Parking sensor warning signal on continuously when put into reverse

I have a skoda fabia estate 1.9 diesel (Sept 2005) with factory fitted parking sensors. 2 days ago when I put it into reverse the full warning tone sounded. Checked the back of the car nothing their and cleaned the 4 sensor surfaces. Every time I put the car into reverse the full close warning signal starts. Any ideas where to start looking for the fault would be helpful. Joe

Either the control box behind the plastic in the boot is stuffed or a sensor is stuffed. You can check the sensors by unplugging them one at a time. I'd start off with someone scanning the car with vcds which would show any fault if they are factory fit.

sounds like the normal issue with the sensor connector getting wet, have a look around on here, loads of parking sensor issues, most are fixed by the application of some silicone grease (or similar) after drying out, clue is last few days have been very wet in most parts of the country

I thought the beeping had stopped yesterday and it had gone back to working OK. Turned the ignition on (not started car) put it into reverse and checked all the sensors which seemed to be working OK. But now I am getting beeping again with nothing behind the car. Hopefully it will still be showing the fault when I take it to the garage but the dreaded sod's law may prevail and I won't be able to get a beep out of it. Joe

Have been to the garage today sadly my reversing sensors were not factory fitted so I don't think my extended warranty will cover replacement. Apparently the control box is sending power to the sound box continuously the good news is that since its my regular garage they have not charged me for their time checking it out. They reckon I will need a complete new system of parking sensors.

As I know the elegance trim had factory fitted sensors, are they sure they are not factory fitted? Are the sensors beeping continuously even if something is in the back, that will make it otherwise to give an intermittent beep? Mine were beeping continuously at some point, it was one of the sensors a bit inside, but were giving intermittent beep if something was in the back.

The car does have a tow bar (put on by the previous owner) but I have had the car for 5 yrs with no problems with the sensors. The Skoda garage where I bought the car also sold it to the first owner, I am only the second owner. I wonder if they can tell from the vin number whether the car had factory fitted reversing sensors. The guy who ran the computer vehicle check said there was no record of the sensors, which their would have been if it had been wired into the on board computer. Joe

Sounds like after market then matey. Get a pic up of the control box which should be in the boot somewhere and we can advise on what to do/ replace with.

I have contacted Skoda who confirm that the sensors were factory fitted. They are very kindly going to send me a full list of my cars speck, whether it gives names of units fitted I am not sure. I will try and find the control unit and get back to you.

• 2 years later...

Hi,I have the same issue. For a while when it's been wet the parking sensors have just emitted a long beep, then when they dry out the function correctly again. A few days ago they stopped working altogether.reversing lights still work but no light or sound from the sensor In the back window. Where is the fuse, or any suggestions on what else could be wrong?

Cheers