Do I go for a vRS or L&K?

The OP needs an L&K, I think nickguzzi should have bought a vRS :giggle:

Didn't want a Vrs for the reasons someone else gave - comfort,increased costs, insurance etc. As I do most of my milage in long stints, it was a no brainer to take the L&K over the cheaper Vrs. The changes I outlined have not changed the ride at all, only the handlng and possibly the roadholding although that was not the objective at all.

Never had a vehicle I haven't changed at least a little. MY guzzi of 32 yrs does not have a siingle peice which is as it came out of the factory, my cars tend to be less mauled about, but then I only keep them 10 years or so.

Each to their own, either car is likely to serve you well. My last octavia went with 250000miles still running like a train. My first diesel, a Talbot Horizon 1982, went to a mate at 320000. He moved it on after another 50000mls, and I still saw it around occasionally in Leicester right up until I left 15 years ago. Treat a Diesel properly and they'll do you proud.

+1 on the 1.8TSI L&K

You don't have to have the light grey leather. I went for the Onix (Very Dark Grey) Alcantara looks classy if a little dark. I have seen a few 2nd hand ones like that.

Sample pictures here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/140950-just-got-my-new-lk-brief-review-comments/page__hl__alcantara#entry1803698

Good engine as well.

Simon

Mine is a 58 plate version of the above, and it's ace!

Personally, i've always found that no matter what suspension dampers a car of this level has on it, it's never as good as a nice Koni top adjustable set-up, so if I ever wanted my L&K to handle like a vRS, i'm fairly sure a set of those would do it on the existing springs! Admitted it's about £500, but it's £500 quid Skoda would never spend on a car, hence the superb comfort and handling combination.

Not bothered about how low it looks, and i've had soooooo many mechanics and suspension people tell me that that all shorter springs realistically do is make it look good, if that's your thing. From personal experience in the Golf world, that's always appeared to be the case in all the cars i've been in at shows and meets!

+1 on the 1.8TSI L&K

You don't have to have the light grey leather. I went for the Onix (Very Dark Grey) Alcantara looks classy if a little dark. I have seen a few 2nd hand ones like that.

Sample pictures here

http://www.briskoda....ra#entry1803698

Good engine as well.

Simon

I also have the Onyx. Very nice indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well the saga continues and the quest for a new skoda went on. After travelling over 1900 miles over 4 weeks I went to a dealer in Nottingham to look at a vrs in yellow. It was petrol granted but it was a great drive and the price was outrageous for a dsg (shade over 10 grand for a 11 plater) low miles and full leather.

But while I was there, something took my eye. Over the road a Evans halshaw I saw a blue Audi s3.

You can guess the rest, £16,000 later I now own an Audi s3 in blue. Funny how things turn out isn't it?

ha ha, I did the opposite, went up to Leeds at the weekend to look at a 08 A4 estate and came back with a 09 Octavia 2.0 TDi DSG L&K - 95k on the clock but FSH, four new tyres and a recent service - £8k and a reasonable P/X on my 58 Jetta.

• 4 months later...

Ok, well the saga continues and the quest for a new skoda went on. After travelling over 1900 miles over 4 weeks I went to a dealer in Nottingham to look at a vrs in yellow. It was petrol granted but it was a great drive and the price was outrageous for a dsg (shade over 10 grand for a 11 plater) low miles and full leather.

But while I was there, something took my eye. Over the road a Evans halshaw I saw a blue Audi s3.

You can guess the rest, £16,000 later I now own an Audi s3 in blue. Funny how things turn out isn't it?

Good choice.

Well, why didn't anyone tell me that they are riddled with faults???? I've had it only a few months and its been back to the garage 13 times! I'm currently in an A1 TSI courtesy car....

What faults? Sounds like you got unlucky as they're usually pretty sound.

Where do I start? Ok I collected it and stopped off at the services on the way home and it just wouldn't start again. It was towed back home and it turned out to be a problem with the ecu. It was replaced and 3 weeks later the clutch went and then the passenger window fell down and now my steering rack is in for replacement. Not to mention the turbo requiring a new diverter valve. I'm fed up with it and I've only had it since July!

I tried to reject it in September but they kept telling me they would sort the issues

Yes it was, it's history did concern me though as it is a 57 plate with 23,000 miles and it has had 4 owners. I didn't realise this though until I got the v5 back. It's all covered under warranty but it concerns me that when it expires I'm left to foot the bill myself. I am getting rid when it comes back. Anyone interested?

Well, why didn't anyone tell me that they are riddled with faults???? I've had it only a few months and its been back to the garage 13 times! I'm currently in an A1 TSI courtesy car....

Ehhh... well it is a VW Group car what do you expect.

Ehhh... well it is a VW Group car what do you expect.

My last 6 cars have all been VW group and had no significant issues with any of them.

My concern with Evans Halshaw from looking to change my car last time was that although they claim to have the cheapest cars out there, the standard of them compared to other places would explain why they are cheaper that anywhere else in the first place. I went to a couple of their outlets (one being a main dealer) and I was quite shocked by the poor standard of the cars on the forecourt. I get the impression that a lot of their stock is probably sourced from auctions and ex-company cars fleets. The ones that I looked at were certainly not from cared for backgrounds.