YETI 1.2. (SE) DSG . . . have I made the right choice from the Yeti range?

mikespike

I was just looking at the AutoExpress drivers' survey video

http://bit.ly/skoda-driverpower

Each of the owners was driving a 4x4 diesel Yeti. So was the reviewer. The 2 wheel drive was nowhere to be seen and never referred to. In fact every review on video I have seen of the Yeti it is a 4x4 (usually top of the range Elegance) that is being tested.

I have just ordered an 1.2.TSI (SE) DSG - which is a 2 wheel drive.

Should I have bitten the bullet and bought the myself a diesel DSG 4x4?

About me, I am (just) over 60 and retire next year. Only my wife and I drive the car. We both prefer automatics and already own and drive a SEAT Ibiza DSG which has been OK (love the dsg) but is too small. Our mileage is less than 10,000 a year. probably even lower once I am no longer driving each day to work. We often ferry grandchildren around.

I don't ever in 40 years of driving recall going 'off-road' (intentionally) and live on the south coast where snow in winter is an extreme rarity. - but maybe a 4x4 has other advantages I havent thought of?

Also now wondering if the 1.2 engine is a bit underpowered for a car this size and weight? if you own one, what is your actual experience? if there had been a 1.4 DSG like there is in the Octavia range, I would have gone for that I guess.

So . . . have I made a good choice, or should I change the order to a 4x4 DSG diesel while there is still time?

I would be very grateful on you experienced Yetiers for your take on this question.

Hello Mikespike,

Don't be off by the top-spec 4x4 reviews, here you have some 1.2TSI reviews, including one from AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/255856/skoda_yeti_12_tsi.html

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=235

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/archive/skoda-yeti-12-tsi-review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/yeti/first-drives/skoda-yeti-1.2-tsi-dsg

As you can see, if you're not going to drive completely off-road and you don't want a "sports-like" performance, the 1.2TSI is perfect for you. Considering your mileage, I doubt a diesel might be affordable. I own a 1.2TSI DSG for three months now and it's just amazing :clap:

If you still feel insecure, go and try a free test drive at any Skoda dealer with both versions and judge by yourself, that's the best way to make sure you've made the right choice ;)

Welcome to the forum, and hope to hear from your new Yeti soon.

1.2 TSI is really great for buzzing about town and twisty back roads, much better than I expected.

As others have mentioned, if you want to tear up/down a motorway overtaking at 70>>80 it runs out of puff compared to the very much higher torque diesels.

I like the 1.2 very much and it sounds like the right choice for you, but others that do alot of overtaking above 50 would be better stumping up the extra cash for a bigger engine.

Car companies inveriably stock their press fleets with top of the range cars with every option known to man to impress the gullable journalists. It is not unknown for them to test a Porsche, BMW, Audi or Bentley with OPTIONS worth over £30,000 alone... So that is why the bulk of the Yeti tests are for the 4x4 models. It does not mean the lower engined and indeed 2wd cars are not good. Quite the opposite, since the value for money you get lower down a model range is often much better.

For your driving and from what you said I think you've made the perfect choice in the 1,2 DSG SE. It has everything you want spec wise and an auto gearbox. Sweet spot of the range in terms of value for money in my book.

Don't worry you will be fine with the 1.2 petrol, diesels with DPF filters etc. are not suitable at all for anyone doing less than about 15-20k per year, especially if you are not doing regular long distances at speed to clear the DPF.

I got my 1.2 Tsi DSG in March to replace a 2.0 Diesel DSG Octavia and like you I worried about the 'lack of power', In fact the 1.2 has been a revelation, quiet, smooth, ample power up to motorway speeds and lovely to drive.

I am about your age and retired doing about 10k per year, believe me you will love the 1.2 Yeti!

From your description I would say you have made the perfect choice.

The 1.2 is not a racing machine by any stretch of the imagination, but with 105bhp and plenty of torque it is more than adequate.

How many 1.6 and 1.8 engines were kicking out over 100bhp and the same torque a few years ago?

Hi there MikeSpike; welcome to the forum!

Overall, your choice of the 1.2 DSG should be fine for you - enjoy.

To reinforce comments of other;-

1. 10,000 miles pa, probably lots of local trips, petrol is best; diesel with DPF to be avoided.

2. Performance is more than adequate. I had a 1.2 manual Yeti for 48 hours as a loan car from my garage recently, in lieu of my CR140 4x4 DSG Yeti, and was pleasantly surprised at how sprightly it was to drive, particularly around town. Additionally, it coped commendably well on the Motorway although the lack of BHP/lb ft was noticeable for overtaking (it gained speed as opposed to accelerate).

3. Yeti 1.2 DSG heavy? I don't think so @ 1,370kg. My CR140 DSG is 105kg heavier with the 4x4 drivetrain. - sorry; misinformation see post # 11 below.

Overall; from your needs & desires it seems like you've made a good choice.

PS> 2WD is quite satisfactory for ordinary motoring and 4x4 is only really necessary for 'off-road' or, like me, you want to think of it as 'Quattro'. ;)

3. Yeti 1.2 DSG heavy? I don't think so @ 1,370kg. My CR140 DSG is 105kg heavier with the 4x4 drivetrain.

Slightly OT but that is pretty good the weight difference! I remember when I bought my aluminium bodied Audi A2 TDI that the 1,4 diesel was 90kg heavier than the 1,4 petrol. So these days for 105kg extra you get a diesel engine and for 15kg the 4x4 drivetrain (if the engine's extra weight can for argument's sake also be kept at 90kg). Amazing.

I have had my Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG since March & best milage have had is 36.5 ,really very poor after having my1.9 tdi dsg Octivia estate, apart from fuel milage it's first class

I am really very grateful for all you good people who took the trouble to reply - and the encouragement you gave me that I can rest easy with the decision I have made.

As for test driving the Yeti - its not as easy as some might think. I was able to test the manual version, but not the DSG - as they never seem to be in stock - but as I have experience of the DSG (the best automatic system I have driven in my life) I wasn't too worried about that. Driving round town was easy - but obviously we couldn't go bombing along the motorway with it. Seats are the same . . . they can be comfortable for the period of a test drive . . . but then when you come to your first long-haul you realise you have a problem! Which is why it is good to be able to talk to you guys, who have long-term experience of the car (whereas I have 20 minutes !)

What most impressed me with the Yeti was the standard of the build - it felt reassuringly quality. . . like when you close the door it has a solidity about it. And inside it all seemed upmarket. And the available luggage space is wonderful. It literally can be turned into a small van when you want that (we could have done with that on a recent trip to IKEA with one of my kids to part furnish her new home!)

Yes looks like (for once) I've done the right thing. :hi:

Hopefully I will be joining the happy ranks of Yetiers a few weeks/months from now.

Incidentally - VERY impressed with BRISODA and this forum - people couldn't be more helpful! THANK YOU

Slightly OT but that is pretty good the weight difference! I remember when I bought my aluminium bodied Audi A2 TDI that the 1,4 diesel was 90kg heavier than the 1,4 petrol. So these days for 105kg extra you get a diesel engine and for 15kg the 4x4 drivetrain (if the engine's extra weight can for argument's sake also be kept at 90kg). Amazing.

Sorry but gave some incorrect figures in post #8 above. Correct figures direct from the 2012 brochure are;-

1.2 TSI manual - 1265kg

1.2 TSI DSG - 1295 kg - (certainly no heavy weight)

2.0L TDI CR140 manual - 1455kg

2.0L TDI CR140 DSG - 1480

A few weight differences;

1.2TSI; manual vs. DSG - 30kg

CR140; manual vs. DSG - 25kg

1.2 TSI DSG vs. CR140 DSG - 185kg i.e. Diesel plus 4x4 drivetrain - (much more the weight difference I think 900000 was expecting).

back OT.

For your use go for the 1.2tsi DSG.

Unless you are a boy racer that is, then go for a remapped CR140 DSG for an extra £4000 approx.... :rofl: (plus remap)

I'm only doing about 15-16,000 miles and can barely justify the extra cost, apart from I take mine offroad occasionally and tow.

1.2 TSI DSG vs. CR140 DSG - 185kg i.e. Diesel plus 4x4 drivetrain - (much more the weight difference I think 900000 was expecting).

OT: that sounds more like it!

BOT: Mikespike it is our pleasure. My test drive was all of 10 minutes in a manual Yeti too. So I was in the same boat as you. You'll be fine!

I find it amazing that you can choose to spend a 5-figure sum of money based on a 10-20 minute test drive :o

Is this the dealers being tight with their test vehicles, or the potential customers not playing hard ball enough to get a reasonable drive? I've never bought a new car, but I know I'd be pushing for at least a day's use before I signed on the dotted line.

Sorry, not being a troll, just interested :thumbup:

I find it amazing that you can choose to spend a 5-figure sum of money based on a 10-20 minute test drive :o

Is this the dealers being tight with their test vehicles, or the potential customers not playing hard ball enough to get a reasonable drive? I've never bought a new car, but I know I'd be pushing for at least a day's use before I signed on the dotted line.

Sorry, not being a troll, just interested :thumbup:

I take your point - altho I did test drive the Fabia, Roomster, Octavia and Yeti that same day. And then spend probably another half hour looking around the Yeti and more time talking to the salesman - and my wife went back the next day to do here own assessment (including test drive) of the Yeti - once I had eliminated the other 3 cars.

It is VERY hard to find a DSG Yeti as demo car. so I had to make do with a manual - but then then I already own a DSG car, so the automatic shift wasnt an issue for me. I know the DSG suits me and my wife perfectly.

For my wife - the main question was - would she be able to get in and out of the car easily (she is 5ft 2 ins) she can; and what colour we would have . . . she has chosen Pacific Blue.

In fact what others on this forum have told be convinces me that I did make the right decision - despite not driving it for as long as would have been ideal.

Have you selected the spare wheel option instead of the standard gunk in a can and inflator it comes

with as standard.?

You loose about 2" of boot height but still a good size. It's about £80 as an option but around £300

as an after thought package as it also includes revised boot storage bins, jack and covers, not just the spare wheel.

We fit your profile (age and usage) and have found the 1.2 DSG SE more than meets our requirements.

Didn't want to risk the DPF problems of a Diesel doing short journeys and the £4k extra is some thing to bare in mind.

Edited by kibby

Have you selected the spare wheel option instead of the standard gunk in a can and inflator it comes

with as standard.?

You loose about 2" of boot height but still a good size. It's about £80 as an option but around £300

as an after thought package as it also includes revised boot storage bins, jack and covers, not just the spare wheel.

We fit your profile (age and usage) and have found the 1.2 DSG SE more than meets our requirements.

Didn't want to risk the DPF problems of a Diesel doing short journeys and the £4k extra is some thing to bare in mind.

No i didn't select a proper spare tyre - but reading what you say, I definitely will.

I selected cornering fog lights (my present car has them and I like them). Lumbar support (for our poor old backs!) and light assistant.

Forgot to ask - what are the problems?

No i didn't select a proper spare tyre - but reading what you say, I definitely will.

I selected cornering fog lights (my present car has them and I like them). Lumbar support (for our poor old backs!) and light assistant.

From my experience with Yeti's I would also consider auto wipers. Not normally a fan of such things but the Yeti has a habit of throwing water on the windshield if you hit any reasonable amount of standing water and the auto setting responds quicker than I certainly can to restoring visibility.

Oh just a point of interest have you considered the 16" over the17" wheel set-up :wonder:

Regards,

TP

Forgot to ask - what are the problems?

The DPF needs to remain clag-free and prefers long, steady drives to blast the soot through, rather than short, low speed trips, i.e. shopping, school run, going to tip.

It gets clogged and should give a warning, and then a half hour blast above 2.5k revs should clear it. Doesn't always, and it's a bit of a stupid design for people who just potter about. The OP has made the right choice with the petrol for his needs :thumbup:

From my experience with Yeti's I would also consider auto wipers. Not normally a fan of such things but the Yeti has a habit of throwing water on the windshield if you hit any reasonable amount of standing water and the auto setting responds quicker than I certainly can to restoring visibility.

Oh just a point of interest have you considered the 16" over the17" wheel set-up :wonder:

Regards,

TP

Is auto-wipers an option by itself?

16" wheels. I have heard that they give a more comfortable ride. if this is true then they would be better for us.

We don't do a lot of high-speed cornering or anything like that. :hi:

Do 16" wheels sound like a good idea for people like me?

This is going to sound very stupid . . . but what exactly is 16 or 17 inches? is it the width of he wheel? Or the diameter of the 'hub-cap' (or whatever its called nowadays)? And why does it make a difference to the ride quality?

If I want 16", how do I get them fitted? - seeing as it isn't stated as being an option (and I dont want to pay extra).

Mikespike - have you thought about getting 16" wheels with 215 60 R16 tyres rather than the 17" wheels the SE comes with as standard? You sound like me in that you would prefer the more comfortable ride from higher profile 16" tyres rather than harsher low profile 17" tyres. It is now a no cost option on the SE model and is well worth your consideration. Other advantages with the 16" wheels is that replacement tyres are less expensive (approx £20 per wheel) and the Moon alloys are a lot easier to keep clean than the standard 17" alloys!

We have a 1.2 DSG and a 170 4x4. So I feel qualified to comment...

You can feel the difference on the road, the 1.2 is noticably lighter and so is more agile.

In bad winter conditions it does need winter tyres as the front is quite light with a small engine in there.

If you don't go off road it's a great car and has the 7 speed box, better than the 6 speed in the diesel DSG which costs around £4000 more and gets similar fuel economy (despite being diesel) due to it's less efficient gearbox and additional weight of the 4x4 system.

If we could only have one Yeti, I'd probably just keep the 1.2 DSG. It's such a cracking package for a sensible price.

Mikespike - have you thought about getting 16" wheels with 215 60 R16 tyres rather than the 17" wheels the SE comes with as standard? You sound like me in that you would prefer the more comfortable ride from higher profile 16" tyres rather than harsher low profile 17" tyres. It is now a no cost option on the SE model and is well worth your consideration. Other advantages with the 16" wheels is that replacement tyres are less expensive (approx £20 per wheel) and the Moon alloys are a lot easier to keep clean than the standard 17" alloys!

Just checked the Yeti builder and the 16" option seems to have gone! However, if you call Skoda AND PERSIST they will get you 16" wheels, ask to speak to a Customer Service Executive if you have a problem. Many of us on this forum have opted for the more comfortable 16" wheels without problems.