Anyone on "Amitriptyline" tablets.......

• 2 weeks later...

We'll have it Moved, don't worry

I do sympathise, as I got my Trolley livence in darkest Africa. Empowered me to drive a motorised engineers trolley over any sort of signalled lines. ( That included CTC LINES/ BLOCK SIGNALLED SECTIONS AND TOKEN SECTIONS. ) Sort of like a small train . Only the train drivers on her are only likely to drive on CTC sections. Never ( or rarely block sections / token sections) . But ,then I also knew how th signalling in this territory worked ,as I was a signal tech.

• 2 months later...

Get Quetiapine from your GP. It's a multipurpose drug which I was put on after some years of insomnia. My wife was already on it. Take at night and you should be in the Land of Nod quite quickly. I was started on 50mg but now use 25. It's not addictive and the body doesn't appear to get used to it, requiring stronger doses. Wake up fine in the morning, no after effects, sleep all night. Worth a try. Works for us.

I was prescribed Amitriptyline tablets a while back when my doctor misdiagnosed me with depression (it was a sore neck that needed physiotherapy...)

When I went home and showed my friend, his face lit up. He was like "Ally, you do realize what you have there?"

I had to be honest, I said no.

He told me their street name is "I'm-on-a-trampoline" and he wanted some.

As you can imagine, he is a bit of a drug user, so I gave him some. He took three at once and got the bus home later that night, I never heard from him for about 2 days after that and he was like "I can't remember getting home." I'm guessing the effects and the name don't exactly match!

Not knowing the effects at the time and taking the prescribed dose, I thought these would help me go to sleep (the pain from my neck kept me up all night) but the effects were strange.

I felt like I was behind my own face, like trapped behind it. I was fully aware of lying in my bed, but at the same time couldn't move. I was confused and sluggish the next morning / afternoon and I never dared driving that whole day. I have safely placed those pills in the bin.

As you can imagine, he is a bit of a drug user, so I gave him some.

I have safely placed those pills in the bin.

Two instances of what I consider incredibly irresponsible behaviour. Supplying a drug user with prescription medication and just chucking the rest in the bin rather than returning to pharmacy for proper disposal (which is actually the safe way)!

• Like 1

I normally have one night a week where I struggle to sleep, I can't switch off etc. I signed into Youtube on my phone, made myself a playlist named "Sleep" and added any relaxing music, tutorials, stuff classed as ASMR to relax me. Some of it is crap but once you find good ones you'll relax enough to sleep

A `degenerative disease of the spine´ causes muscle-spasm when I lay myself on the bed: and that makes it hard to sleep

I was prescribed amitriptyline for that condition a few years ago. It caused me to be irritable, and then to feel aggressive, from a point that appeared to be just behind the eyes, and with a cumulative effect that I thought had rendered me nearly insane by the time I decided to stop taking it. And in the course of that treatment it made only a slight difference to my ability to get sleep. Subsequently I got some diazepam, which came with exaggerated warnings of how addictive it is, but which worked in a far superior way. And though it was supposed to make me too drowsy to drive, I found that in its low dose, it had a mildly alerting effect; and when I ceased taking it, there was no sensation of dependence or addiction. Wouldn't it be the better if, on passing, say, an internet exam, we could each get whatever preparation we fancy, rather than to go, cap-in-hand to a physician, who may well be the maker of whimsical diagnoses or prescriber of poor-man's pills?

Edited by FarFabia

I'm now getting into the area of having problems sleeping.And also having problems with pains in my right leg. Doctor tells me it's due to problems with my hip joint. The suggestion was to take Panadol . Not effective I replied, but Nuerophen is. No good was reply-it affects BP,and I'm diabetic with BP problems. Solution was Co codamol on prescription. AS effective as panadol, xcept when I get back pains, but as I am exempt charges , more welcome. At night, I'd welcome something stronger on an occasional basis ,to let me recharge my sleep batteries after a night where there's no comfortable position. Of course ,I could go and have a new hip, but daytime problems ( apart from car parking problems) don't make the solution desirable at the moment.