Betty's First Waterless Wash

Big Rich

An hour?!

I can snowfoam, PW rinse, wash, PW rinse and dry including wheels and blacking tyres in 30mins and that includes setting up pressure washer!. I would say it would take me about 5mins longer to do a Yeti, if that due to the fact the wheels are easier to clean.

[snip]

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere, because it took me over an hour to do the Yeti, quite a bit longer than it did doing the Octy estate I had before. Mind you doing the roof took a while as the Yeti is just over 169cm and I'm only just 170cm - think Donkey in Shrek 'Pick me...Pick me" in trying to get to it all :rofl:

It's the first time I've used the two bucket method and first time using a lambswool mitt, though using a power washer (cheapo from Lidl, but does include a foam gun) wastes much less water than I did with a shower gun on the hosepipe.

Personally I'm not too worried about swirls, but I do like to see beading when it rains (not much choice otherwise at present) and I like it shiny in the sunshine, but I can see why others are happy just to drive them.

Beside, I don't think that I'm stepping out on too far on the limb to suggest that many (most?) Yeti drivers are of an age where appearances matter less than they used to :whew::happy:

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere, because it took me over an hour to do the Yeti, quite a bit longer than it did doing the Octy estate I had before. Mind you doing the roof took a while as the Yeti is just over 169cm and I'm only just 170cm - think Donkey in Shrek 'Pick me...Pick me" in trying to get to it all :rofl:

It's the first time I've used the two bucket method and first time using a lambswool mitt, though using a power washer (cheapo from Lidl, but does include a foam gun) wastes much less water than I did with a shower gun on the hosepipe.

Personally I'm not too worried about swirls, but I do like to see beading when it rains (not much choice otherwise at present) and I like it shiny in the sunshine, but I can see why others are happy just to drive them.

Beside, I don't think that I'm stepping out on too far on the limb to suggest that many (most?) Yeti drivers are of an age where appearances matter less than they used to :whew::happy:

Its years of practice! I can do both the Octy and the Bora in 40mins If i am in a rush. If the car is prepped right in the first place it is a lot easier to wash. I use Collinite after i have sealed the paint and this helps the dirt run off more making it easier to wash as snowfoam and pressure washer do most of the hard work. My achilles heel with my car is the wheels as i clean them inside too feeding the sponge round around the brakes which takes a bit of time (I know you are thinking why the hell! But you can see it due to them being 18inch wheels with fairly narrow spokes :blush: )

It is amazing how much less water a pressure washer uses, before i got mine there used to be a stream down the road to the drain, now it barely reaches the road, let alone forms a stream..

I don't actually use the two bucket method (waits to be shot down by the detailing brigade!) as after snowfoam and pressure wash i don't think you really need it.

You can't beat a bit of beading! Getting to see too much of it at the moment now though :(

That comment fits in with a comment earlier about VRs owners.

I've also noted that most of the valetting brigade are urban dwellers, whereas a lot of Yetiists are more rural.

That comment fits in with a comment earlier about VRs owners.

I've also noted that most of the valetting brigade are urban dwellers, whereas a lot of Yetiists are more rural.

What comment about VRS owners?

I think it is JCPs post, but replying to that Is the Yeti not basically a re-badged re-shaped VW Touran (which in turn is adapted from the Golf ... so a shopping trolley too, Horses for courses, since Skoda do not make sports cars, ( just affordable cars for the masses like vw used to do ) and this is Briskoda in other words, started as a forum to mod all shopping trolleys! :happy: The Cooper s , leon and Yeti are still shopping trolleys. Everybody play nice or I will throw my toys out of my modded shopping trolley! :happy:

• Like 1

Interesting thread development. Personally I don't like being classed as a yetiist and therefore assumed not to care about the condition of the paintwork on my car. The thought of the waterless wash system makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. I take mine off road and use it functionally more than most but still ensure the paintwork looks good and is sealed for additional protection when performing off road duties. I washed mine yesterday, 2bm, gold class shampoo and wash mit, megs apc around the door shuts and dried with a micro fibre towel and megs Last Touch. Looks great. Easily done in less than an hour but also probably due to the fact that it's sealed properly and also has a couple of layers of colonite in place already. :-)

• Like 1

Interesting thread development. Personally I don't like being classed as a yetiist and therefore assumed not to care about the condition of the paintwork on my car. The thought of the waterless wash system makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. I take mine off road and use it functionally more than most but still ensure the paintwork looks good and is sealed for additional protection when performing off road duties. I washed mine yesterday, 2bm, gold class shampoo and wash mit, megs apc around the door shuts and dried with a micro fibre towel and megs Last Touch. Looks great. Easily done in less than an hour but also probably due to the fact that it's sealed properly and also has a couple of layers of colonite in place already. :-)

Pretty much what i do! Forgot i used Last Touch as a drying aid....that also speeds things up!

bluevrs,

I'm sure The Plumber will be able to tell you how different the Tiguan and Yeti are, and I think a few might argue about the sports car bit.

FocusZtec,

a Yetiist drives a Yeti, nothing more.

Glad to see this has finally been moved to the correct section!

I think this has turned into an interesting and lively thread. :thumbup:

Think I will humbly add my two-pence worth.

Now I wouldn't class myself as a "detailer" as such. I'm more of an enthusiastic weekend-warrior. I have however been sucked into the murky world of car care and over the past few years have spent more money than I care to admit (to the wife anyway :rofl: ) on car cleaning products. I have come to a few conclusions of my own.

Firstly, no matter how you wash your car some swirl marks are inevitable - all you can do (IMO) is limit them with good technique and quality products. A decent sealant/wax will help protect against further damage.

Secondly I think waterless washes do have their place. When the hosepipe ban was announced in my part of the country I investigated some alternatives. Having got a lot of advice from forums and watching a few videos I settled on "Optimum No Rinse" or ONR. I have found that I can get a decent clean, done safely, by simply taking my time and being careful. I find that it takes me just as long timewise as a normal pre-rinse, 2BM wash but I feel virtuous for not using a lot of water :angel: !

Thirdly, cost doesn't always equate to quality. I have found some truly great products that are very cheap and economical and (IMO) out perform some of their more expensive rivals. A couple of examples for me are the CarLack 68 twins and FK1000p.

In the past week I have seen a new product that actually claims to prevent damage to paintwork by creating a protective shell. For anyone thats interested its called "Wolf Chemicals Hard Body Nano Sealant". There are a few videos of it that look impressive although as of yet i don't know anyone thats tried it.

The last point I would like to make is:

If you are happy with how your car looks then why worry about what anyone-else thinks? My neighbours think I am mad because I spent 2 days last week polishing out defects in my car that they couldn't see. Am I mental :drunk: ? Maybe! But I enjoy doing it and will continue to do so.

Thanks for indulging me by reading this. :happy:

Edited by O.B-B
  • Like 4