ADVICE: ARE YOU PLEASED/DO YOU REGRET YOU BOUGHT YOUR YETI?

Paul_Bowden

Had mine six months and 6,000 miles.

I should have got a heated screen, the de-mister is pathetic to the point of being dangerous. Last Feb start car on drive, put on full de-mist, scrape and completely clear windows, mirrors and lights, get in drive 50 yards then stop due ice INSIDE the screen! also when car running on drive there are exhaust fumes in the car. No fumes at any other time. :rain:

Never had any problems with demist on mine. In fact found it rather good during last winter, start engine, turn heat up, press demist button, and by the time I have scaped the ice from the drivers side, the passenger side has started to melt. Mind you this is on a petrol car, diesels take a bit longer to warm up.

I too will be up for buying another Yeti, but will wait till facelift.

Had the Yeti for 11 months, covered 45,000 miles, average mpg for mixed driving is 43mpg on trip 2 (never been reset since I got the car) It does everything I need it to do, from towing rally cars on trailers to a caravan, the children fit in and the dog too.

It got me through snow in Braemar and off fields at a country show and it also mashes along the motorway, also I have my sone learning to drive in it!

Negatives, ride can be a bit hard but handling would be compromised if it were softer, apart from that I would and will order another in 2014 when this has done well over 100k miles.

34000 miles so far on a 2 year old 110bhp 2wd elegance.

Small and manoeverable for work use, can go down a rough track with good ground clearance, high seating position, seats comfortable. I like the style personally.

Dislikes.

No spare wheel with mine, (company car so can't get one fitted now), already had the puncture and 3 hour delay waiting for a repair, which would have been a relay 100 miles home had it happened an hour later.

Harsh and bumpy ride, rear passengers in particular often complain.

Rattles and noise from rear suspension that the dealer can't cure.

Boot is too small

Relatively thirsty, I get 50ish, colleagues in golfs etc get 65+

Lots of people I meet and many colleagues dislike the cars looks and keep saying so!

Poor performance in snow with 2wd and standard tyres (winter tyres are not an option as company vehicle)

Horribly innefective automatic wipers, why can't we just have a time delay function

Would I have another one? I have to keep it till 4 years old.

Possibly, if the refresh improves it, but I will look around first at the competition.

Edited by kenfowler3966

A final thank you to all who have contributed: really useful, for both the broad outline (very positive, I think) and the helpful comments on details.

I have just ordered:

YETI 2.0 TDI CR 110 2WD 'AMBITION' (which I think corresponds to UK 'SE'), with the following extras:

Metallic Paint - 'bleu lave' (= 'Petrol Blue')

ESP

Amundsen Satnav (with France & W Europe)

Towbar

Mobile Device Interface (USB etc connections in glovebox for iPod etc)

Extension of guarantee to 4 years (French norm is 2 years only) and 120,000 km

Adjustable lumbar support for driver's and front passenger's seat

Dealer quoted 3-4 months (maximum) for delivery - we'll see!

I have just ordered:

YETI 2.0 TDI CR 110 2WD 'AMBITION' (which I think corresponds to UK 'SE')

Where did You order the car, If I may ask?

And good to know "Ambition" is UK "SE" (always confuses me when reading about all these S, E, SE etc.)

;) I'm waiting for a (140 4WD) "Ambition" as well :thumbup: .

Edited by Hirundo

A final thank you to all who have contributed: really useful, for both the broad outline (very positive, I think) and the helpful comments on details.

I have just ordered:

YETI 2.0 TDI CR 110 2WD 'AMBITION' (which I think corresponds to UK 'SE'), with the following extras:

Metallic Paint - 'bleu lave' (= 'Petrol Blue')

ESP

Amundsen Satnav (with France & W Europe)

Towbar

Mobile Device Interface (USB etc connections in glovebox for iPod etc)

Extension of guarantee to 4 years (French norm is 2 years only) and 120,000 km

Adjustable lumbar support for driver's and front passenger's seat

Dealer quoted 3-4 months (maximum) for delivery - we'll see!

A diesel and no mention of a heated screen, mine takes up to seven miles to fully warm up in really cold weather, it's not very expensive give it a thought you have time to change your mind. Other than that enjoy!

Dislikes: Black roof wasn't an option when I got mine, small boot compared to the Octavia, low trailer noseweight limit compared to the competition, taller so harder to wash the roof!

Niggles: Sunroof blind closing of its own free will!

Iain: It is not that expensive to have your roof covered in black gloss vinyl film!!! And it will definitely be cheaper than the near £500 Škoda wants for painting it.

As to the sunroof blind: There is a thread for that. Just untick the "Auto close on rain" option in the Maxidot and voila the blind will stop closing itself.

I'll add my two penn'orth.

Now on my second Yeti which I collected on 18/7 and four days later set off on holiday to Austria.

The first, a 140 Elegance was a great car. The new one, an SE Plus 140 DSG is fantastic.

After 1,400 miles, the mpg is improving noticeably. It's averaged 43 so far but on trips this week it's been showing an average as high as 59. Bear in mind that while I'm driving retivey gently, I'm also in the Alps so wherever I go, I have some long and quite steep slopes to cover. I also have a 420 litre box on the roof so that can't help either.

I would also mention that for some reason, when I notified my insurers (Saga) of the change, my premium fell.

As for the DSG gearbox....I just can't describe how much of a difference this makes to the overall experience.

Would I buy a third? You bet!!

John

As for the DSG gearbox....I just can't describe how much of a difference this makes to the overall experience.

Oh I can vouch for that! I will never buy another car without some form of DSG. It makes the car sooooo relaxing to drive. The cruise control also works from taking off at a roundabout / traffic light unlike a manual car that switches it off the moment you touch the clutch! So on a dual carriageway you slow down for a roundabout and once out the other side you just flick the cruise back on and the car goes through the gears up to the set speed. Bliss.

Iain: It is not that expensive to have your roof covered in black gloss vinyl film!!! And it will definitely be cheaper than the near £500 Škoda wants for painting it.

As to the sunroof blind: There is a thread for that. Just untick the "Auto close on rain" option in the Maxidot and voila the blind will stop closing itself.

Hi Johann

I have ticked the appropriate box in Maxidot ... did it when I got the car, but it still inches forward a bit every few days ... it doesn't close fully.

I will wait till its car change time to worry about the black roof ... thinking about silver with black bits next time!

Oh I can vouch for that! I will never buy another car without some form of DSG. It makes the car sooooo relaxing to drive. The cruise control also works from taking off at a roundabout / traffic light unlike a manual car that switches it off the moment you touch the clutch! So on a dual carriageway you slow down for a roundabout and once out the other side you just flick the cruise back on and the car goes through the gears up to the set speed. Bliss.

And what's more, on long descents I've realised that it changes down to give you engine braking without having to manually hold a lower gear.

I also think it's a smoother set up than he DSG on my wife's 1.2 Roomster.

John

Hi Johann

I have ticked the appropriate box in Maxidot ... did it when I got the car, but it still inches forward a bit every few days ... it doesn't close fully.

I will wait till its car change time to worry about the black roof ... thinking about silver with black bits next time!

Do you press and hold the keyfob to fold the mirrors in? If so remember this will also move the blind for as long as you hold the button. THAT is why it is not fully closed. Stand low next to the car looking up at the blind (with windows and sunroof shut), press and hold the Lock button on the keyfob and the shade will move until you release the Lock button...

No regrets.. It does a lot of motorway cruising, great economy from the diesel, evceedingly comfortable.

Does this mean you only fill up with BP?

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Do you press and hold the keyfob to fold the mirrors in? If so remember this will also move the blind for as long as you hold the button. THAT is why it is not fully closed. Stand low next to the car looking up at the blind (with windows and sunroof shut), press and hold the Lock button on the keyfob and the shade will move until you release the Lock button...

Oh now that I didn't know .. will have a look.

21000 miles, 28 months, absolutely no regrets!

Ok, there are things I wish were different, but then no car is perfect. But at the price, I cant think of any other car that does everything that the Yeti does so competently.

What would I change?

Firstly fuel economy - an overall average to date of 31mpg isn't brilliant, but then mine is a 160hp 1.8T petrol that (apparently) will do 0-60 in around 8 seconds. I could have bought a diesel, but apart from the 8 month waiting list, diesel just doesn't stack up financially for the mileage that I do.

I wish that water wouldn't run off the roof and onto the front seats when you open the front doors/windows in the wet - a subtle gutter as on a BMW 3 series would solve that.

Then..... well it starts getting difficult.

I wish the "leather" on the rear centre armrest wasn't so vulnerable to attack from things in the boot, and I wish the backs of the rear seats were more solid for carrying stuff when you have just the backrest folded forwards.

I wish the front seat maxi-box centre armrest had more fore/aft adjustment

I wish the centre rear seat would "double fold" forwards without fouling the back of the maxi-box air vents.

I wish the heater/air con controls and sat nav screen were higher in the dash so they were nearer the driver's line of sight (as in the Tiguan).

And I wish that VAG printed 30, 50 & 70 mph on the speedometer (fat chance of that happening!)

And that's about it.... though I'd have liked another 6" in the length of the car to give a bigger boot. Maybe a 'Yeti plus' at some time in the future?

What do I like? - virtually everything. The performance is fantastic. The road holding unbelievable , the comfort excellent, the off road capability amazing, and the price/value for money...... incredible.

No, it's not perfect, but it's damn close!

And it's my first Skoda, so I have no brand loyalty. Would I buy another? Yes - though this one is going to have to last me quite a few more years yet!

Edited by speedsport

Absolutely no regrets after 29,000 miles, even though I have not used it for towing and in muddy fields as I expected.

Great in snow though and virtually faultless.

Cannot believe it is almost three years. Time flies when you are enjoying yourself.....

1.2TSi SE 37,500 miles

+ Excellent design and excecution, plenty space, sufficiently frugal, excellent handling, comfortable, versatile, extremely flexible engine

- Road noise, unreliable, appaling dealerships service levels. Can I say that again - appaling dealerships.