Removing rear shelf cable hinges on tail door trim

rafi_arch

Could'nt post in "How Do I (Yeti)" - so here is my question:

How to remove the plastic hinges for the rear shelf cables from the tail door trim ?

Are they screws to be removed simply by unscrewing them with a torx bit ? Or are they plastic heads / pegs that clicks over a metal screw ?

To me they apear as metal screws with plastic torx head (female). I attempted to unscrew them without aplying great force but was afraid the plastic head will get apart from the metal thread core, as I have noticed a slight free movement (about 1-2 degrees in each direction), then they didn't go further.

The reason I want to unscrew them is for mounting 2 tilted small panoramic mirrors as reversing sight aid. I don't want damaging the reffined trim of the Yeti with self drilling screws. Unfortunately, there are no 3rd brake light screws here, as in my precedent car, where I managed to mount a big panoramic mirror using one of the screws, wich worked brilliant for me !

Neither double sided stick foam could resist the heat and the small mirror I have tryied in the Yeti did'nt stay there for long. IMO 2 mirrors are better than a central one, as you can apreciate distance from your car's corners to cars or objects not parallel to your car. As long as I could try it in the Yeti:

An object "touching" the rear wiper spray nozle image - was in fact 50 cm away from the rear bumper.

Here is a picture of this simple device in my precedent car - Fiat Doblo

Edited by rafi_arch

Why not just install parking sensors - or a reversing camera? - plenty on the internet at reasonable prices

I have my electronic toll tag (100x60mm) attached directly to the glass with 3m Heavy Duty clear mounting tape. Hasn't fallen off in years in the Aussie sun.

Why not just install parking sensors - or a reversing camera? - plenty on the internet at reasonable prices

I have my electronic toll tag (100x60mm) attached directly to the glass with 3m Heavy Duty clear mounting tape. Hasn't fallen off in years in the Aussie sun.

I apreciate your answers - I have expected such.

Considered parking sensors but myself I don't like "audible" warning about things I'm used to see while driving (my wife too - was used to the mirror device). It's not about the price. Also considered cam but I have the "Swing" - not the "Bolero" (does it have video input ?) - so it's somewhat messy. But maybe I'll go for it. IMO modern cars should have it from factory.

About attaching with heavy duty mounting tape - in the first week of owning the car I bought a big mirror (exactly the same size of my precedent - I left in the Doblo because the buyer liked and wanted it so much). It had a plastic back and a mounting arm with a mounting plate with heavy duty mounting tape for glass, but it meant I'll have to tamper with the heating wires on the glass - a thing I would'nt like to do. Also and maybe mainly - it was made of glass (unlike the precedent made of plastic) and passenger's safety comes first in case it may fall or worser. So I returned it. Mounting on the trim it's not so reliable as the surface is textured (tryed it).

I preffer to further try mounting based on those hinges / screws - they look to me a reliable way of mounting, but first I have to know how to remove them without causing damage.

Until the arrival of parking sensors I found that when reversing or going forward and I hit something it was time to proceed in the opposite direction. Nowadays with front and rear parking sensors I rarely hit anything!!

I also have park assist which, apart from the novelty value, it would not be an option I would pay for - it was on the car when I purchased it. I have only tried it once and it seemed to leave me about 6" from the kerb and even I can do better than that!

I apreciate your answers - I have expected such.

Also considered cam but I have the "Swing" - not the "Bolero" (does it have video input ?) - so it's somewhat messy. But maybe I'll go for it. IMO modern cars should have it from factory.

The Bolero does not have video input, but there is talk of somebody who has managed to connect a camera to a Bolero - however there are now some very good cameras that connect to a screen built into the rear view mirror - works as a normal mirror when going forward, if you don't have the rain sensor mirrors then this would be a neat idea.

Interesting discussion so far - but seems the thread is going off-topic.

It looks I'll have to wait untill Sunday to ask the service about the hinges / screws.

Hoped somebody here knows and has a prompt answer. Aniway, if I get answer from the service - I'll share here.

And a wishfull thinking: The Yeti deserves a pop-out reversing camera under the huge badge - as the Golf !

It had a plastic back and a mounting arm with a mounting plate with heavy duty mounting tape for glass, but it meant I'll have to tamper with the heating wires on the glass - a thing I would'nt like to do.

One could easily organise the strips of mounting tape to have gaps that miss the heater wires. Otherwise you can look at Skoda Erwin for the official shop manuals. It is recommended to buy a day's worth and print everything for you car.

Otherwise you can look at Skoda Erwin for the official shop manuals. It is recommended to buy a day's worth and print everything for you car.

Thanks !

I paid 5 euro and downloaded Bodywork manuals and Electric diagrams. It gave me the confidence to safely unscrew the "peg / screw". Indeed, it's a T20 torx (female) plastic peg 2 cm long + a metal M5 (5 mm metric thread) 1 cm long screw protruding from the plastic peg.

Now I know the type of screw to be used for a home made device for fixing a mirror, including a new hinge for the cable.

After finishing the project I'll share here !

This has gone slightly off topic but as Millstone raised the subject of a dual purpose interior mirror for use with a reversing camera I thought I'd share my experiences with one. I bought a kit to use on my Roomster that had a similar mirror but found it very difficult to use. The light level around the mirror restricted it's usefulness to dark days and dusk. Normal light levels prevented the image from the camera being seen. I tried many ways of shielding the mirror from direct light but eventually abandoned it!

I still have the kit if anyone would like to try it. Postage only required.

Fred

Thanks ! I paid 5 euro and downloaded Bodywork manuals and Electric diagrams. It gave me the confidence to safely unscrew the "peg / screw". Indeed, it's a T20 torx (female) plastic peg 2 cm long + a metal M5 (5 mm metric thread) 1 cm long screw protruding from the plastic peg.

Looking at my car, it looks like the screw goes from the inside of the plastic panel and the peg contains a female threaded metal bush. Because the recess is very deep, looks to need a long screw + cylindrical spacer + lateral support in the recess. Looking good so far!

Homemade "hinge / mirror holder" vs original hinge...

Screw = "key cylinder" mounting screw

First washer = to hold the cable

Small spacer = alu, female 5M threaded - don't remember from where they came...

2nd washer = to hold metal sheet mirror arm against big spacer

Big spacer = cuted from an alu tube, remains from a precedent work

All stuff from my "misc" box, the box wich my small boy is delighted each time I open...

Enjoy !

post-89143-0-33737700-1339323025_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafi_arch

Any ideas for a source of suitable mirrors?

http://www.hrautocomfort.de/eng/

http://www.hrautocom...&index=558_1048 - interior mirror page

http://www.hrautocom...&index=572_1057 - the one I"m looking for

Maybe TUE I'll be in TLV so I plan a visit at the sole importer of "HR Autocomfort" here.

As you can see there are suction cups solutions to fix the mirrors, but I doubt it works on the heated rear window because the wires cause a non perfect flat sourface, and air will get in at the end.

Besides, the cup places the mirror far away from the glass sourface so the optical geometry don't work anymore to get the view you need.