Advice needed before spending...

Hi everyone, I'm about to spend a bit of cash on a new dual mass flywheel and clutch, I'm wondering, is there anything I should look out for or avoid ?

My local skoda guy suggests LUK and advises against the single mass conversion...

Also while I'm here, my rear suspension is creaking loudly as people get in, I've just fitted new Sachs shocks, should I be replacing the springs too ?

My car is a 1.9Tdi.

Cheers guys...

Hi everyone, I'm about to spend a bit of cash on a new dual mass flywheel and clutch, I'm wondering, is there anything I should look out for or avoid ?

My local skoda guy suggests LUK and advises against the single mass conversion...

Also while I'm here, my rear suspension is creaking loudly as people get in, I've just fitted new Sachs shocks, should I be replacing the springs too ?

My car is a 1.9Tdi.

Cheers guys...

You sure it is the suspension? On mine it was noise from the handbrake. Putting handbrake on harder stopped it.

• Like 1

It's a common problem, as handbrake is not so effective as regular brakes (handbrake is triggered by wire and regular is by hydraulics). Handbrake uses the same pads as regular pad, only difference is that handbrake uses this screw type mechanism to hold disc in place. If you don't pull the handbrake far enough, little movement between pads and disc will occur and that's making the sound.

I've just ordered a new clutch, DMF and slave cylinder for my car.

I too was advised against the SMF conversion by the garage due to some issues they have had after fitting them for other people.

I got all the bits from euro car parts as I was emailed a 25% discount code that included clutches etc (the Brisky 25% excludes these).

For the parts I have paid £361. This excludes fitting as the gearbox is off anyway for replacement so will have to wait and see what I am charged for that.

Also I was told by my garage that normally you can use either the LUK or Sachs one so long as they both match but on my gearbox it has to be the Sachs which was ok as it was actually slightly cheaper than the LUK.

Phil

Yes it is highly advised to change the slave cylinder while you're there as they're not unknown to fail and while you have the box off you may as well.

Phil

I've had a SMF & it lasted about 10 months & started to not let me put in gear, changed it as it was under warranty for a DMF & it's been spit on, I got the slave too but my gearbox is on its way now I think :( I got my parts from europarts.

I've also got that creaking when you sit it the back & thought it was the springs, well I guess everyone has got it haha