Strange problems on way home from work

My skoda is oly 600 miles old.

I got in at work ready to drive home (about 10 miles of 50-70mph) this evening and noticed that the front/rear sensor graphic on the display wasn't showing up. I could hear the beeps, but the graphic wasn't there.

After about 3 or 4 minutes of driving I decided to stop the engine then start it again to see if that would kick the sensor graphic into working. It did. So, that seems to be a temp glitch.

However, on my journey home, I noticed that the engine wasn't automatically shutting down as it normally does at the various sets of roundabouts and traffic lights. I did have the aircon on, but not excessively, and it's a warmish evening so the car had chance to get up to temperature. Very odd.

On reversing onto my drive at home and getting out of the car, I noticed it was very very hot with a small of burning/hot rubber. I could hear a loud fan (much louder than usual) running under the bonnet. No smoke or steam, just the fan and the smell.

Any ideas? I don't know much about cars, but I know this doesn't sound right.

Like I say, only 600 miles old, and it's a greenline elegance model.

My bluemotion has had the NOX sensor replaced and it was doing similar, only I had the added joy of it drinking it's adblue too quickly.

Since replacement the stop/start is working correctly again and even with AC on can get a few minutes before it starts again.

No Adblue used or even required on the Superb.

Birket, the symptoms you describe are of the DPF carrying out a regen cycle which is perfectly normal.

Birket, the symptoms you describe are of the DPF carrying out a regen cycle which is perfectly normal.

Can you explain what that is exactly? So you are saying the hot rubbery smell is normal, and the fact that auto-shut off didn't function was normal?

As your car is only 600 miles young, could just be protective waxes burning off the engine and exhaust.

I would not worry about the smells, just keep an eye on temp and signs of steam or smoke but should be Ok

The DPF is part of the exhaust. It heats itself up sometimes to burn off what it's collected. When this happens you get the smell like you described.

Regarding the engine cutting off: it's entirely possible the aircon is the reason. The cold air would stop almost straight away if the engine stopped.

From the manual:

Conditions for the automatic engine shut down (stop phase)

› The gearshift lever is in Neutral.

› The clutch pedal is not depressed.

› The driver has fastened the seat belt.

› The driver's door is closed.

› The bonnet is closed.

› The vehicle is at a standstill.

› The factory-fitted towing device is not electrically connected to a trailer.

› The engine is at operating temperature.

› The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.

› The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.

› The engine speed is less than 1200 1/min.

› The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

› There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.

› The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is

not too great.

› The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater

than 3 km/h.

No cleaning of the diesel particle filter takes place » page 24

› The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4

of a steering wheel revolution).