speed bumps

Does anyone have problems with speed bumps. There has been some fitted on a road round the corner from me and the bottom engine cover is scraping off it quite badly. I checked it today and seen massive scores on the cover the speed humps are massive and trying to get over them is like an assault course i have to slow right down some times even go close to not moving to be gentle on the car. one of my pals as a mk2 Octavia and he clears the hump, but i have sat his and mines side by side and his is higher than mine he has a 61 plate 1.6 TDI has anyone else got this issue.

yep i do.. but my car is 2" off the floor.. fun factor!

on a serious note, dont worry about it. as long as the plastics are secure they will be ok. The roads/speed bumps are getting stupid everywhere..

The joys of motoring as they say!

yep i do.. but my car is 2" off the floor.. fun factor!

on a serious note, dont worry about it. as long as the plastics are secure they will be ok. The roads/speed bumps are getting stupid everywhere..

The joys of motoring as they say!

i agree with you, these humps are terrible my car has standard suspension but if you or anyone else has lowered there's i cant imagine the struggle to get over them

Has your car been lowered? Either by you or a previous owner?

no my car is a standard 57 plate and its not a VRS just a Skoda Octavia TDI classic and i'm the first owner of the car so no one has played about with the suspension.

I`m guessing this is on the little "pillows" in the middle. Go over them with one wheel.

done that sometimes but its not easy. its a busy street and there's allot of double parking in areas of it.

no my car is a standard 57 plate and its not a VRS just a Skoda Octavia TDI classic and i'm the first owner of the car so no one has played about with the suspension.

My 2001 TDI Elegance clears speeds bumps with no issues.... sounds like your shocks/springs might be knackered, and the car is riding too low. What is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch - on both the front and rear?

Yeah speed bumps suck!!

I cant take the square things head on :(

Theres some other places i cant go too ..... Oooops

I'm exactly the same!

One of the other places you can't go wouldn't be multi storey car parks would it?

I have to pick careful to find ones without too steep ramps. :D

I'm exactly the same!

One of the other places you can't go wouldn't be multi storey car parks would it?

I have to pick careful to find ones without too steep ramps. :D

I dont do multi storeys really :) i do 1 in bristol and thats cabot circus cos wide and has a big winding ramp so its ok.......... Then i hide it in a corner :D

My 2001 TDI Elegance clears speeds bumps with no issues.... sounds like your shocks/springs might be knackered, and the car is riding too low. What is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch - on both the front and rear?

don't think so im a taxi driver so some of my pals as MK1 Octavia's and we sit the cars side by side and the ride height looks the same some of the other Skoda's are newer and older than mine but they have the same prob on this street and we try to avoid it as much as possible but il check anyway.

Just watch the sump, in my 3 year of taxi-Ing I've had to replace 7 sumps! Not good lol

G

yeah i know a few years ago probably 2006 i had a 55 plate Mk1 octavia and i by accident went over a pedestrian island and broke the sump oil everywhere but luckily nothing else was damaged.

We have new plastic ones in York that are massive square things, I want to rent a jcb one day and drive down some streets with the bucket down lol

Sent from my GT-I9100. Not a Crapple!

• Like 3

my octy tdi elegance clears the big square speed bumps with no issues. I always take them head on as the wheels fit either side if you are careful. That way you dont have to slow down. 100% standard.

Guest BigJase88

Im running 40mm down and i can clear speedbumps and multi storey with sump in tact believe it or not...

Ive seen taxi drivers drive and 99% of the time its horrendously bad!

Up until last week's sump breaking expedition, I would have been giving serious thought to lowering my VRS along the lines of Gee Man's car. But now I am looking to either replace my 96k old suspension with either replacement oem dampaers and springs, or a suspension kit that does not make more than a 5mm drop to the ride height.

I really get hacked off with Bexley and Dartford council with their "speed bump city" policy, and also the state of the roads round here. Basically if the speed bumps don't get you then the pot holes will. When I came across the unlit pothole on a blind corner, I had no chance to loose any speed or change line, I was just sent straight to the scene of a big bill. Claiming back from councils may eventually work, but the way the sump on our VRS's hangs in relation to the things that can hit it spoils the enjoyment of the car, as you constantly wonder if it is going to happen again.

Volvomeg, are you saying that fitting the lower brace gives you some protection from this or does it just hit that first?. Sorry to rant, but I really am starting to "grow into" this car, and this last week has not been a good one sorting all the electrical problems that came with the sump impact.

I dont think i could handle more than a very small drop in ride height. The road quality simply isn't good enough. If I were only driving around town/motorways and it was more of a shower than a goer then maybe however for backroad blasts i know of places where a mates Imprezza WRX has to slow down because it will ground out whereas I can keep going. His suspension is only like 10mm drop and stiff as a board.

Up until last week's sump breaking expedition, I would have been giving serious thought to lowering my VRS along the lines of Gee Man's car. But now I am looking to either replace my 96k old suspension with either replacement oem dampaers and springs, or a suspension kit that does not make more than a 5mm drop to the ride height.

I really get hacked off with Bexley and Dartford council with their "speed bump city" policy, and also the state of the roads round here. Basically if the speed bumps don't get you then the pot holes will. When I came across the unlit pothole on a blind corner, I had no chance to loose any speed or change line, I was just sent straight to the scene of a big bill. Claiming back from councils may eventually work, but the way the sump on our VRS's hangs in relation to the things that can hit it spoils the enjoyment of the car, as you constantly wonder if it is going to happen again.

Volvomeg, are you saying that fitting the lower brace gives you some protection from this or does it just hit that first?. Sorry to rant, but I really am starting to "grow into" this car, and this last week has not been a good one sorting all the electrical problems that came with the sump impact.

yeh the speed bumps around here are stupid. the ones at bluewater are like mountains!

• 1 month later...