Front wheel grinding noise

Hello,

Firstly I guess the car details 4x4 1.8T elegance .

This is a problem which raised its head after a steering rack change due to the previous owner running the power steering with red fluid and buggering the rack seals. To remove the steering rack you have to drop the subframe to remove the link into the car, after replacing everything without any problems (so I thought) Since this refit I now have a grind which seems to come from the nearside front when I steer just off from straight as you would if you were rocking the wheel "free play" I believe its the break disc rubbing on the brake calliper as there are signs of a bright line in the brake dust... but there is no free play in the hub. I changed the wheel bearing "just in case" but no still the same noise accompanying a flashing abs light (no fault code being recorded).

Now had a local garage try to find the fault been on the ramp and found nothing wrong "except the disc having a lip no it which was catching something" paid them to remove this lip and hoped all was well... but no still the same! took the car back to them, Again back on the ramp only to be told its "now the gearbox"? as the front nearside wheel "locks up" and the others all spin freely.

I do not believe this one little bit but am totally stuck on what this noise really is? There is nothing with free play in it, and no reason?

I have been through the other threads and this problem seems to be alone..... any and all ideas PLEASE!!!

Hi

Thanks for the reply, but no I have checked that one! and the back plate is well clear of the disc, the noise comes and goes as you move the wheel. When dead straight no noise slight move off centre then noise.............

There could be something stuck between the caliper and the disc? like a small thread of metal? if theres obious wear lines in the brake dust, and its lockiing up, then there has to be something stuck. .

have you tried stripping it down, cleaning everything and reassembling the the brake & hub?

If its not related to the brakes, and uv changed the bearing, check out the CV joint for any wear, excessive play or binding... basically, work your way up the steering/drive system. next stop after that is the diff... or back up into the rack.

Cheers for the idea, I have already re stripped the calliper and hub back down to retrace and all I know is good, I dont see how the rack can make a grinding noise that seems to be at the road speed, and as for the diff it was absolutely fine before the rack change but I will take another play around the diff to see what is "locking up". Really frustrating as the car up to now has been brilliant!!........

Hey Phil

I have rechecked the front hub soooooooooooo many times now I see it in my sleep!!!

The local garage mot'd the car on Wednesday so no free play in the system?......... but they noted the grind on the road test! I really dont think its the gearbox as previously suggested by them but it has to be something I dislodged when I was changing the steering rack hopefully I will be able to find it tomorrow either that or a can of petrol :0)

Guest BigJase88

Its not the wheel bearing wheel bearing is constant drone / grind

Although that doesnt really help you very much

Wheel sensor ring could be fitted slightly off (even 1mm may be enough if the sensor is close) to give the noise, but that does not necessarily mean hub will have movement in it. Have you made sure that the abs sensor on that wheel is clean and clear of any debris?.

have you had a strong torch and had a good look at things in the vacinity of the hub that could rotate and leave contact marks?. Any small stones trapped in the disc venting that are throwing out when it rotates at speed to touch the disc shield?.

You mention a bright line in the dust in the OP, where abouts is this line in the dust?, what part of the brakes/suspension is it visible on?.

Lastly, I presume the pads are fully seated in the caliper pivots, and not generating squeals due to the pads vibrating on the caliper mounts.

Hope it helps

Phil.

Hi,

I had a similar problem but it was more of a clicking noise especially when I turned my wheels. The front lower suspension arm rear support bolt was loose and once it was tightened the noise disappeared.

I'm not sure whether this could be the case for you but you could just get it checked. While I was researching on the internet for the cause of my problem, I also came across a faulty CV joint.

Hope it helps

Hello Again thanks to all for your ideas!!!

I had the whole front end stripped down on both sides today top mountings down and still nothing found to give this noise!!!

The line in the dust i found Phill is on the nearside caliper at the outside edge of the disc as though the wheel is able to run out of true and let the disc scrape onto the inside face of the caliper....

I thought i had found it as the track rod end was bright but no that must of been from when the garage was trying lock the wheel from turning when they were looking for the problem, this is now getting beyond funny!!! There is no freeplay anywhere the car passed its mot so now i have a fully legal car im frightened to use in case the bloody wheel locks up and leaves me stranded somewhere.... BO**OXs is all I can say at the moment....

Are you sure you haven't pinched the brake line to the caliper. That would give the symptoms you see. You would get an ABS warning (but no fault code) as it detected the lock but couldn't unlock it.

• 2 weeks later...

i have checked the flexible really appreciate all the replies on this but so far still the same bloody noise!! and yes I have checked the pipes and they are all correct (good idea though thanks!!)

I have been working on cars for most of my life and have never been this stumped! (ever)

What really puzzles me is that I have this proper grinding noise of which I can not find any visible evidence of!? And why does it grind when there is no freeplay! as the car has a fresh MOT (from a trusted garage) and still this fault.........

ok, this may sound silly, but i take it the disc can sit flush on the hub, no build up of dirt or rust around the centre hole to stop it sitting right?.

Also are there any marks inside the roadwheel?

hi phil

you are on the same wave length as me!!! but unfortunately already been there and cleaned down the hubs and wheel faces! :wall: I am grateful for all of the input from the guys on this site its good to know that im not alone here!

It would seem you are reasonably satisfied that there is not fault in the bearing/hub area, so then as has already been suggested above, I would statrt to check the drive shaft joints themselves.

I suppose it is possible something could have "popped" in the joint when you dismantled the suspension, unfortunately, you have just got to logically backtrack the driveline. are the shaft to driveflange bolts secure?.

Chin up bud - you'll find it soon.

Well it goes to show you never ever stop learning!

Today I learned that bad tracking can cause the brake disc to hit onto the brake caliper!! I have never heard that ever in my 30 plus years of professional and private motor vehicle maintenance.

I took the car up to crap fix to have the tracking done as since the new (secondhand) steering rack was fitted I had not had it done! the guy said he has to adjust it loads to bring it into line.... and now NO NOISE!!!

I guess the lesson is never leave the small jobs out from your inspections.

SO GLAD its done now sell sell the car as we had to move on (to keep she who must be obey'd on the road lol) as this (me) took so long to find :0)