Running In - Is This True?

The beauty of a Rolling Road is setting up an engine, and getting its power output, and great stuff.

Then it comes to putting that down on the road, so front wheel drive & power without grip off the line is

'no traction no action'.

A twin charge 1.4 is not a fast vehicle 0-30, and so easily shown up at traffic lights by a moped.

30-50, 50-70 50-80 etc etc is where that extra BHP will be making a huge difference and the re-maps and come into their own.

Not if the infamous 'Heat soak' is causing your loss of additional power that you went to the trouble to get dialed in.

george

The 'testing' was done coming off a roundabout onto dual carriageways.

ye i understood that,

the others comments mentioned RR's

re,

Engine running in, in the old sense might have gone,

but,

new tyres out the garage still need a few hundred miles on them.

Bearings, bushes, dampers etc are best listened to and given a chance to get a bit of an easy life for a few hundred miles & get the coating off the Discs & pads & stretch the hand brake cable a little all needs doing.

Getting to know the car and go check that the Tyre pressure is as you want, set the TPMS to your setting,

check the wheel nuts and even the oil level is all part of running in for 500-1000 miles if you want to be sure.

Never trust the guy that did the PDI.

JMO obviously.

Its amazing how many cars with just 50 miles or so on them are in the Salvage/breakers yard.

george

Edited by sk4gw

I suppose one possibility that I never thought of (both of us has traction going nuts at the beginning) is that his has done 4-5k more miles than mine (I think) so tyres could have less traction?

I sat in that car, I think it was the young salesmanship who sold me mine ;-) he took me out in it before we got mine out the showroom to play with and then take home. Lol! Did you see a mk1 silver fabia vrs? I loved the derv, wish I could of had both!

I sat in that car, I think it was the young salesmanship who sold me mine ;-) he took me out in it before we got mine out the showroom to play with and then take home. Lol! Did you see a mk1 silver fabia vrs? I loved the derv, wish I could of had both!

That explains the bulge in the drivers seat then!

I think Dave (Sharkrider) has already proved this point with his standard - but driven hard since day one - Mk2 vRS :)

Indeed, and at a back to back up a big hill recently, with another standard vRS behind me, I was pulling away, and I can garuntee both cars are standard...,

Now I know rrds are a touchy matter as to how accurate they are, but I've seen results on standard cars ranging from 178bhp to 195bhp on totally standard cars....

I'm not saying a standard car can do that... BUT standard Clio Williams have seen 170bhp on the 150bhp engine, the BLT engine code mark 1 vRS is famous fir cosistantly producing 150bhp when it's supposed to be 130bhp...

So I recon it's possible to have a higher output... I will put mine on a rr when there is a suitable meet near me.

With regards to the op, what speeds were you doing your tests at? I have driven a revo remapped car, and up to 60mph it feels the sane as mine, it's only above that when you get into the higher gearing that the extra power becomes obvious......

The mileage I think helps with yours. The more miles you do the better it gets. Just about to have my first service and I feel it getting quicker all the time. I don't spare the horses either. Mine does use oil but getting less all the time. Hopefully once I have the service it will improve considerably. Strangely MPG has been bad lately too.

Theortically, if we were to do a test we'd have gone up to 90mph as I'd the bong going off (maxidot) at that speed.

On a private road....

The only way to really confirm who's is faster is on the RR. Realistically there are a lot of variables that will impact road driving

indeed... I found the short gears up to about 40 mph, made the mapped and the remapped cars feel identical...... but the power was obvious in the higher gears.

plus it was freezing, I had winters, the mapped car had conti's....

we could go on.

A Rolling Road has never ever proved that one car is actually 'faster' than another.

You are Stationery in one place and travelling no place.

They Prove which is 'putting out more power', you strap down a car and get traction on the rollers and go through the gears,

they do what they are supposed to do.

(they prove which is 'putting out power' on the Rolling Road in controlled instances, but not at different ambient temperatures etc)

As mention on variable,

No account is taken of the traction, suspension, steering, or even the braking on a rolling road.

So you get to know one thing, which is which car can transmit most power on the Rolling Road.

But you cant travel to work on top of a Rolling Road,

well you could tow your vehicle behind one on a trailer & race another one being towed on a trailer.

Apart from one person getting to 60 or 70 maybe one second faster than the other, then 70 is the same speed, as is 80 or 90.

If you are behind each other and both can do that same speed easily, then neither is faster,

you are both doing 70 mph.

If you think that one car puts out more torque than another and prove that on a rolling road, then on a real road, the slower car might choose a different gear, or be on different tyres, or maybe get on the throttle quicker than the car in front.

Rolling roads are a guide to power on a Rolling Road and an indication of only that,

they do not tell you what car is faster in real life, only which might be.

But then why would you take them up the strip ore on the track if you just need 2 rolling roads side by side, and decide that way?

george

Edited by sk4gw

But your arguement is also floored because there are too many variables for telling which is faster on a normal road.

Tyres, driver, cars etc. You're right a RR will only tell you which has more power but it'll be more accurate than trying to pitch two cars against each other on track/road.

In the OP's original post he asked if a standard car run in differently can have the same power as a car with a tuning box, a RR will tell you that not a road/track race.

Edited by VRS-Powered

Of course put the cars on a Rolling Road and see which one has greater BHP through the rev range and in any particular gear. (not the HP)

Compare the 2 in Rolling Road conditions.

But you said to see which is 'Faster', not which might be faster.

Is your car 'slower' for what you do compared to one with better Rolling Road figures?

george

I don't know as I don't bother comparing, my car does what I want and that's what matters to me.

OP : If you want to see which has more power get them on the RR, only way to tell.

Edited by VRS-Powered

I thought you did bother comparing.

Also thought you were going up the 1/4 mile for fun.

Less fun and less money to stand with somebody else that does not bother and compare Print outs from a Dyno and then subtract previous Reaction times and job done!

george

Edited by sk4gw

LOL, Differting nothing certainly not opinions just your terminology,

i asked you and said just on this page alone, what you just said now, "the only way to see power"

Up the page you were at "the only way to confirm who's is faster is on the RR"

You can lead a horse to water....!

george

• 3 weeks later...

I've always used the hard break in method , a new engine needs to be worked to ensure the rings bed in correctly. I spent many years drag racing motorcycles where there was no opportunity to bed an engine in on the road most were built , run to operating temperature and allowed to cool and everything was checked for tightness and then it was raced down the quarter mile that was it

Similar with the cars, change gear and brake gently as the motor isnt the only thing that needs gentle attention when new but dont be afraid to give it plenty of full throttle runs to the redline and plently of high rpm stuff , dont let the engine plod along make it work a little

On the dyno both my PD VRS and CR 170 Superb make more than the manufacturers figures and neither need the oil topped up between services although they did to start with

Some might find this interesting reading

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

• Like 1