Betty's First Waterless Wash

Big Rich

Well time came to give Betty her first proper wash at 5,00miles. Up to this point she had had 2 jet washes only (no brushes just jetted the muck off, so a cloth hadn't touched her paintwork).

I’d always wondered what waterless washes would be like and after some research I decided to give one ago, purely out of curiosity The product I’d chosen was “Spray’n’Shine” http://www.spraynshine.co.uk/ because reviews said it didn’t attack any previous wax etc. So I bought myself a ½ litre bottle from ebay £4.99 + £2.99 postage (the postage was much cheaper than from the other sites). to try it out on Betty. I already had a load of microfiber clothes so I was prepared to go.

This was a real change for me as I’ve always sworn by Autoglym products and was a little scared of doing a dry wash as to inducing scratches on the paintwork.

Well the bottle came. and it was a dry lunchtime and out I went to give Betty a clean. As she’d not been fully washed I knew this would be a good test of the product.

So after an hour, Betty was cleaned and shiny and I’m 98% happy with the results. In the heat it left a few white marks on the black pastic trim.

Pros

• Doing a dry wash there is no “wet” to hide muck and you can see straight away if the panel is clean.
  • Only takes an hour to do a Yeti
  • Leaves a lovely shine and no signs of scratching
  • Panels feel clean
  • Can do the whole car no other products required.
  • Don’t need to get all my cleaning products out, pressure washer, mitts, cleaning products. Just 1 bottle and 3 microfiber cloths.
  • The only water used is to wash the cloths.

Cons

• I found it a little harder than doing a wet wash
  • Expensive!?!?!. I used ¾ of the bottle on one wash (This might have been because I used too much, or Betty was extremely dirty. I’ll see if I can do the whole wish next time with the remaining ¼ bottle)
  • Definitely need to wear gloves. My hands where filthy at the end and I cannot get rid of the smell (yuck)

Would I use it again. YES. Although we are not in a hosepipe ban area, I'd recommend this to other users who are or who don't have access to outside taps etc.

Photos can be found on my flickr page here BTW it had started to rain when I finished hence some spots on the windscreen etc. ->

Edited by Big Rich

Interesting you say that. I'd always done that myself on previous cars. but always ended up with swirl marks after 2 years.

I'm doing this as an experiment to see what happens.

End of the day each to their own!

• 1 month later...

Well Betty has now had 3 waterless washes and I'm pleased to report that there is no signs of any scratching to the paint.

Will admitt that this last wash was a waste of time as the next day she was as muddy as ever to the weather.

But she did gleam for a few hours!

Really impressed with the product and have had a number of comments as to how shiny she looks after a clean.

I've got a couple of photos of the rear before and after

Dirty Bum Clean Bum

Edited by Big Rich

Thats pretty impressive!

Must admit I prefer the 'traditional' approach and have a garage full of product to prove it, but waterless systems certainly seem to have their place. Personally I think I would go down the ONR (Optimum No Rinse) rinsless wash before submitting totally to waterless :blush:

And I am guesing that soon the water companies will be begging us to use hosepipes again with all the rain we've been having :rofl:

Shine a torch on your paint and it will be covered in tiny scratches

Thanks for the review but I would never use a product like this

I guess if you dont give a toss and clean it only every 4 months or so its fine...Its your choice

• Like 2

I guess if you dont give a toss and clean it only every 4 months or so its fine...Its your choice

Why do you have to be so rude about this?

In the past you have taken umbrage about my comments about some people being anal about car cleaning, but why can't you just accept that there are many owners who have their cars to be used, not pampered and titivated?

Because I wish to contribute to this thread and point out to as many people as possible the pros and cons to car cleaning and products that claim to do something positive..when they dont

So sorry LG if you dont agree with me....

Many do!

• Like 4

I havent been rude at all

You dont give toss about car cleaning do you?

Youve made that perfectly clear in this and previous posts

I'm merely stating a fact

You may not have intentionally been rude but I found your posts to have an arrogant and rude tone as well.

It would do your cause a lot more good if you could put your point across in a less aggressive manner.

Ive used this product on my Roomster, wifes Pug and my old Austin. Its brilliant and Ive never used them before. Ive always washed and waxed cars very carefully, and Ive still had light scratches but I dont tend to shine a torch on my paint so hardly notice!

I havent been rude at all

You dont give toss about car cleaning do you?

Youve made that perfectly clear in this and previous posts

I'm merely stating a fact

How about those words as being rude, and antagonostic?

My car is a means to an end.

It gets me to work, and lets me do my hobbies.

018.jpg

Both result in it getting dirty.

That does not bother me.

When it needs to be cleaned it either goes through the local pressure washing bay or through a local car wash. I do not have the inclination to spend hours washing and polishing it. However those that like to spend hours "valetting" their cars fine, let them carry on. I will not be rude or make derogatory comments about them, I just accept that that is their way.

So I suggest Chris that unless you can come up with some actual scientific proof that this product is so harmful, that you accept that some of us aren't as fussy (I won't use my previous term!) as you, and stop trying to push your unproved, and seemingly unwanted views on other people.

• Like 1

Well time came to give Betty her first proper wash at 5,00miles. Up to this point she had had 2 jet washes only (no brushes just jetted the muck off, so a cloth hadn't touched her paintwork).

I’d always wondered what waterless washes would be like and after some research I decided to give one ago, purely out of curiosity The product I’d chosen was “Spray’n’Shine” http://www.spraynshine.co.uk/ because reviews said it didn’t attack any previous wax etc. So I bought myself a ½ litre bottle from ebay £4.99 + £2.99 postage (the postage was much cheaper than from the other sites). to try it out on Betty. I already had a load of microfiber clothes so I was prepared to go.

This was a real change for me as I’ve always sworn by Autoglym products and was a little scared of doing a dry wash as to inducing scratches on the paintwork.

Well the bottle came. and it was a dry lunchtime and out I went to give Betty a clean. As she’d not been fully washed I knew this would be a good test of the product.

So after an hour, Betty was cleaned and shiny and I’m 98% happy with the results. In the heat it left a few white marks on the black pastic trim.

Pros

• Doing a dry wash there is no “wet” to hide muck and you can see straight away if the panel is clean.
  • Only takes an hour to do a Yeti
  • Leaves a lovely shine and no signs of scratching
  • Panels feel clean
  • Can do the whole car no other products required.
  • Don’t need to get all my cleaning products out, pressure washer, mitts, cleaning products. Just 1 bottle and 3 microfiber cloths.
  • The only water used is to wash the cloths.

Cons

• I found it a little harder than doing a wet wash
  • Expensive!?!?!. I used ¾ of the bottle on one wash (This might have been because I used too much, or Betty was extremely dirty. I’ll see if I can do the whole wish next time with the remaining ¼ bottle)
  • Definitely need to wear gloves. My hands where filthy at the end and I cannot get rid of the smell (yuck)

Would I use it again. YES. Although we are not in a hosepipe ban area, I'd recommend this to other users who are or who don't have access to outside taps etc.

Photos can be found on my flickr page here BTW it had started to rain when I finished hence some spots on the windscreen etc. ->

Also, and VERY important!!!!!!!, if you wash the cloths, do them in a SEPARATE wash, otherwise your laundry will stink of it to high Heaven. :sick:

• Like 1

I am quite keen on keeping my cars clean and favour collinite applied to a washed and leathered car -so I do care. Equally I accept that for those who use their yetis to their full intended range of capability such treatment seems a waste of time and effort.

What I don't "give a toss" about is junior warm hatch owners who preen shopping derived cars, I imagine to impress others outside Macdonalds and then dismiss the views of those who don't share theirs.

If I have offended the vrs posse I hope all I have done is to demonstrate that intolerance of the preferences of others is never attractive.

I used to own a BMW cooper s and a Leon with AP brakes Konis and Eibachs so I have been where I expect some of those on this thread are. Choosing a Yeti is part of a move from that world towards one which is different-neither worse nor better but different.

• Like 1

ETTO, but I'll stick with the accepted method of lots of gentle water first to loose and dislodge the gritty stuff, before using a car specific shampoo, more water, rinse aid and clean fluffy towels to dry off. Sometimes I'll use a 'detailing' spray to prolong the finish.

Like JCP, I find a Colinite treatment twice a year keeps the surface smooth and shiny.

Swirls are infinitely easier to create than remove!

We live and learn

However..If you can read this without having a go back at me for being rude and arrogant..It will help:

I really dont care if you dont wish to wash your Yetis properly

I accept also that for some of you its a functional and working car...not a school run shopping trolly, that some are purchased for

BUT

What I do care about..is you berating me or anyone who wants to not only keep their car as clean as possible, but also pass on good practice and suitable techniques and products to other Forum users.

No other section of the Forum critisises Car cleaning like the Yeti Section does..To me..You dont give a toss ...at least some of you dont

Ive been involved in car detailing for many years and will always try to point out what I see as bad practice in the use of cleaning products

Believe me, there are some dreadful products out there that, quite honestly, do more harm than good. Waterless wash products are no exception to this.

Llangraham..Every post I make regarding cleaning in this section is replied by you explaining how dirty your car is. I really dont care,but please dont have a go at me for wanting to give others advice on how to clean it properly, when you clearly dont wish to.

Thats all Im going to say on the matter

Good luck with your Yetis

• Like 1