Side light issue

Hi my 20011 Octavia vrs has developed a side light problem. Both the front side lights aren't working the bulbs are ok and there's no fault codes present the circuit has just shut down. The fuses are all ok and the bcm is getting the message that they are switching on because the DRL's switch to dim. Any ideas

On the VRS the DRL's are the side lights. The ones in the headlights aren't wired up, they are only there as its a standard headlight unit for all Octavia's.

On the FL vRS the little side light bulbs arent meant to work. Although they are fitted (probably every halogen type headlight octavia is the same, vRS or not) they are not wired in.

instead the LEDs act as the sidelights.

Could probably be wired up and made to work, but to be honest probably a lot of work for little gain.

Problem is people who don't understand the dimmed drl think you are a chav who won't switch the sidelights on. Personally I think rear drl should also be introduced, I have my car set up for Scandanavian drl so that I can have front and rear lights on at all times for that bit extra visibility.

• Like 1

I've read on here that there is no wiring for the side lights.

The vRS has a different wiring loom behind the headlights to feed the LED DRL's and they've done away with the wire for the standard non-functioning 5W sidelight bulbs...

• 4 months later...

Not quite, you car is still equipped with sidelights, just not the normal W5W bulbs fitted inside the headlight clusters.

When you select the sidelight position using the light switch your LED DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) dim from full to half brightness to perform the role of sidelights.

The OPs car is a 2011 model, and unfortunately, there is no VCDS setting for North American or Scandinavian DRLs on facelift models. I totally agree with what you say, why have front but not rearlights. Both my (pre-FL) Octys are runing on Scandinavian.

On the FL models, there should be a way of VCDS activating the rear lights whilst front DRLs are on. A friend with a Yeti has recently had this done by the dealer, and I have scans and coding for the before (without rears) and after (with rears) and it's one digit difference in the coding of h=the central electronics module.

Mike

I have the feeling I have seen North American or Scandinavian option for thr FL on the vcds, must see.

Not quite, you car is still equipped with sidelights, just not the normal W5W bulbs fitted inside the headlight clusters.

When you select the sidelight position using the light switch your LED DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) dim from full to half brightness to perform the role of sidelights.

It will also light up the rear running lights and number plate lights.

• 1 year later...

Might be bringing up a old post here but i used the search to find this :)

is there anyway of making the front DRL lights the same brightness when flicked to side lights ? i know they dip but wondering if there was a mod where they could stay the same brightness?

Rob.

I think people missed what I was saying I mean the led strips are on all the time even when the light selection is off and when I flick it to Side lights the strip led lights dim and it puts the side lights on the back then another click and headlights come on, what I meant was could the led strip lights remain the same brightness on side light mode not headlight?

Could probably be wired up and made to work, but to be honest probably a lot of work for little gain.

Problem is people who don't understand the dimmed drl think you are a chav who won't switch the sidelights on. Personally I think rear drl should also be introduced, I have my car set up for Scandanavian drl so that I can have front and rear lights on at all times for that bit extra visibility.

They can be wired up.  I know because I have done this. I took about 30mins a side. Here is a picture of the wiring.

20131012 142701