Tips on how to get rid of smell of smoking?

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

@ G.P. Yes, I have decided I will have the car if it's a good price.

@sk4gw It was their demonstrator, they had it for a few months and sold it to that only owner, I have asked for service history and they said it hasn't had it first service yet, other than that nothing reported.

I think I can live with it being a smoke car if they carry out all their promises and I can still work at it over time too, although yesterday was a huge improvement over the first time.

Being on the IOW this is a local car, nowhere really to push the car hard and it was a 'mature' owner :-)

I'm awaiting some deals today or Monday so hopefully the car will be coming home soon, :-)

It is at £1000 more than i would even consider paying or have to pay to get one.

They need to do a 1st service

& 12 months Road tax before i would even consider taking it.

Look at the Alloys, look at the tyres & the Discs for surface rust.

None are probably any problem but still look closely.

There are loads of vRS's now around the country, so dont just jump on that one unless you are desperate.

or Love it, because you are going to need to keep it for a few years or really take a drop in money if you wanted to move it on.

They (the Dealership) will come down on price in 2 to 3 weeks time unless it is sent to Auction before then.

Dont cry over spilt milk if you miss it.

Loads of them available. JMO obviously.

best check out asking prices Nationally on them, for a better idea.

& look at ones on offer at none Skoda Dealerships now,

you should be able to get £500 less than that asking price easily without a trade in,

they might go on £300 this week but they will be snapping your hand off shortly on an offer.

Just try your luck, but always History & record of Warranty work.

If their Customer was a regular then sometimes you can speak with them.

Well in some dealerships.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Nice ones there in Black & Silver.

Dont only put skoda , fabia, Automatic & vrs,

also look at 'unlisted', none showing in unlisted gearbox today, but there was last week.

george

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

I forgot to add it's been there a couple of weeks, there was a recent local car show and it came in the day before, hence not been de-smoked until recently.

I've dealt with this salesman for 10 years at 2 different dealerships so I know him well, he knows me and that I am not going to rush into it.

Alloys are clean except 1 small scuff, there is a small scratch and 1p size dent by drivers door handle, other than that it looks spotless.

Front tyres are down to about 4mm, rears have loads of life left in them.

Tax expires November so I'm guessing that will be it's 2nd birthday.

From what you are hinting, I shouldn't be looking at paying any more than £11,000 tops, anything less should be worth considering?

Edit : First service would be done before purchase.

Edited by MilgeS

My ex demo car is 2 years old tomorrow, first registered that is.

10 plate 2010.

(new tax disc arrived today)

It had done 4500 miles by November 2010.

13500 miles done now, but not by the engine really.

Just see how low they will go to get the sale.

You can obviously get your own £135 road tax, & get the door repair done but being metallic Green i would have them using their Invisable 'Dents Away' guy or see if it needs a bigger repair on the door from a proper panel beater..

With the alloys i was thinking more on any show from Corrosion yet.

Have fun haggeling.

george

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

Forgot,

Its needing its 2 year (20,000 mile type) service.

I dont need one as not going for a Warranty claim, but got a quote last week.

£173, Oil, Pollen Filter, Report & the usual stuff Electronic check, (they are going around the car looking and noting basically.)

oiling or greasing hinges, looking, inspecting and reporting. etc etc.

Fact is its different from a £85 or there abouts One year 10,000 mile service.

3 Years is supposed to be Brake Fluid Changed. 4 years spark plugs, air filter or whatever.

None of that being important if changing & modifying and doing stuff outwith service times.

Your needing the Service Stamps correct & your Warranty valid tho.

george

• Like 1

I'll check out the service book if I proceed any further, I thought he said first service due but maybe he said the service history only consisted of first service. Cheers

Edit : On my Monte they wanted £152 for a first service, I moaned about the price and decided to go elsewhere to my cousins place of work, they done a warranty service (using correct oil/filters/etc) for £49, and I've had the second service done there too for £100, all inclusive of original parts etc and book stamped.

Some say I should keep the dealers stamps going but my Monte is full time driving instruction and will be pretty much worthless after 3 or 4 years, dealer stamps in the book won't make it worth much more, if anything, and the £100 I saved on the first service is a week or two's fuel for me.

Edited by MilgeS

I'm doing a mates MG ZS this week along with a full detail i'll post a few pics , but no smelly vision luckily

MilgeS,

Its fair enough getting a saving on a Service done by someone else thats not a Franchised Skoda Workshop..

But they need to pick up on any items that may need done under Warranty, like Dampers, Springs Track Rod ends,

Maybe Soft wear updates,

just anything.

The mechanic doing it for you will not know any Skoda 'notifications on Up-grades or Replacement parts that might of cropped up,

so unless its re-call work, you will not know.

Then its back to you to go to a SKoda Garage & get it checked and work done if your mechanic is aware or spots problems.

You pays your money or not at take the gamble.

george.

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

sk4gw

I understand what you're saying, I've had sensor troubles 3 times so each time it goes in i've asked them to check the updates, also at the service they made me aware of brake cyclinders seeping, it went back to Skoda for those under warranty.

To be fair, if I didn't have the sensor problems I probably would have paid the extra at the dealer just so it had the proper 'once over', but they are pretty good there and look after me when I take it in.

I'm with those who say don't touch it. I would NEVER allow anyone to smoke in my car and that includes swmbo!! I have never been able to get rid of tobacco smoke smell from any car in years gone by and even after a good shampoo leaving it smelling fresh and clean the damn smoke smell will reapear after a while.