay - the boot will not lock automatically if the rest of the car is still locked,

* Columbus will display new logo, map updates can be found through diagnostics and there is a new compass display,

* AFS will not have the lengthened head light beam for motorway driving,

* GSM III and,

* Erebus alloys.

Hello Preston Motors.

I have a Sept 2010 Yeti on a 60 plate, witht he GSM II. What does the GSM III give you over the GSM III and can I have the GSM II on my Elegance upgraded, and if there is a cost involved, what will this be.

In addition, can any upgrade work be done during a full service?? :think:

Ours is due to be built wk21, I guess it will just miss out on the updates?

My build date has hovered between wk23 to wk34. I have just found out that my order has been changed at the factory from a MY12 to a MY13. I guess this also means my build will take place nearer wk34 than wk 23. To be honest, if I hadn't joined the 'special wheels' club and spec'd 16" Moons, I would have preferred to stick with the MY12 with Spitzberg wheels because I think the new Erebus alloys are less attractive.

So I'm quite happy to be getting the MY13. I'd much rather have the GSMIII functionality over the AFS headlight. I also guess the AFS headlight can be enabled through VCDS in the future.

Ours is being built this week, so I expect to get the MY12. I too prefer the Spitzberg, though I might have gone for the Matterhorns if they'd been an option.

Hello Preston Motors.

I have a Sept 2010 Yeti on a 60 plate, witht he GSM II. What does the GSM III give you over the GSM III and can I have the GSM II on my Elegance upgraded, and if there is a cost involved, what will this be.

In addition, can any upgrade work be done during a full service?? :think:

Macdemon.

GSM III in a nutshell is just an upgrade on the GSM II. With this though it will allow phones with newer operating systems to pair up - as some people have found that upgrading to a new phone they cannot pair up to a car running GSM II.

From what I understand this is not a simple upgrade of plug it in but a new 'bluetooth box' (under the seat) and thats not cheap :(

Macdemon.

GSM III in a nutshell is just an upgrade on the GSM II. With this though it will allow phones with newer operating systems to pair up - as some people have found that upgrading to a new phone they cannot pair up to a car running GSM II.

From what I understand this is not a simple upgrade of plug it in but a new 'bluetooth box' (under the seat) and thats not cheap :(

Dear Preston_Motors, do you know if all MY13 Yetis that would have had GSMII bluetooth will automatically be upgraded to GSMIII or is this going to be a cost option in that MY13 will still have GSM II as standard on certain models but will now have the option of upgrading to GSM III at a cost?

Thanks

I believe GSM III only adds rSAP which isn't supported by some phones like the iPhone anyway, so you gain nothing. And it only adds access to the SIM card allowing the car to be the phone, maybe this offers better signal as assume an external aerial? But hardly a wow feature.

Also the GSM II module is listed as having a software update for MY13 implying that GSM III would be an option. And assume software update is for all GSM II modules.

Edited by Mr Zippy

GSM III does add rSAP, and I will be the first to admit that it is not a wow feature. The GSM III, from what I have read is only really being introduced to bring it in line with the Octavia and Superb.

I am not aware of a GSM II update, but I will have a check and post the findings back.

GSM III does add rSAP, and I will be the first to admit that it is not a wow feature. The GSM III, from what I have read is only really being introduced to bring it in line with the Octavia and Superb.

I am not aware of a GSM II update, but I will have a check and post the findings back.

Thanks.

It's in the press release states GSM II, GSM III AND air conditioning software updates.

From reading the press release, this is for the entire Skoda brand not just UK. I cannot see anything relating to updates but these may come in to affect after the model year changes have taken place - only guessing at the moment though, but will keep a look out.

• Like 1

From my update it does not state that it will be a specifiable options but will be introduced in to the new model year, bringing it in line with the Superb and Octavia.

Do you know if these wheels will become standard on the Elegance spec models? I hope not - I'm not massively keen....