Cage mod - worked for me

Hi,

Just a quick note about the dielectric grease on the maf sensor mod. I'm dubious of snake-oil remedies but the vrs has been very lumpy on small throttle opening making smooth progress in slow traffic very tiring. Even the slightest change in throttle meant jerks. Pulling away smoothly was very difficult and the whole driving experience was getting infuriating.

Read about the cage mod, invested in a 2 quid tube of grease from eBay and applied to relevant area. Well, knock me down, it only made the world of difference. Definitely not on my head as I can now modulate in traffic smoothly and pull away as serenely as you like. I'm amazed - it's like a different car!

Recommended, and thanks to briskoda for this fix.

I planned to do this a long time ago, bought the grease

and spent I don't know how long trying to get the plug apart

to apply the stuff. gave up in the end after cutting my finger quite badly... :(

N00b question. What's the cage mod? Picking up my VRS tomorrow - is it something I should do? :)

Think its named after the guy who came up with the idea>? Can't hurt giving it a try as long as you don't break anything!

I used Vaseline :) made a difference when pulling away quite a bit smoother!

Hmmm....... :x

What's the best way to applicate the grease?

Once plug is separated there are 4 prongs sticking out of the maf, do we just dab all them with a brush full of the grease? Would to much grease cause the 4 pins to electronically touch?

What's the best way to applicate the grease?

Once plug is separated there are 4 prongs sticking out of the maf, do we just dab all them with a brush full of the grease? Would to much grease cause the 4 pins to electronically touch?

Flood it with the stuff. If its dielectric grease then it's not supposed to be conductive.

Pack it in there till it splurges out and wipe up the mess (fnarr fnarr) The idea is that it's

supposed to be an insulator, keeping the prongs from giving each other false readings and

interfering with the operation of the maf. :thumbup:

Did it on my old Leon (PD150) and tbh, noticed no difference at all. But I've still got 4 sachets of grease left so I'm open to giving it another go...I don't see how the prongs can interfere with each other though as they each go into a separate "receptor"? I assumed it just made measuring the fractional voltages from the MAF more reliable. Either way, it didn't do anything on the 150, but I'll try it on this anyway :)

Did it on my old Leon (PD150) and tbh, noticed no difference at all. But I've still got 4 sachets of grease left so I'm open to giving it another go...I don't see how the prongs can interfere with each other though as they each go into a separate "receptor"? I assumed it just made measuring the fractional voltages from the MAF more reliable. Either way, it didn't do anything on the 150, but I'll try it on this anyway :)

Exactly this.

There is no way there could be a bad connection or interference going on. Infact the maf connecter is water tight too, so everything will stay nice and dry as it is.

It's like saying I'm gonna pack my 240volt mains socket for my ps3 and get improved performance.

Maplins used to sell it, I remember having to pack a CPU socket with that and then insulate it with neoprene on an old build that used peltier to cool a CPU.

How much is down to how the change/mod is implemented?

For instance, do you disconnect the battery for any length of time?

Do you break/make the electrical connections on the MAF several times during the process?

Do you have spray grease or the gloopy stuff?

How much of any perceived improvement is down to how the mod is implemented, or a side effect of disconnecting the battery?

ISTR the original reason for doing this is that the VAG MAF connectors do not have gold plated contacts. As such they are prey to dulling and corrosion. Breaking/making the connection several times should clean areas of the contacts allowing better transmission of the small electrical signals from the MAF (ISTR somewhere around 0.8V). The grease is put in to insulate the contacts from future degradation.

IMO this process is worth a shot if you've minor running issues and/or there's indication of MAF failure. It might help and/or save you some money. I guess the same should apply to any other sensors and/or wiring connectors that may be exposed to the elements.

J.