What to clean a MAF with?

I think my VRS's MAF may need a clean, and while I've read about plenty of people doing it themselves what do I use to clean it and, being a delicate piece of equipment, is there anything I've got to watch out for whilst doing it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Get some electrical contact cleaner spray and put the maf in a plastic bag (freezer bag) and give it a good spray and get plenty of fluid into the bag. Then leave it a while and let it try off fully before re-fitting.

I cleaned my old MAF with Electrical Contact Cleaner (Halfords, £3.99). It certainly improved things for a while, but in my experience (on 3rd MAF with my VRS), once they start going, cleaning only delays the inevitable spend on a new MAF.

If you do need another MAF, don't for 1 second consider getting a £20-£40 MAF from eBay ....... I did, and it lasted 4 days. They are made with cheap patterned Chinese sensors and cannot read the air flow as accurately as the real ones. Get a proper VAG one. £120 inc VAT on exhange. Not cheap but completely solves MAF issues. :)

I'm using this for allmost 2 years and is excelent.My MAF is the original 11 years old ,works perfect,no faults on VC-DS

http://www.liquimoly...t_details&id=59

Don't use contact cleaner or brake disc cleaner,those MAF sensors are very sensible and for 9pounds doesn't worth the risk

Edited by IulianE
  • Like 1

I've got one I bought on ebay to check mine was ok, cleaned mine before hand but it'd made no difference, my issue turned out to be breather hoses, so I still have this spare MAF, it was from a scrap dealer, PM me if your interested, I don't want much.

+1 on the isopropyl. Best way to avoid poisoning. And great for cleaning tape heads too... (for you kids out there, tapes are what we had before CD's, and CD's were what we had before you had your memory sticks!;))

I always keep a stash of Isopropyl around, serves lots of purposes. Even in desperation as nail varnish remover when the wife has run out...

• Like 1

I always keep a stash of Isopropyl around, serves lots of purposes. Even in desperation as nail varnish remover when the wife has run out...

Yeh... the wife?! :)

Will give some a go as I used contact cleaner on mine a while ago and although it made a difference initially I have noticed a couple of times when I have gone past 3000 rpm it goes very flat and the power seems to drop off.

Phil