Can just the Solenoid be replaced on the Starter Motor?

This is a follow up thread relating to the one i posted earlier this week:

http://www.briskoda....trics-are-fine/

In conculsion, the solenoid on the starter motor is sticking & needs a good whack with a hammer in order to get the car started!!!

But, is the solenoid replacable? As far as I can find, to replace the solenoid you need to buy the whole starter motor kit. I cant find anyone online that sells just the solenoid.

Does anyone know if the solenoid is replacable & if it is where can i get one from?

Cheers

Edited by Chris Berry

Yes, but IIRC they are not available from the dealer/VAG. Given that the solenoid switches that are available for other starters are about £80 from the dealer, you may want to consider a new starter.

You could go to Bosch or Valeo direct for a starter solenoid or repair kit and the parts would be considerably less that £80.

The only caution I would suggest, typically, if the car is "getting on" and has high mileage, then the starter may have had its day - you'd be very very annoyed if your rebuilt starter started grumping about its bearings being shot or brushes needing replaced and the commutator dressed up in a few weeks time.

Might be worth looking at getting the starter overhauled. Daughter had problems on one of her cars, and it was a lot less dosh to get the starter overhauled than a new one. I did phone one place for her to get a quote of around £45 to do .( Car - Laguna 1.8) .

Again, on cars a lot older ,I've been known to remove starter every so often and clean out / grease bearings / clean up contact pads . Only ever had one problem and that was clutch on a pre engaged one sticking. Gave it to a mate . He said that his starter moter mate was surprised to see so old a starter so much like new . But i'll bet that it's not possible to strip the new ones down .

Again, on cars a lot older ,I've been known to remove starter every so often and clean out / grease bearings / clean up contact pads . Only ever had one problem and that was clutch on a pre engaged one sticking. Gave it to a mate . He said that his starter moter mate was surprised to see so old a starter so much like new . But i'll bet that it's not possible to strip the new ones down .

Ah, the "good old" days, I reckon that I could my hands on a tool to remove the bendix assembly. In the "old" days, ignorance meant that starter motors were over engineered so build like brick toilets, pre-engaged ones got their teeth worn off and clutch dust filled up the bendix drive - so they did need removing and cleaning or replacing the front end every 4 or so years. Now, the starter motor is built down to a size/weight/price and normally fitted into an akward space, so the front bearing gets worn at one point - ie opposite the flywheel contact point, friction increases and maybe it comes time to give up on that one or get a bigger battery to buy some time, end result normally with an older car, is , replace the starter - a car that can't be trusted to start just becomes too much trouble - unless its a weekend "toy" .

• Like 1