Blistein dampers on a '07 vRS hatch

Hi all,

So looking to replace my dampers as the originals are on the way out ( 2007 vRS TDi hatch with 65k miles). Been considering B4, B6 and B8 and looking to get prices for all. I took a look on the Bilstein online parts catlogue to get part numbers before I rang the suppliers.

<p>[url="

Hi all,

So looking to replace my dampers as the originals are on the way out. Been considering B4, B6 and B8 and looking to get prices for all. I took a look on the Bilstein online parts catlogue to get part numbers before I rang the suppliers.

It apperars for the vRS they have a 55mm and 50mm outer diamerter for all listed. Any one know which I need? Also it mentions sport and standard suspension...I had assumed standard was non-vRS cars, however its still showing those options when I select vRS. It also looks like B6 isnt available on sport suspesnion models. I am currently running an Eibach pro kit with the OE dampers (perhaps "sport" is a vRS chassis with the optional dealer fit skoda/eibach pro kit fitted??)

Thanks,

Alan

2.0Tdi = 55mm

B4 = Std OEM / twin tube

B6 = same length but firm damping / mono tube

B8 = shorter for lowered cars same damping as B6 / mono tube

Cheers thanks for that. So if the TDi is 55mm I take it the TFSi is 50mm, didnt realise they had a different setup.

Are the B4 much better than OEM in terms of damping as they are more expensive to buy that the OEM dampers.

From what I have heard that the damping character mimics OE but they are better built and should last longer..not that much more expensive either from what I have been told..

From what I have heard that the damping character mimics OE but they are better built and should last longer..not that much more expensive either from what I have been told..

I was seeing prices of about £40 for an OEM strut and £60 for a B4.

Ideally I'd prefer B6, but I know what the insurance companies do as soon as you go non oem equivalent.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had B4's fitted to mine to replace the OE shocks on estate at 112k miles (nothing wrong with them either - but was having new springs fitted, so it made sense).

Just over £200 delivered from Demon Tweeks (on this forum - speak to Chris). B6's are quite a bit more I believe.

The ride in my estate (OK it's not a Vrs but a PD140) is still pretty comfortable - neither the wife nor my mechanic dad noticed any different! But the springs have made a huge difference to cornering, braking and accelerating.

Can't say that I can attribute the improvements to the dampers necessarily, but all in a big difference to handling and very little change to the comfort.

HTH

Why get coilovers??

Because from my experience they are better. I'm not talking about the cheap tat on eBay, but Ohlins, Nitrons, Quantum, KW etc, all leagues ahead of conventional dampers and springs which are rarely matched properly. They also tend to be monotubes which are better anyway.

I've had traditional uprated dampers and springs on other cars and tbh I never really rated them.

There are some decent cheaper kits out there too. I have BC BR series coilovers on the Volvo (£700 - monotubes) and yes, you have the benefits of height adjustment, but you also have front top camber adjusters and a far better damping range than any uprated damper I've ever used. They also came with brand new and redesigned topmounts which work brilliantly and certainly on the Volvo were much better (in my opinion) than the OEM ones. I had Nivomats on the Volvo before and I can assure you I can heavily load the car and it's still nowhere near the ground.