Gilmour Foamaster II or PB Foam Lance?

KBPhoto

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a (foam) gun!

According to Polished Bliss the Gilmour Foamaster II is "In our opinion, the best foam gun currently on the market" while the PA Foam Lance is "In our opinion, ... the best on the market".

So, which is it?

The Foamaster connects to a hosepipe, while the PA needs a pressure washer (I have access to a Karcher, but a hosepipe is more convenient).

Is there any benefit in having one over the other?

With the Gilmour at £54 and the PA at £48, there is little price difference.

Any one have any experience of these or can suggest something better at around the same price?

Foamaster is the equivalent of The Conference League v the Foam Gun in the Premier league

I think I get the gist, but the football references are wasted on me. Sorry.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to keep borrowing my dad's pressure washer!

I second the link to a Nilfisk. I have that very one, the only thing I would say is the Nilfisk Auto Wash is not very thick when it comes out of the Lance.

I am probably not mixing it correctly but am filling it about 5 parts water to 1 part Wash.

The patio cleaner however is fantastic !!

Does the Nilfisk have a foam gun in amongst the attachments? How does it compare to the more expensive foam lances?

It doesn't seem to have all the bits in the pictures.

I have just ordered the Autobrite HD Snow Foam lance which looked as good as the rest as there was a group buy listed on 'Detailing World' for £39.99 including 500ml of snow foam.

I'll try to update this thread once I've got it and tried it.

Thanks to all for the advice.

How can you be sure that one of these things will successfully connect to the pressure washer that you have? I have a Bosch AHR 1200. I'm new to this `Snow Foam` lark...so just learning.

You choose the connector you need from the following list...

Bosch

Karcher HDS

Karcher K series (bayonet)

Kranzle M22 long reach

Lavor

M22 short reach

Nilfisk Quick Release Spiggott

Nilfisk/Kew/Alto (bayonet)

Well, that would certainly fit into the `gun` part instead of one of my lances...so I just need to order one of those when I order the snow foam lance? Thank you.

Well, that would certainly fit into the `gun` part instead of one of my lances...so I just need to order one of those when I order the snow foam lance? Thank you.

You can order the adapters separately, but usually when you order, you are asked to select th adapter you need.

see http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/exterior-cleaning/autobrite-direct-snow-foam-lance/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html

So it arrived today: very impressed with Autobrite so far. Ordered late Saturday night and arrives Tuesday morning!

As today was dry I thought I'd try it out (and the car needed a clean).

Had it set near the thickest, foamiest setting with about 1.5" of raw foam in the bottle with warm water (about 1:10 ish).

Sprayed well on to car after first wetting the bodywork. I could adjust how watery it was and also the spread of the spray. Looks and feels like a well made big of kit.

Left the foam on the car for about 5-6 minutes and pressure washed it off to find that pretty much all the dirt was still there!

So made it thicker and tried again leaving it for 15 mins.

Still there...

Am I expecting too much of a foam gun to get most of the dirt off? I wasn't expecting miricles, but I was expecting the car to be cleaner to some extent...

Back with the buckets and cloths: and this is where I perhaps noticed the difference - the bugs and dirt stuck to the front bumper were easier to remove with the cloths.

I still felt that I was washing as much dirt around the car as previously, it was just easier to wash off.

Have I missed something?

Should I try a different foam? If I do can I expect better results?

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with the gun, but I'm not impressed with the foam pre-wash based upon today...

I thought this stuff was designed to be used on a DRY car...otherwise, if its wet, as you said yours was, KBPhoto, wont the suds just run off without doing its job?

The suds did stick and ran off slowly. There was still some foam running down after 10mins.

The instructions said to put it on a wet car as well...

Having read quite a bit about these things prior to purchasing one, I expected to see dirty soap suds dripping off the car where the car was dirtiest.

All I saw was foam slowly working its way down the vehicle leaving all the dirt behind (but softening it a bit).

Maybe I was expecting too much, but lots of threads seem to suggest that the car should at least look 'cleaner' after a pre-wash.

Disappointed, but will try a different foam before giving up.

If you were hoping to spray on, wait 10 minutes, rinse off and have a clean car then you were hoping for too much. I've found that the car is easier to clean after snowfoaming so I think it's worth it.

The effectiveness of the snowfoaming depends on the finish on the car.

Although there are claims on various forums (including this one) that suggest its a 'contactless' wash, I was sceptical (like lots of others).

But seeing pictures of dirty foam dripping off the car, I was expecting more than I got.

I was hoping (but not expecting) that it might have been used as an 'inbetween' wash to get rid of the worst of the dirt.

Or at least to see some dirt running down the car.

Live & learn...

Maybe I need to polish & wax the car first?

I'm brand new to `Snowfoaming` too. I've never done it before...never even seen anyone else using it, but reading the guys on here it seems to be the thing to do. That being the case I have today ordered a Snowfoam lance to fit my Bosch pressure washer and some stuff called `Valet Pro - Advanced Neutral Snow Foam`. Both from `cleanyourcar.co.uk. I'm hoping that I am not as disappointed as you obviously are. All the best KBPhoto.

I too hope you have more 'success' with it than I did today.

I think I'm going to try a different ratio of soap first (although I think I had enough in the main bottle), then maybe a different make of foam.

Then... We shall see.

Do let us know how you get on.

Just to be clear, I don't suspect any problems with the Autobrite HD foam gun that I have and have no issue (only good words) for the company & foam gun.