Octavia bonnet stay

On 1st. June, 2012 I picked up my new Race Blue Octavia vRS Hatchback DSG (petrol). Now after three weeks Ii have 1500 miles on the clock and can enjoy the delighful performance.

A couple of minor points disappoint. My dealer (Marlborough Skoda) tried to modify the car so that both rear foglights come on but Skoda HQ advised that it can't be done! Why on earth isn't standard, I, like many people in the UK, often drive on the continent. Makes about as much sense as not making electric folding door mirrors an available option on the vRS (my garage is narrow and I have to fold the N/S mirror).

The one that really gets me though is the bonnet stay. Not since the 1970's have I had to use a manual prop to hold open the bonnet! Has anyone had an Octavia modified by fitting a gas strut or some other convenient way of holding open the bonnet? If so I'd love to know the details please. Our other car is a 1999 Mk.4 Golf 1.6 which has a super single gas strut which can't weigh an extra few grams more than a manual strut.

Enough of the gripes, I love the car, love the colour, love the performance and so does all the family.

The twin rear fog lamp mod can be done very easily in the VCDS. There should be someone on here near to you who will be able to do it.

As for the electric mirrors, I think that's to keep a distance between Skoda and VW/Audi.

You must have driven posh cars - I've never had a car with a gas strut on the bonnet. Would be cool to have one though!!

Glad you like the car. I think they're an epic mix of practicality, performance and value for money.

skodanorman,

Thanks for your response. I seem to recall I read somewhere on these forums that on the Facelifted version of the Octy vRS if you set on both rear fogs you trigger a warning light! If I can find someone with VCDS near me it would be worth a try though. I live in Roehampton which is London SW15.

The electrically folding mirrors are standard on the Octy Laurin & Klement so why not as an option on other models.

My wife and I share two cars. The other (sometimes shared by my daughter) is a 1999 Mk. 4 Golf 1.6 SE manual which we have had from new. Not what I would regard as a "posh" car but the bonnet is supported by a neat gas strut in roughly the same position as the Octy's manual one. The Skoda replaced a 1995 Vauxhall Omega, not exactly posh either.

The vRS is a bit faster than the 3 litre Omega auto and uses about a third less petrol as best as i can judge. Wife and daughter totally approve of my choice of new car

Both rear fogs cannot be activated with vcds on the FL.

Although I have heard that it is possible to do so via VAS ... But not so sure .!

Superskoda sell a gas strut for the bonnet.

As said above - there is simply no possible way to enable second fog-light on facelift version of car.

Be that with VCDS, VAS or whatever - plenty of anicdotal "Yer, I know someone who has done it" but yet to see any kind of proof anywhere that it has been actually done.

If it's a big problem to you, I'm sure it could be done with a relay...after all, it's possible to wire a fog light feed into rowboat wiring. It would need to be done by someone who knows what they were doing so as not to upset the modern wiring system/bulb failure etc.

As said above - there is simply no possible way to enable second fog-light on facelift version of car.

Be that with VCDS, VAS or whatever - plenty of anicdotal "Yer, I know someone who has done it" but yet to see any kind of proof anywhere that it has been actually done.

It has been done.

The more info link says it was done via the BCM coding. Excuse my ignorance but what is the BCM and does anyone know by what means its coding can be changed?