Daily Telegraph "Least Reliable" family cars - Superb at No.5?

I heard an article on the radio yesterday while driving home, about the dominance of European cars in the recently-published Daily Telegraph "least reliable family cars" list. VAG vehicles were heavily represented (especially VW), but I nearly crashed when I heard that the Superb was No.5 on the list. Mention of the Superb was followed by the usual snide ignorant comments about Skoda (remember, I'm in New Zealand, where most people have either never heard of the brand or still associate it with pre iron-curtain communist-built vehicles). Putting that to one side, I'm really surprised to find the Superb on this list.

My experience to date of my 2010 Octavia Scout has been basically perfect and I thought this was also the case for most Superb owners, but maybe not?

I mentioned Skoda to one woman here and she asked why would I buy one of those? Her father used to have one on the farm and it was a real hassle getting parts from Russia. :rofl:

Lada, Skoda. It appears no-one here knows the difference.

The Skoda on the list is the Superb 1, wonder what all these "axle and suspension" problems are?

• Like 1

Isn't it a consequense of mass DSG7 falures recently in many country markets (Europe, China, Russia etc.).

In China, they say, Skoda is going to extend DSG7 warranty to 10 years following some legal actions in this country.

I wouldn't read too much into that tbh, the passat is in there as well and I would suspect the reason is the injector failure thing booting the % ratio up, nice to see the French are reliable at something, i.e consistent poor quality cars, the Vectra isn't unreliable at all and tbh it looks Ford sponsored as the Mondeo isn't among them and it's the only high volume seller that isn't, high volume selling cars will always look worse than say an Accord due to the increased amount of them.

Having owned around 10 new cars including BMW's & VW's I can honestly say the Superb is the most hassle free motoring I've ever had....

You are correct Danny 57 ,but the picture attached to the article is the Superb I and they quote built up to 2008; but again you are correct, many people will not notice this minor detail!

You are correct Danny 57 ,but the picture attached to the article is the Superb I and they quote built up to 2008; but again you are correct, many people will not notice this minor detail!

Or notice that the picture is a Superb 1. :wall:

So, the OP should have posted this article in the Superb 1 forum, not in the Superb II forum. The Superb 1 is a completely different car, I think the only part which is the same is the badge....

So, the OP should have posted this article in the Superb 1 forum, not in the Superb II forum. The Superb 1 is a completely different car, I think the only part which is the same is the badge....

Fair comment. I don't think I can move a topic, but agree, this should more properly sit in the Superb 1 forum. As an Octavia owner, I haven't posted in the Superb forums before and should have spotted this, sorry.

My limited driving experience of the Superb has been nothing but positive and if a "proper" (as opposed to bolt-on cosmetic panels) raised ground clearance 4x4 Superb Scout emerges, it will be on my shopping list next time.

Edited by Simon Cobb

Don't be sorry as the article's main headline did not make that distinction (until you read into it) so it is useful information for both variants. IMO. :thumbup:

Edited by Danny 57

Why bother- we know how good the car is. If there is a perception that this is not the case then fewer people will buy one and they will be all the more exclusive, which will keep resale values up for those in the know

Anyway, just meed to look at JD power, Autocar etc to see how owners rate the cars

There is no thing as bad publicity

Why bother- we know how good the car is. If there is a perception that this is not the case then fewer people will buy one and they will be all the more exclusive, which will keep resale values up for those in the know

I don't agree. Bad publicity --> fewer new sales --> cars not popular --> resales values drops like an renault 19

Could say it is a good thing for one looking for a nice second hand superb II

Resale values on skoda's are pretty good here in DK. So good in fact that if you plan to keep the car more than a few year it will often be cheaper in total cost to buy a new enstead of an used one ...

I've had a Superb - in New Zealand - since late 2010, and it's been interesting to watch peoples reactions to the car, especially after having switched from an A6. The Skoda is more comfortable, spacious, and reliable (so far at least) - and after a re-map leaves the average A6 in its dust !. Over the last 6 - 9 months there are significantly more Skodas on the roads here, and I've had a number of people asking me about the car, & saying positive things about the brand.

Having ventured into the cold South for the past couple of days I even saw a new Superb driving around Christchurch...

Having ventured into the cold South for the past couple of days I even saw a new Superb driving around Christchurch...

There are a few (and I mean a few) around down here. They are so much more exclusive than their "common" Audi cousins :giggle: . Seriously, I can remember seeing only 2 or 3 Scouts in the almost 2 years I've owned my car. It's quite beyond me why more haven't sold. It's not like there isn't plenty of money around in the Christchurch economy at the moment. Car dealers are having a great year, with people getting earthquake payouts and opting to buy a new car with the proceeds. You should see the number of new Audis, BMWs, VWs and Range Rovers on the road, yet the Skoda marque still fails to tick the boxes for most people here, who buy other brands on the misguided theory that it "cost lots of money, so must be good".