Underground advice needed from London locals please!

Stu vRS

Hi all,

I am going to see Faith No More on Sunday at the Hammersmith :) very excited.

I am staying in Premier Inn Warford Central and have a few questions about the underground.

1. There are 3 stations in Watford - Watford, Watford Junction and Watford High Street - Watford looks the easiest to use but does anybody else have any thoughts?

2. The route is saying Metropolitan South changing at Baker Street on to Hammersmith. This is the same on the way back. I assume the concert will be a good few hours, will the underground on this route be running at around 10-11pm for my return?

3. My app says the Metrpolitan line has service outage on - "Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 July, no service between Wembley Park, Uxbridge and Northwood and between Moorgate and Aldgate. Rail replacement buses operate." Will this affect the route I am taking?

Many, many thanks for the help, never been to London before so I'm clueless!

Stu.

Never been out Watford way Stu but bear with me, if you leave from Watford your original route is correct, but the bus replacement will kick in as Northwood is a couple of stations after Watford and Aldgate is the other side of Baker Street. My advise would be get across to Watford High Street, get the overground to Harrow, then the Bakerloo line to Paddington, change to Hammersmith and City to Hammersmith, OR from West Ruislip take the Central line to White City then change for the H & C to Hammersmith. The tube runs past midnight so you'll have no worries about getting back.

Of course if you go on the Bakerloo you will be changing from pink to brown :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Never been out Watford way Stu but bear with me, if you leave from Watford your original route is correct, but the bus replacement will kick in as Northwood is a couple of stations after Watford and Aldgate is the other side of Baker Street. My advise would be get across to Watford High Street, get the overground to Harrow, then the Bakerloo line to Paddington, change to Hammersmith and City to Hammersmith, OR from West Ruislip take the Central line to White City then change for the H & C to Hammersmith. The tube runs past midnight so you'll have no worries about getting back.

Of course if you go on the Bakerloo you will be changing from pink to brown :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Thanks for the advice Daisy.

West Ruislip looks a bit far out for me so the Watford High Street route looks the most probable.

What would you advise as the best way of paying? Me and the missus were planning to go on a mooch round London the follow day so would be using the underground again to get from Watford to London and back again.

If you've got the post code of your hotel I'll have a proper look for you, as for paying you can get a one day travelcard but you'll need one for Sat and another for Sun so it will be pricey, you could get an Oyster card but there's a £5 deposit on them then you just load it like a pre pay phone.

If you've got the post code of your hotel I'll have a proper look for you, as for paying you can get a one day travelcard but you'll need one for Sat and another for Sun so it will be pricey, you could get an Oyster card but there's a £5 deposit on them then you just load it like a pre pay phone.

Premier Inn Watford Central

Timms Meadow, W, Watford,

Hertfordshire WD17 2NJ

I am driving down on the Sunday, seeing the band at Hammersmith Sunday night and going round London the following Monday, heading back to the hotel Monday afternoon/evening then driving home again.

Many thanks for the help again :)

Right, you're just round the corner from Watford High St., so overground-Bakerloo- Ham & city looks your best bet., forget the train !!

Thank you!

How do you think the best way to pay will be?

There will be just me travelling the Sunday night to Hammersmith and back, and then the two of us will be travelling to Central London (usual attractions) and back.

Thanks again Daisy, appreciate the help.

Unfortunately you can only get a one day or seven day travelcard (for the life of me I don't know why they don't do a two day one), so given the distance into town over two days I'd go with the Oyster card, have a look here and see what's going to suit you best:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

something to think about in the future is that it can work out cheaper paying for a more expensive hotel near the centre if it means less travel.

I used to live in Watford (roughly equal distance from all the stations) and always went in on the underground!

While Watford Junction would be my second choice, you need to look at an underground map as I don't think you can go direct from Watford to Hammersmith.

either watford high street or watford jnct change to bakerloo line at queens park then change at baker st and take hammersmith line here is a link to transport for london website it has maps and journey planners for travel in london http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

This is exactly what my phone app recommends, however, if you put the same information in on tfl none of the options comes up with that?

They all involve some sort of bus travel which I would rather avoid.

Any ideas why this is anybody?

Probably giving you the quickest or cheapest route rather than the easiest.

So you don't think there is any disruption / maintenance on the route you said?

Sorry for all the questions, just never been to London before and trying to make sure it goes smoothly :)

Many thanks again.

Paddington station's going to be shut so.....as before but take the Bakerloo to Baker St (rather than Paddington), then change there for Ham and City as before.

And don't forget to sing along to Epic at the end :thumbup:

Oh, and routes are marked north/south, east/west bound, make sure your going in the right direction !!

Edited by Lazy Daisy

I didn't even know Faith No More were still going :rock:

Don't forget the tube service ends earlier on Sundays. Check your times carefully.

I've lived in London for nearly 15 years and I've still got caught out by stupid times for last trains and had to endure the nightmare that is the NIGHT BUS. The horror… The horror… :sweat:

I didn't even know Faith No More were still going :rock:

Don't forget the tube service ends earlier on Sundays. Check your times carefully.

I've lived in London for nearly 15 years and I've still got caught out by stupid times for last trains and had to endure the nightmare that is the NIGHT BUS. The horror… The horror… :sweat:

Yeah they reformed a few years ago, they were supposed to be playing Sonisphere which got cancelled, so are doing a Hammersmith and Brixton Academy gig.

I have no idea what the last train times are - can anybody help?

Thank you!