VRS cambelt/water pump change kit

Folks,

First post on here and I know this topic has been covered to death however....

I have just been qouted £609 by my local dealer for an 80k service and the belt/pump change. Having done a bit of pricing up on the parts they said they would replace, I reckon I could make a decent saving should I do the work myself. Has anyone experience of trying this and if so, anyone recommend a kit to use? Does the Haynes manual cover the VRs...it says not on the back but is there that much difference?

Cheers all,

Squawk

Personally I would prefer to get the dealer to do it. If you get it wrong it's new engine time! It's a major job, that's why labour is so much.

If this quote was from a local Skoda dealer it's about right, it's around £300 for a service.

Edited by DionJ

If you have never replaced a cambelt then its a no for you to do it yourself,i shall be replacing mine this year & i to am looking for a manual,haynes do one for the octavia but its a diesel only manual,im not sure if haynes do a manual for the mk5 golf gti which has the same engine,i will probably get a online timing belt manual from autodata for my engine & use that as a reference point. I shall (subject to price) use my local parts dept at my skoda dealer for the cambelt kit & water pump & engine mounting bolts that are req.

Check out Skoda's 'National Pricing'...

Cambelt & waterpump - £369

Minor service - £129

Major service - £249

£498 for the cambelt, waterpump and oil and filter. Buy the fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter off eBay and fit these yourself (easy)...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/owners/national-pricing/pages/servicing.aspx

A lot of dealers don't promote this for obvious reasons. These prices are still negotiable too!

Oh is it a recent one, last time I rang their customer services they said they might do one, most of the stuff I have worked out now anyway! :giggle: