A good tablet?

BossFox

Who cares, it's the third release in the series of iPad devices, ergo it's the iPad 3. You can't very well refer to a product as "the New iPad" since at some point, it's not going to be new anymore, I doubt Apple are just going to stop developing them...

I do, it's the "New iPad"

The End

• Like 1

So, what are you going to call it when there's another iPad released? The "Old iPad"? What about the iPad (I won't call it the iPad 1, just so I don't annoy you further ;)) and iPad 2, what do they become? Or is it acceptable to have iPad, iPad 2, Old iPad, and New iPad at that point?

So, what are you going to call it when there's another iPad released? The "Old iPad"? What about the iPad (I won't call it the iPad 1, just so I don't annoy you further ;)) and iPad 2, what do they become? Or is it acceptable to have iPad, iPad 2, Old iPad, and New iPad at that point?

As I pointed out above the iphone after the iphone 4 was called the iphone 4s do you call it the iphone 5? If so what will you do when they actually do call the next one iphone 5? :giggle:

No, I don't care about that. I'm just curious as to what people think will happen when the "New iPad" isn't new anymore, but isn't the first in the series so can't really be called "Old" either. I know the iPhone didn't have sequential numbers (iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) but the terms "new" and "old" lose all meaning if a product is called "New iPad" when it's not the newest. Seems like just another Apple moment of being deliberately stupid/difficult, but I guess that's another of my posts that belongs in the OS flamewar thread ;)

No, I don't care about that. I'm just curious as to what people think will happen when the "New iPad" isn't new anymore, but isn't the first in the series so can't really be called "Old" either. I know the iPhone didn't have sequential numbers (iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) but the terms "new" and "old" lose all meaning if a product is called "New iPad" when it's not the newest. Seems like just another Apple moment of being deliberately stupid/difficult, but I guess that's another of my posts that belongs in the OS flamewar thread ;)

I have an 80gb ipod "classic" a stupid name at the time when it was the latest newer longer lasting thinner ipod but ironically it has not been replaced still and actually is the classic, but as you said I can't see that being the last ever ipad.

In terms of connectivity the iPad is designed to be a wireless device which is 1 reason you don't get all the expansion ports. So to transfer data to/from the iPad Apple set up iCloud. Essentially you put your new content in 1 place and it gets sent to all of the devices you wish, wirelessly. If you would like options to transfer information from cameras and other devices you can buy the camera connection kit or to keep things wireless use an EyeFi memory card. If you want to stream content to your TV or speakers then there are Apple and 3rd party solutions to achieve this either wired or wireless.

Some users think the all wireless route is a good solution whilst others disagree and would like to have physical media to move stuff about on. If you prefer this route then you need a device that gives you options to achieve this.

Once again we are talking about the best solution for an individual and not a one size fits all. A good reason to ask questions and be specific about your requirements before you purchase.

In terms of naming conventions Apple never used numbers for incremental updates of the iMac or MacBook and in most cases the iPod ranges have just been the Nano, Shuffle, Touch and Classic without digit suffixes.

Edited by hertsnminds
  • Like 1

In terms of connectivity the iPad is designed to be a wireless device which is 1 reason you don't get all the expansion ports. So to transfer data to/from the iPad Apple set up iCloud. Essentially you put your new content in 1 place and it gets sent to all of the devices you wish, wirelessly. If you would like options to transfer information from cameras and other devices you can buy the camera connection kit or to keep things wireless use an EyeFi memory card. If you want to stream content to your TV or speakers then there are Apple and 3rd party solutions to achieve this either wired or wireless.

Some users think the all wireless route is a good solution whilst others disagree and would like to have physical media to move stuff about on. If you prefer this route then you need a device that gives you options to achieve this.

Once again we are talking about the best solution for an individual and not a one size fits all. A good reason to ask questions and be specific about your requirements before you purchase.

In terms of naming conventions Apple never used numbers for incremental updates of the iMac or MacBook and in most cases the iPod ranges have just been the Nano, Shuffle, Touch and Classic without digit suffixes.

Great answer Hertsnminds. I am precisely the sort of user who would normally buy a cheap, chinese, knock-off, Android tablet and claim it does almost all the iPad does for a quarter of the price.

Instead, I spent more on an iPad than I spent on my last 2 computers (5 and 7 years old but still going strong) and its the only Apple device I've ever bought and I still think it offers incredible value and versatility to users.

Great answer Hertsnminds. I am precisely the sort of user who would normally buy a cheap, chinese, knock-off, Android tablet and claim it does almost all the iPad does for a quarter of the price.

Instead, I spent more on an iPad than I spent on my last 2 computers (5 and 7 years old but still going strong) and its the only Apple device I've ever bought and I still think it offers incredible value and versatility to users.

No one has mentioned cheap chinese knock off tablets at all let alone android ones there are also cheap chinese knock off ipads btw and these are only made because pepple want to buy them which is their business. None of the pro ipad people have seen fit to tackle the point of expandable memory being in the device not just for the added bonus of being able to transfer media as I have pointed out the end result is they are limited in amount of memory to have the 64gb versions you pay more for the exact same product with additional memory at an extortionat price. If they had memory card slot they would no longer be able to make a fortune off flash memory for which apple is the largest purchaser in the world. The benefits are even greater when you are not required to purchase additional accessories or have a computer to plug it into and thats before the whole itunes thing... If it meets a persons needs spot on but as I said unfortunately its far from meeting mine so I have to settle for a more powerful cheaper device that outperforms it in all aspects of my needs.

Great answer Hertsnminds

Big deal with iCloud...you have the same for all the Android platforms, its called Dropbox. You have a free limit and after that you need to pay if you need more storage space, the same with iCloud. Where the Samsung excels for me is the ability to add storage space, plus the fact that I don't have to be control by iTunes. I could use Kies and transfer all of my music to any Android device without restrictions. I agree with FUBAR above, with Android tablets you don't have to by additional hardware just to be able to connect to anything. You just connect with the cables provided.

"Daiking" made a comment above that he would never buy Chinese knock off....it is kind of ironic considering the fact that iPad is Made in China......:D

• Like 2

Big deal with iCloud...you have the same for all the Android platforms, its called Dropbox. You have a free limit and after that you need to pay if you need more storage space, the same with iCloud. Where the Samsung excels for me is the ability to add storage space, plus the fact that I don't have to be control by iTunes.  I could use Kies and transfer all of my music to any Android device without restrictions. I agree with FUBAR above, with Android tablets you don't have to by additional hardware just to be able to connect to anything. You just connect with the cables provided.

"Daiking" made a comment above that he would never buy Chinese knock off....it is kind of ironic considering the fact that iPad is Made in China...... :D

I didn't and its not ironic so apart from that have a biscuit.

I have the motorola xoom and it is a fantastic device. Now replaced by the xoom 2 which is currently on sale at £279. For a 32 gb machine that's not at all bad.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I have the motorola xoom and it is a fantastic device. Now replaced by the xoom 2 which is currently on sale at £279. For a 32 gb machine that's not at all bad.

Good call I forgot about the xooms their prices have been slashed big time makes it highly good value for money worth getting into PCWorld or somewhere for a good old play on all the different devices and then ignore the advice of sales person and make your own mind up on what you like the most.

A great vid from a ipad fanboy of the xoom2 things have come on a lot since this too

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Notion Ink Adam Tablet. It’s Android and has way more features than almost all of the others mentioned. It’s got HDMI out; you can have a Pixel QI screen (like a kindle screen) and also have 3g.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Notion Ink Adam Tablet. It’s Android and has way more features than almost all of the others mentioned. It’s got HDMI out; you can have a Pixel QI screen (like a kindle screen) and also have 3g.

It was one of the tip top ones when released many moons ago but in the spec wars etc it is trailing way behind now in most aspects a bit of a chunky monkey too. If they are launching a new one it would be a good one to look out for.

Its benchmark score of 1836 is very low in comparison to most of the newer competition out there mine scored 4463 in screenshot earlier in thread.

It was one of the tip top ones when released many moons ago but in the spec wars etc it is trailing way behind now in most aspects a bit of a chunky monkey too. If they are launching a new one it would be a good one to look out for.

Its benchmark score of 1836 is very low in comparison to most of the newer competition out there mine scored 4463 in screenshot earlier in thread.

It's still better spec wise than some of the ones mentioned, i agree it’s a beast though but I think it’s a small compromise.

There is an Adam 2 on the horizon. Plus with a rooted Adam I'm sure the benchmark could be bumped up, I’ve had a benchmark of 3474 on the Desire HD and its single core.

If you just want to surf from the sofa then curry have just listed a 7 inch ice cream sandwich tablet for £99!

And if you fancynsomething a bit more reputable then the samsung 7 mk2 has just been released for £199

Probably because nobody has heard of it!

I've still not seen anything that beats the iPad 3 for user experience or the quality feel you get.