Rear drum brakes - rusting

Just called up the Skoda dealer in Aberdeen to see if I could get them repainted.

Apparently they don't cover this under warranty or the service/maintenance plan? Does this sound right?

I've only had the car for just over 2 years and it's covered in rust now.

If its just the outside of the drums and purely cosmetic you will need to get them wire brushed down and paint some rust inhibitor and then some Hammerite or Heat Resistant paint on them.

Aberdeen in Winter 2010/11 had 10 weeks of Zero & 5 weeks of snow and lots of salt down,

You had a few days of salting this year.

4 weeks below zero.

Drums rust on winters like that if not properly cleaned of after a winter.

Actually some rust even when brushed over with Finnigans Waxyol and then cleaned after winter.

Just one of those things.

It can be what you wash your wheels that is worse on the Drums. (& also Discs.)

Washing Up liquid is particularly Corrosive as its full of Sodium, Drums can get bad surface corrosion on the exterior its just unfortunate..

george

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

Rusting drums is perfectly normal, look at any car with drums and they will be the same. Exposed unpainted steel rusts, which is what the drums are. The rust will only be cosmetic, and can easily be brushed off with a steel brush or wire wool and then painted over if you like, but its normal wear and tear and not a warranty issue.

I'd recommend Rustoleum paint, its really tough and comes in a wide range of colours

I painted my brakes and they came up awesome ;)

post-2-1299501874.jpg

Thanks for the tips Guys. I didn't know that they would rust so much in such a short time though.

Might just go and paint my calipers and the drums green now :D

I think is is poor that just the visible surface gets a thin coat of primer.

From a performance/safety viewpoint the rust after 10 years will make no difference but it looks awful with alloy wheels.

I removed my drums and painted with silver brake calliper paint which IMO makes it visually less obvious the car has rear drums rather than discs.

Many years ago when I went drag racing there was a paint called sperex VHT which was used on exhaust mainifolds and down pipes, the link below shows such paint which lists brake drums amongst its applications. Extract plus link below.

VHT Brake, Caliper. Drum & Rotor Coatings have been specifically designed for the custom detailing of brake components. It is heat resistant to 900°F (482°C) and will not chip, crack, fade or rust even under extremes of operation or road and weather conditions. It is easy to apply, dries quickly and is remarkably resistant. Careful preparation is essential.

http://www.vhtpaint....s/caliperpaint/

Edited by The Hood

I'd recommend Rustoleum paint, its really tough and comes in a wide range of colours

I painted my brakes and they came up awesome ;)

post-2-1299501874.jpg

I might be wrong but surely paint on the discs like that cannot be good at all?!

I might be wrong but surely paint on the discs like that cannot be good at all?!

Of course not , its a joke