More issues, front end knocking!

Hi all,

After doing the JKM rolling road say I noticed on the way home that when I tried to turn left it felt like the steering was locked then all of a sudden it would click and go back to normal. It didn't require any force to move the wheel but it was a noticeable feel through the steering wheel.

And from that point onwards It would appear every now and again.

After my brake incident the otherday I have been very tuned into my car and one thing I have notices is this notching/locking when turning left. It only happens the once whilst turning. but under braking you can hear it badly knocking and I also have wheel wobble as well!

I sat there last night before I went in doors and left an righted the steering wheel and it happens on quarter of a turn and doesn't sound very nice.

What could it be? I thought steering rack but apparently it wouldn't be localised to the left.

Drop links, ball joint, track rod end... Wishbone bushes... Could be any one of those. Could also be the top mounts/bearings for the struts... And check your springs. The last time I heard a clunk whilst turning one way it turned out there was a snapped spring.

Found out the problem, it's the centre nut on the wheel.

You can wobble the wheel and it moves and so does the brake disc but the hub stays in place.

What would cause it to come loose?

Found out the problem, it's the centre nut on the wheel.

You can wobble the wheel and it moves and so does the brake disc but the hub stays in place.

What would cause it to come loose?

A potential worn bearing. But maybe it was never tightened up properly. Take a socket and large breaker bar and tighten it up as see how that goes...

Ok, well its back on tight! it has absolutely buggered my pads though!

Whilst I was a GSF I did a quick buy and bought Honeywell Jurrid Pads. Are they any good. If not I will take them back.

Change it, it has moved from it's normal position and it's also mouldering a little. You don't want the ball-joint to become dry :sun:

Or at least just cut the strips and get a proper clamp or what you call it in english :rofl:

Edited by Chanodc

i would inject some more CV grease into the joint and get a jubilee clip worthy of the job, although if it is ripped replace it

and that is the inner cv boot or inner drive shaft boot. cv boot usually refers to outer rubber grease holding object

Edited by Lofty79

So do I need two of these...

http://www.vwspares....products_id=564

Or one of those and one of these?

http://www.vwspares....products_id=248

no, one of the top link, unless you have other side bad as well then get two of the top link.

The bottom link is steering rack gator....

cheers

Mark

no, one of the top link, unless you have other side bad as well then get two of the top link.

The bottom link is steering rack gator....

cheers

Mark

My near side boot is knicked/split and the one above is the offside

Just when I saw this "inner cv boot or inner drive shaft boot" I thought it might be something slightly different.

My near side boot is knicked/split and the one above is the offside

Just when I saw this "inner cv boot or inner drive shaft boot" I thought it might be something slightly different.

no such thing as offside/nearside cv boot. Where are you reading that??

it is either outer or inner CV boot.

Inner is from gearbox to drive shaft, outer is from drive shaft to wheel hub which is what your pic is from.

The second pic has nothing to do with a CV boot it is a rack boot (steering rack boot) so foget that one.

come on Damian I thought you were techi buddy... :giggle:

no such thing as offside/nearside cv boot. Where are you reading that??

it is either outer or inner CV boot.

Inner is from gearbox to drive shaft, outer is from drive shaft to wheel hub which is what your pic is from.

The second pic has nothing to do with a CV boot it is a rack boot (steering rack boot) so foget that one.

come on Damian I thought you were techi buddy... :giggle:

i would inject some more CV grease into the joint and get a jubilee clip worthy of the job, although if it is ripped replace it

and that is the inner cv boot or inner drive shaft boot. cv boot usually refers to outer rubber grease holding object

Il order 2 CV boots then haha, I am a tech guy, just with TV's and ****. Il leave the rubber boots up to you Mark ;)