Monte Carlo 1.6 diesel 105 bhp

Yep, as Mike said the TSi will be nothing like your ford Ka, it's turbo charged and has a modern injection system.

To give you some figures the Ford Ka managed 59bhp and 107lbft of torque. But that torque was available peaking at 2500rpm, a thousand rpm below that only 60lbft is available and at higher revs the torque starts to really drop away above 3500rpm.

That's why it feels gutless at low revs and weezy and higher revs.

The modern 1.2 TSi has 105bhp and 129lbft, but that torque is available at any point from 1500rpm to near 4500rpm and will rev cleanly with a sporty rasp past 6000rpm. Because of the wide spread of torque and the ability to rev the gearing is quite low maximising the torque sent to the road wheels.

You can only try them and see how you feel.

No one can tell you how you feel about each model, just drive them to find out. For me driving the 1.6TDi and then the TSi I knew which one I wanted instantly and then the economics worked out that the TSI was easily affordable.

But like you say each persons economic situation and amount of mileage is different. I mostly drive a Passat and that is diesel, I've no doubt the 2.0TSi petrol is a better drive but I couldn't afford to do 20k miles a year in it.

I'm sure you will pick the right car for YOU! Everyone's situation is different otherwise we would all drive the same car. :)

Oh and just remember to double chaeck which version they are giving yo to driving.

In the Monte the 1.6TDi is available with 75ps and 105 ps and the 1.2 Petrol is available as a 69PS 12V 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder TSi with either 86ps or 105ps.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

As our last Fabia was a 1.9tdi and I currently have two.1.2 petrols I have more of an idea of what you should get than most people. Especially as most seem to say the 1.9 was easier to get high mpg than the current 1.6.

Both the tsi and tdi retain similar percentage values after three years and thats mid 40's%. So any diesel premium you pay you will see the same percentage of it back in three years. Dont fool yourself looking at forecourt prices.

The diesel is slightly more to service over three years because it uses expensive oil and more of it and requires fuel filter changes. The petrol spark plug change is 60k miles from memory so wont concern most new buyers.

I didn't say the petrol worked out cheapest, I said Sheppey Girl should work out the total cost for both options. For us the TSI didn't work out that much more expensive over three years and we considered it worth it for the better handling and driving experience. A few hundred pounds extra over three years is peanuts over the total cost a brand new car over three years. If money is all important then far better to buy a year old example that has lost the major chunk of depreciation.

And that's after owning 5 VAG diesels and 3 Skoda diesels before the TSI purchase.

Cheers

Lee

It uses the same oil and if anything the TSI uses more oil between services. So the petrol does not have a fuel filter then? The diesel fuel filter does not need doing til about 60k anyway and its only cheap (around £30 if memory serves me right)

After bluecar1 costing everything up in a spreadsheet for me and the diesel is more cost effective as the petrol is only better cost wise in fuel if I do under 7500 miles a year so just hoping I like the drive then time to order on Saturday. Cost effectiveness comes from the servicing offer with my finance, mpg figures, lack of road tax etc :)

After bluecar1 costing everything up in a spreadsheet for me and the diesel is more cost effective as the petrol is only better cost wise in fuel if I do under 7500 miles a year so just hoping I like the drive then time to order on Saturday. Cost effectiveness comes from the servicing offer with my finance, mpg figures, lack of road tax etc :)

Just make sure you get the DtD price or at least very close. Remember DtD prices is the price that you can get this car for from a dealer...DtD are just the middle men.

Also don't get suckered into dealer 'extras' such as:

Lifeshine

GAP

Fixed Price servicing

Anything else they can think of!

Lifeshine is basically a sealent like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and the lifeshine kits can be bought very cheaply off the internet. GAP cover is good but can be had for half the price off the internet. Fixed Price servicing is only good if your car doesn't have variable servicing as at 7.5k a year (if they have variable servicing on the 1.6CR?) it will only need a service every 2 years (circa £130).

Servicing is free so that's not an issue also the gap I have sorted as found somewhere good to get it, the other offers I'm not so fussed about so yeah the bloke knows what I want etc

Sheppygirl, the 1.6cr gives a slightly better ride due to having some small amount of extra weight at the front. She rides the bumps better, and doesn't feel like a small car ride at all. The petrol TSI is good too, but it is a little bit more joggly over bumpy roads I noticed, although as logiclee says, the TSI can have a small edge in the performance handling stakes at the upper end of the envelope if you are pressing on a bit into high speed bends. But most people won't notice it unless you like driving very fast round bends, and the diesel has just as good handling and roadholding in my opinion.

. Slightly less nimble on the steering, but still good fun :)

That's the biggest difference in handling between the two, turn in bite and willingness to change direction, the diesel has 90kg extra under the bonnet, about the same weight as a biggish fat bloke. :) It's quite dramitic when you drive them back to back.

Cheers

Lee

That's very similar figures to what we arrived at, around 7000-8000 mile change over point. We costed it out that a 10k miles a year the little extra we had to pay was worth it for the TSi's driving experience.

As it turned out due to a change of circumstances the tsi is now only doing 5k miles and that's because we bought another Fabia as well. :D

Sounds like you are looking into all the options and deals which is great. Just remember to haggle like mad on the day.

Cheers

Lee

I plan on haggling :) and yeah id love the tsi for te speed but practicality te tdi wins though I will be driving both so if by some chance i do prefer the petrol I can though I think money wise the diesel wins I feel old for 19 where money is main priority lol

she will be doing closer to 15k, so well past the cross over point for cost effectiveness of the diesel, i will be there to ensure the salesman does not try flog her anything she does not need,

she will be test driving both engines, and probably the citigo and i will be hoping to testdrive a greenline estate as well as the monte carlo

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 2

she will be doing closer to 15k, so well past the cross over point for cost effectiveness of the diesel, i will be there to ensure the salesman does not try flog her anything she does not need,

she will be test driving both engines, and probably the citigo and i will be hoping to testdrive a greenline estate as well as the monte carlo

15k and the diesel wins........

You've taught her well mate. ;)

• Like 1

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'm interested in replacing current car with a diesel monte and i have a query.

What is the physical differences between the 75/90/105 1.6 cr engines? Does anyone know?

Is it just tune? They are obviously the same lump but do components like turbo/flywheel/clutch differ?

Bet your average Skoda dealership salesman would be clueless.....

Dare you, Sheppeygirl, to ask while your in test driving.

the PD 130 engine in the old VRS was technically the same as the PD 105 / 90 but had a variable geometry turbo and bigger injectors as well as a different fueling map, uses all the same other bits, as the air filter etc was exactly the same as my old roomster PD 105

someone like techie1 would be able to give you and accurate answer

• Like 1

Sheppygirl, Spinna, just a quick heads up (that you prolly don't need, but anyway). Last year the cheapest Fabia at factory book price you could buy new from Skoda was the 1.6cr diesel. This was the 75ps version and it was fairly basic, but it was less to buy than the 70ps petrol fabia of similar spec by around £250 or more. I don't know if that's still the case. But even now the diesel engined versions of all engine powers are not much more expensive depending what model you eventually settle on. Indeed last year, the 105ps Fabia estate, although actually more expensive than it's petrol counterpart, the TSI, was able to be purchased at several places at notably cheaper prices than the TSI. I know because I was looking to upgrade my 1422cc diesel, but I'm holding fire for the time being I decided. So it's worth casting a wide net when you are looking. This gives you a lot of extra buying leverage when you go to a dealer and in my view makes a nonesense of the old 'not doing enough miles to buy a diesel' arguement. Although there are some other factors of course that you may want to consider concerning what type of motoring you will overwhelmingly be doing. Exciting times eh...and good luck!

Cheapest Fabia at the moment is the 1.2 12v 69ps SE. 25% off deal so only £8950 on the road.

Last year you could be waiting 6 months for a TSI and a year if you had DSG on it and second hand examples were rare.

Waiting times are down now and second hand TSi's are on the forecourt so there's no premium, you should be able to get similar discount across the Monte range.

Personally I would not go any less than 105bhp in the Monte, it's too sporty a model to be saddled with any less.

Cheers

Lee

13600 inc gap ESP plus and cruise control :) and red :) the only colour I think the yellow was nice but a bit too much for me

Nice!

Black interior?

I love black montes with red interior and red ones with black. But that's just me.

And the car is ordered :D 1.6tdi 105ps estimated 12 weeks max 15 at worst so hopefully they're right :)

Ironically, probably better for around 14 weeks to get it on the 62 plate!